Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Searching for info on Dutch .30M1 use

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Searching for info on Dutch .30M1 use
    Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 8:03am
Hi you .30m1 fans. In Holland it is only allowed to own max. 5 guns on your weapons permit. There is however, the possibility, to obtain a special museum/collectors permit that permits more, but it is very difficult to get.
I want to save .30m1's, many of them are de-activated here and you should not do those things to historical firearms in my opinion.

After being on a waiting list for many years the official club that has the contact with the Dutch government finally contacted me for a possibility of obtaining such a special collectors licence. But it is a long way to go. First you must do a valid research project on a specific historical weapon and present that before a board. After that you will become a novice member and after some time, when nobody objects, you finally can become a full member of the club and they will assist you with obtaining this special Dutch weapons permit.

So it is still a long way to go. After many months of thought I finally decided to do my research project on my favorite firearm: the .30m1 of course. 
I want to do a research project on the use of the .30m1 in the Dutch Army/Navy and Police. 

I know that for example the radio-corps used the .30m1 as a standard firearm, and I also know from some police officers, that the Dutch riot control police used them for firing gas grenades.
I'm not 100% sure, but I also think that the Dutch marines used them. I'm not sure is the Dutch KCT (commando corps of the army) used them, but they also probably did.

I also think, that the .30m1 was extensively used in the war of independance of Indonesia just after the war and the independance war for New Guinea in the 60's.

I also think the .30m1 was used by Dutch forces in Korea when they were fighting under US command.

Furthermore I'm going to take apart many .30m1's that I can find from fellow shooters at my local shooting club to document them and the parts. Also for filling in the standard registration form.
I will also do that with the 3 .30m1's we have at our club. As far as I can recall they are all 3 Inlands.

With regard to the .30m1 I'm very fortunate to be in Holland, since there many of the .30m1's stayed after WWII, that is maybe also the reason that still plenty of those carbines can be found over here for fair prices (a few hundred Euro's) so that makes them a nice (and not too expensive) collectors item.
Same goes for Harley WLA liberators (a friend of mine bought one a few months ago), but those prices are rising steep during the last few years (a WLA is about 15.000 euro's over here now).

So I am looking forward to any info/links/photo's on the subject of Dutch use of the .30m1 carbine by the Army/Navy/Police. I'm also looking for tips on what books to read on this subject: foreign (and preferably Dutch) use of the .30m1.

Your help in this matter, for my research project, is much appreciated!

gr. from Holland.
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 8:51am
Wishing you the very best luck with your endeavor. It is an interesting pastime.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 11:08am
Welcome PatrickDuis.

I'll try to add some info I have the the Dutch and U.S. carbines later tonight.

Someone you might want to communicate with if you haven't already.

Claus Espholt http://claus.espeholt.dk His father was in the resistance in Denmark. He has info on carbines elsewhere in Europe.

On our web page devoted to Exports/Imports there is a link to a list of .30 caliber carbines provided to other nations.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/carbinesnara.html

Between 1951-1963 The Netherlands received 84,523 .30 cal carbines as military assistance.

I may have some photos of the Dutch in Korea and Indonesia with .30 caliber carbines. Also have photos of several Dutch service/maintenance tags found on carbines imported into the USA in the 90's.

Then there was the Dutch firm Nederlandsche Wapen-en Munitiefabriek NV., DE KRUITHOORN s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands (NWM). I have photos and examples of a number of .30 caliber carbine accessories and ammunition they made for the West Germans.

Hopefully time will permit a search tonight.

Jim
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 11:16am
@Jim: very nice that you have a lot of info regarding the carbines in Dutch service incl. some photographs. I'm looking forward to the information you can still find incl. the photographs. I am also going to contact Klaus.
Please take your time with it, it will take a lot of time before I can actually apply for this special permit.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 1:45pm
I apologize for taking so long to add info. Too many things pulling on my attention. I hope to start adding things the next coup0le days.

First up: Bayonets for the U.S. .30 Caliber Carbines.

source: http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/m4_thru_m7_series/m4_m7_series_p1.html

"The Netherlands M4 bayonet is patterned after its U.S. cousin, but is a distinctly different design. The most obvious difference are the red phenolic grip scales, patterned after the U.S. leather grip. The crosspiece is much heavier, requiring a stepped muzzle ring, due to the extra thickness. The pommel is secured with solid pins, where the U.S. bayonet uses rolled pins. Examples are found with grip scales secured by rivets or (like this example) with screw bolts."

"These were made by the German firm, E. & F. Hörster, in 1951–52."

"This example has the Hörster commercial trademark on the crosspiece, although not all are so marked. The scabbard is patterned after the U.S. M8A1. However, the metal is blued and the plastic body has a woodgrain pattern."

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 2:01pm
Buttplates

Large quantities found with GI buttplates sold as surplus by The Netherlands in the early 1990's. Also occasionally found in the USA prior.

This one was purchased on Ebay from a Seller in The Netherlands ....http://stores.ebay.com/collecter12345

He advised they were part of a large lot of surplus military equipment purchased from the government of The Netherlands that included many surplus GI parts provided to The Netherlands as support with their carbines provided by the U.S. Military Assistance Program. He claimed he was selling them for the person/company who had purchased the entire lot.

This is not a U.S. manufactured buttplate. I have yet to determine which company manufactured it. It's my assumption it was contracted for manufacture by The Netherlands as they haven't turned up anywhere else. Those found here in the USA came from The Netherlands, purchased for import here.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 2:06pm
U.S. carbine parts currently for sale on EBay by a seller in The Netherlands

http://stores.ebay.com/Westland-Military-Antiques

(To view a larger version click on the image)

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 5:37pm
Don't forget the Resistance Fighters,
I can't find my notes if these were Dutch or Danish..
I believe Danish, But could be wrong.

Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 5:55pm
Picture pulled from The Nederlands Fotomuseum.
Weapon Stash...

Charlie-Painter777

Dutch resistance member hiding rocket launchers in a baby carriage for transport, Amsterdam 1945
Picture also from Nederlands Fotomuseum.

Baby stroller (Bram? or Pram?) used to hide weapons.. etc.

Again from the Dutch Resistance Museum..

patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 6:35pm
Many thanks to you all for giving me this important information.
These are the things I am looking for, so if any of you have more information on this subject, please let me know.

Also info on how those .30m1 were smuggled into Holland under German occupation are very much appreciated.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 7:22pm
Charlie, I think the guy with the odd looking helmet was Danish.

Claus Espholt identified the building in the background as Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen, home of the Danish Royal family. The helmet and uniform on the soldier in the foreground was worn by the Danish Civil Defense. During the war Denmark was allowed to retain it's palace guard, but not their Civil Defense forces. Claus indicated this was probably a member of the Danish resistance. The soldier in the background is an unknown.

I have more photos and info coming. Just need the time to format the pics and upload them to the server.

Regarding where the resistance in The Netherlands obtained their U.S. carbines, I'm not sure the source was the same for all the carbines but the OSS did air drops to the resistance groups as did the British SOE. I'll try to post a couple articles I did for the Carbine Club newsletters. One on the SOE drops and another on the OSS drops.

Jim
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by patrickduis patrickduis wrote:

Also info on how those .30m1 were smuggled into Holland under German occupation are very much appreciated.

I would suspect since the coastlines were so heavily guarded. The same methods used to smuggle people out to Belgium and France were used to smuggle arms in.

The Dutch built a network designed to hide, protect, and eventually smuggle downed airmen out of Holland.

During Market-Garden, As Allied parachutes began blossoming, those previously unaware of the operation reacted by mobilizing their cells and recovering arms caches.

Read this CIA report about how the Dutch worked to organized their Resistance Groups. 

The Dutch Resistance and the OSS

gunsdora View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 9:34pm
Here is a pic  top pic of a M1 carbine that the Dutch converted for a Infrared scope.  I do have a lot of pics of this carbine on the conversion part. This gun is in I think Switzerland. Would have to check. The pics were sent to me as I have a M1 carbine with the same conversion cuts on the receiver & stock.  I only have the band for the pistol grip. If the pics of the conversion will help you I can put them up .
Neil

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 10:05pm
British Special Operations Executive
WWII

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 10:09pm
U.S. Office of Special Operations (OSS)
WWII
Operation Carpetbagger

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 10:16pm
Dutch Sling & Mag Pouch

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 10:28pm
Dutch .30 Carbine Ammo

The Dutch firm, Nederlandsche Wapen-en Munitiefabriek NV., DE KRUITHOORN s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands (NWM) manufactured .30 caliber carbine ammo in the 1950's and into the 1960's.

.30 Caliber Carbine (7.62x33) Round Nose Cartridges

.30 Caliber Carbine (7.62x33) Dummy Cartridges

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 10:45pm
Video Test

See the end to see barreled up arms being loaded on planes to be dropped to the Dutch Resistance Fighters.

I don't know how to embed the video.
Click on the link below...
Then scroll to the 3rd Video down, under Killing of Germans and NSB'ers- Armed Resistance...
If needed, At the bottom of the video screen- to the right of the volume control is a balloon you can click on for English Subtitles.

Hope this works.......
Charlie-Painter777 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 11:02pm
Dutch Blank Fire Adapter (BFA)

Manufactured by Nederlandsche Wapen-en Munitiefabriek NV., DE KRUITHOORN s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands (NWM) for the German Bundeswehr.

These are very common here in the USA. Where they were imported from West Germany and are being sold to the public. What's not shown is the case deflector that attaches to the carbine receiver to help direct the spent cartridges away from the breach.

I have a half dozen of these BFA's and their deflectors. They work, but don't make the mistake of loading the carbine with anything other than a blank cartridge. Blanks were made by GECO in West Germany (black plastic, red plastic), Bakelittfabrikken/Aurskog in Norway (red plastic, blue plastic, yellow plastic) and Südsteirischen Metallindustrie (South Steyr Metallurgy - black plastic) in Austria and likely others. DO NOT use a grenade launcher cartridge or it will become a BFA and front sight launcher cartridge.

Red plastic blank cartridges shown with this BFA were manufactured by Bakelittfabrikken AS. Manufactured training ammunition and blanks for the German Bundeswehr and others. Nammo Bakelittfabrikken AS is situated at Aurskog 50 kilometres northeast of Oslo in Norway. Founded in 1946, Bakelittfabrikken invented and was the first company to produce Plastic Blank Ammunition and Plastic Short Range Training Ammunition. Bakelittfabrikken AS became a part of the Nammo Group in 2005.

NATO Stock Number 1005-12-076-0002mfg by NWM March 1958. 12 was the country code for West Germany. The mark below this info is shown below. It's the West German Ministry of Defense acceptance mark (waffenamt) on items for the German Bundeswehr.

West German Ministry of Defense acceptance mark (waffenamt)

BMVldg = Bundesministerium der Verteidigung

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 11:16pm

Dutch Royal Air Force Service Tags

About 1995 a Carbine Club member visiting the Centerfire Systems retail store in Versailles, Kentucky, found these two tags lying on the floor in an area where customers could select carbines to purchase. Apparently left from carbines that had already been sold or relocated as the carbines for sale were returns from Austria by INTRAC in Knoxville, TN.

We don't know if the carbines from The Netherlands were imported by Centerfire Systems or another importer. Centerfire Systems did import firearms but more commonly sold firearms imported by various others from whom they bought them wholesale. As in the Case with INTRAC and Austria. INTRAC did not import any carbines other than the one shipment from Austria.

[/URL]

Centerfire Systems
Versailles, Ky.
https://www.centerfiresystems.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>