Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking M1 Universal or Chiappa Front Sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking M1 Universal or Chiappa Front Sight
    Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 3:34pm
Hello all. I've been searching the net through and through. Cannot find anyone selling this post war m1 Carbine .30 front sight, with screw on the Top and no key/groove underneath. If anyone knows, please point me in the right direction. Thank you
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 4:37pm
They turn up on places like ebay now-n-then, but not cheap. I believe Numrich Arms is out of stock.
Gromanc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 4:42pm
ok..thanks so much
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 4:49pm
Universal barrel dimensions are close to GI and  I have often considered getting one of the set-screw type to tweak a front sight, but never did. I have heard of at least one carbine enthusiast that added a set-screw to a GI sight to tweak and line-up the rear sight. 

If you can’t find one, may have to resort to modifying a GI front, but please use a repo.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2020 at 8:45am
GromanC

Chiappa sells the front sight on their website. Along with the set screw.

For their 9mm carbine, the front sight is item #60, part # 740.470, on this page:

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/parts-list.php?id=202&idfam=32

For their .22 carbine, the front sight is item #27, part # 750.158, on this web page:

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/parts-list.php?id=200&idfam=31

Just a heads up fyi, these parts are metric. I haven't tried swapping the 9mm front sight with a GI sight. I did try to swap the .22 front sight with a GI front sight. The diameter of the barrel was slightly smaller than GI so I would assume the inside diameter of their .22 front sight would need to be opened up a bit to fit a GI barrel.

The diameter of their 9mm barrel is larger than their .22 version.

At the price they sell them for you might want to get one of each. They lack the light vent holes on either side of the sight but this is easily rectified with some cautious drilling.

As for their set screw and the one used by Universal, I'd use the one by Universal as the plastic Chiappa sights can be rethreaded fairly easily.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Gromanc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gromanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 8:31pm
Hey Jim, sorry for delay..but really appreciate the input...
Nimrod68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimrod68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2020 at 8:47pm
Are you still interested?
I've got one on my Rockola! I'm in the process of replacing it with a Rockola front sight.
When it is done, I was going to list it on eBay for $40 + actual shipping cost. But we can do that privately.

Always wanted an M1 Carbine. Finally got one at age 70, and it's a ROCK-O-LA!!
Nimrod68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimrod68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2020 at 8:53pm
Forgot to mention that mine appears to be quite old, matching the parkerized barrel. It has oval side vent holes, otherwise identical to M1 Carbine Type I sight, but no slot or holes for key and pin, just the allen screw. Appears to possibly have a brass spacer beneath it to prevent marring of barrel surface. 

Gromanc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2020 at 9:08am
Hey..thanks for reaching out.  are you sure it would fit the Universal Carbine?  I found that barrel is a tiny bit thicker then its USGI counterpart.  And I'll definitely think about it. I know if Numrich does sell them, they sell for $15.  But Ill think about it..thank you!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2020 at 10:00am
For reference purposes, I have replaced sights on Universals with GI sights. The GI sight is very hard to press-on and if you ever have to remove it, get the Dremel out and cut the band. I broke a Matrix puller trying to get one off. I believe the sight offered will more easily fit as it appears to be Universal in nature.

If you don’t want it, I have a need for one.
Nimrod68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nimrod68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2020 at 3:40pm
Will be away for a week and will get back to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply