Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Club Requests and Member Submissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Serial Numbers to Look for and Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connor38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Connor,
5mil, nice! I keep missing out on one for my collection.

Any info on a possible original is good info, please do submit a datasheet.
These can be found in the forum section that says datasheets.

There is a current thread talking about slingwell markings where your info would be appreciated. 

I did see that and I do recall a number in my sling well. When I’m back home, likely for 4th of July, I’ll strip her down and do a thorough analysis. 
Ben Cartwright SASS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Cartwright SASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 5:47pm
I have 3 M1's, the latest a Quality Hardware from Midway, but the two Winchesters (CMP) and the QH don't seem to be in the serial number ranges on the chart

Winchester  12114XX
                     13339XX
Quality H.     15663XX
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

Commander Spock "sometime having is not so pleasing as wanting"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 6:15pm
Ben, please see our serial number page for the assigned serial ranges to the prime contractors.

the numbers on the list on page one are serial number ranges that we have not observed. Most of the missing numbers are due to the contract cancellations and the prime contractor did not finish.  These are denoted as "A" on the right side of the serial number ranges in this thread.

There are serial ranges where we need more information and these are denoted as "B"

There appears to be number ranges that appear to have been skipped. These are denoted as "C"

Ben Cartwright SASS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Cartwright SASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2021 at 7:24pm
Thank you, I get it now!
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

Commander Spock "sometime having is not so pleasing as wanting"
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2021 at 7:17am
5834657 mixmaster here, barrel appears original, proofed both by Winchester (WP) and Saginaw (P).
CRMJROWE View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRMJROWE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2021 at 11:25am
Noticed you were interested in any item with certain serial numbers.

The Carbine we have inherited from family is:

Qual HMC

painted on the gun handle is "C" "68" and shoulder strap is attached.

Making further inquiries as to where it is from. Unfortunately, living relative that originally had the item is deceased. Relative did not serve, but family friend served in Army. Not sure when or where, he died in mid-70's estimated age 60-65.

Intend to get an evaluation in the near future. I'll post any interesting comments.

Unable to upload photos on this forum.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2021 at 11:54am
Please note that these numbers are very narrow bands of serial numbers.
For the full serial blocks as assigned please see our serial number page

CRMJROWE, I see you have posted as a guest. You must be a registered member and signed in to upload photos
CRMJROWE View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRMJROWE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2021 at 12:28pm
Got it! Apologies on misreading the chart. Still interested in photos?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2021 at 12:53pm
We always love photos.
If you are registered then you can sign in and post in the "Carbines of the Collectors" section or the General forum.

Billy Fort View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Fort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 1:54pm
 I just found one of these receivers a Underwood marked 249XXX it has a small w marked on back of receiver  and can anyone post a pic of a underwood buttplate for me please?
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 2:16pm
Billy,

Butt plate examples for all manufacturers can be found at this link for the Club site:

Edit:  The known documented serial numbers are:

What is being looked for are allotted numbers for W between 2491867 and 2572519 which have not been observed and are thought to have likely not been used. So, all depends on what your 249xxxx is. 

Would be best to submit a photo, if you happen to have or can get one, for documentation, but need to know the whole s/n.

Chad

Edited by SSNPingjockey - Jun 27 2021 at 2:35pm
Chad
USN Retired
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Fort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 3:54pm
My  RECEIVER IS 2491995 with an small W on rear of receiver, bought it just a reciever and I'm building a gun around it.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 4:46pm
Billy, you need to log in, you are posting as a guest. No way to send you info.

Is there a flaming bomb or a circle around the W?
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Fort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2021 at 5:50pm
no bomb or circle
Doogie632 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doogie632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 1:39pm
I have inherited an M1 .30 from a relative.  Upon inspection, it has General Motors Div 11-48 on the barrel.  Ser# 920000 range. While researching, I cannot find any production dates or possible value. I know inland was part of Gen Mtrs but there are no stamps or markings on there. Any help? 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 2:25pm
look closer at that barrel date, 11-43 would be more likely. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Doogie632 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doogie632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 5:05pm
you are correct, old man eyes. Question is, does the lack of Inland markings change value?  Where can I research this more? 
MilsurpsUSGI View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilsurpsUSGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 8:00pm
Doogie, I'm curious as to which areas of your Carbine are missing Inland markings? If an adjustable rear sight has been installed, the manufacturer's markings can be partially hidden. Click on the large CC banner at the top this page for lot's of helpful information. - Bob
Doogie632 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doogie632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2021 at 10:20pm
correct again. Just took a little cleaning. Thanks for the help. ser# 9255xx

Edited by Doogie632 - Sep 12 2021 at 10:46pm
Matt_X View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2021 at 7:59am
So that number falls in the blocks of serial numbers assigned Inland.
and its not amongst the groups of numbers that seem to have been skipped (see first post of this thread).
According to Ruth & Duff The M1 Carbine Owner's Guide, your 925xxx probably was produced October to December 1943.  There are examples of carbine barrel date stamps leading final assembly and approval of complete carbines of 30 to 60 days.  Someone more knowledgable maybe has more insight specifically into Inland's production.  But it seems likely your carbine was finished December 1943.

Probably should start a thread about your carbine with some photos.  Its always nice when there is some provinance as in your case that its been in the family.

Of the books I've bought, I've found Riesch the most helpful for getting started with identifying parts.
If you get a copy, insert an erratta page in case any of these known errors affects something you're looking at. http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/craig-riesch-7th-edition-review_topic5276.html ;
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>