Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldgeorgian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking receiver
    Posted: Apr 06 2019 at 9:05pm
Recently, I was able to find a five-digit Inland receiver from a member here which I was going to use in my Mixmaster carbine with the Choate composite stock.  However, after getting the receiver, I realized that I just had to put together a complete correct carbine and have been sourcing parts far and wide.  Still a ways to go but that is all part of the fun.  As I have a fair number of various parts including a Rock-Ola barrel, Winchester trigger housing and internals, Standard bolt and so forth, I am also returning to my hobby Mixmaster project as well.......looking for a USGI receiver.  Anyone have any sources or can point me in the right direction.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 7:33am
Receivers turn-up from time-to-time on auction sites. It always makes me wonder why. Why would someone part out a perfectly good receiver. Is it because they can get more for a receiver than they can a carbine with a shot-out barrel? It always makes me wonder what’s wrong with it....😳.

I understand it’s a labor-of-love and I have enough parts to build at least one carbine. When I go searching for a receiver or barrelled receiver, the cost for me to build one up from my spare parts always exceeds the cost of just purchasing a good USGI shooter out-the-gate and I never get any further.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 8:33am
The reason perfectly good receivers are sold, with or without good barrels attached, is because one can make good money for doing so. Like some other carbines parts it can be a crapshoot in the results, but unless there's an issue with the receiver, it should do okay.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

The reason perfectly good receivers are sold, with or without good barrels attached, is because one can make good money for doing so. Like some other carbines parts it can be a crapshoot in the results, but unless there's an issue with the receiver, it should do okay.

Yep....who knows. Maybe the carbine barrel got hacksawed by Bubba, the gun got burned in a house-fire or ran-over by a semi. I’d rather think that they figured-out the receiver can be sold for close to the price of a complete gun and the remaining good parts sold-off as gravy.

OP.....good luck on finding your receiver. Restoration of an abandoned carbine is always a worthy endevor!
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 3:23pm
Other reasons causing the part out is that it was already a put together Carbine so breaking it up is just returning it to a previous state.
I've seen several Wins and Rockolas with incorrect barrels for 800ish that would be worth more with correct barrel, but finding one is sometimes a challenge.
CMP also sold receivers and barreled receivers, some with poor barrels.
In this area people commonly won't pay the actual cost of buying a decent Carbine so you either take a loss, get under current value due to your area or you can part it out as mentioned above.
It may have been a correction someone spent too much on to recover costs.
It may have had a counter-bored barrel or terrible taper problems that someone wanted rid of and never completed a swap.
It might have had a sporterized barrel.
I've seen an original very low production Carbine someone started to hacksaw the barrel short for some reason, but didn't finish.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 9:07pm
I have a WRA Springtube Receiver here that belongs to a friend.
He bought a complete mixer carbine at a farm auction.
Brought it to me to checkout.
The barrel wasn't a WRA and I can't remember which maker it was.
He had gave too much for it while in the heat of bidding.
I found that the Gas piston's nut was ruined by someone trying to remove it with who knows what.
I was able to remove it but found the threads in the cylinder were trashed and seen the gas chamber was cracked open traveling from the small hole.
I pulled the barrel off, showed it to him and not being happy about it he carried on bending the barrel over his knee in to a U shape. Easy enough for a ex Pro ball player at 6'7" 275 lbs.
He asked me to sell off what I could to recover what funds I could.
I still haven't sold any of it. I know to get the most $$ I can for him I'll have to list it on GB.
I wish he hadn't thrown the barrel away. It would have made for a good picture with it hand tight on the receiver.
I could have told you guys I had a 'Experimental Special' shoot around the corners carbine.

Plus with the U bent barrel screwed on I believe I could have mailed it to a C and R holder.

Also,
I believe I recall a friend near CMP South telling me when they were selling Barreled Receivers that wouldn't Head Space...... IIRC

Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Also,
I believe I recall a friend near CMP South telling me when they were selling Barreled Receivers that wouldn't Head Space...... IIRC

Charlie-Painter777

I bought exactly one of those "junk BR's" - as Orest described them - via mail order for $125. I received a beautiful QHMC that appeared like a high end service grade and headspaced perfectly. I built it up with all QHMC parts. Shoots great too with a muzzle of 1.5. I heard folks were carrying them out of the South store by the arm full.

In hindsight, I should have ordered a few more for the peanuts they were asking. Or bought some of the "boltless" versions they had back when I thought bolts were hard to come by :( Ahh, the good old days.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 10:31pm
GSB28,
I'm glad you scored.
I tried hard to get my buddy to stop by.... but he wouldn't.
Said he was doing me a favor.
I've heard of others that were pleased.....
Don't really recall hearing/reading complaints.

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply