Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw S'G'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw S'G'
    Posted: Apr 06 2016 at 7:48pm
Here is a very nice unmolested Saginaw S'G' . Hope you enjoy the Pictures
http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/rcycles45/library/S%20PRIME%20G%20PRIME%201857778

gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2016 at 9:53pm
Nice Saginaw S'G' and I did enjoy the pic's, very clear. Thanks
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2016 at 1:03am
"She's a beauty Clark"
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2016 at 8:20am
You continue to set the bar HIGH ! Very nice example and I'm jealous, 1 question on the last picture I think of the inside of the channel, do I see some verbiage hard to make it out.

Thanks Chris
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2016 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Scott C. Scott C. wrote:

"She's a beauty Clark"

Gee thanks Eddy !
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2016 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Car Wash Chris Car Wash Chris wrote:

You continue to set the bar HIGH ! Very nice example and I'm jealous, 1 question on the last picture I think of the inside of the channel, do I see some verbiage hard to make it out.

Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris . Yes there is some verbiage , A few of my S'G' stocks have the same bold dark lettering but I cant really make out any words . From what ive heard and observed it seems to be an S'G' thing , I haven't had a really definitive answer of what the letters are there for maybe another m1 carbine mystery waiting to be solved !
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 10:12am
Blueish ink has been reported inside of sling wells (Inland?) which is believed to be a Julian calendar system. 
Any chance of some pictures at different angles to better decipher what is there?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 11:14am
Fantastic! Really enjoy original carbines with strong stamps.  Thanks for sharing.
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 11:18am
Inland's 831764 stock is stamped 228 3 and was made on the 228th day of 1943, which works out to be August 16th, 1943. I understand that this Inland date code stamp should precede the barrel date stamp, and it does. I picked this up at a show a couple of years ago and the features of this carbine almost exactly match the COM's in NL 108 and 339. If you haven't picked up the full set of Carbine Club Newsletters now's the time to do it. The information contained within is unmatched by any other "collecting hobby", in my opinion. The information provided in the Carbine's of the Month alone make owning these NL's a must have!

The rear sight is staked in place front and rear on the right side only with light chisel marks. The receiver has Saginaw's large 'SG' stamp approximately 3/16" high.
Dave
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 11:25am
I assume that stock has an IO stamp in the sling notch? 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 11:42am
Yes both the stock and handguard are stamped 'IO', but for some reason I didn't take a photo of the sling cut, oops. Here are some other pics though. Notice the 'F' stamped on the barrel in front of the front ring.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 11:44am
Dave
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2016 at 3:28pm
The IHC Garand has a Julian date in the channel. Like above said above a # 454 would indicate the stock was made on the 45th day on 1954 aprox. Febuary 14. If Inland used it, then it's fair to say others may have too.

Does anyone out there have a RSG S'G' stock with readable numbers in the channel ?
PingCMP View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingCMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2016 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Blueish ink has been reported inside of sling wells (Inland?) which is believed to be a calendar system. 
Any chance of some pictures at different angles to better decipher what is there?

If you're still interested in deciphering an S'G' ink stamp, here's one that's legible. I'd be interested in knowing what it translates to:

Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2016 at 5:32pm
Those That have Irwin Pedersen's, do their stocks have the same ink marking??
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2016 at 7:05pm
2731?
Guessing last digit 8 or 0

Anyone else?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2016 at 7:20pm
Looks like 27318 to me.
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2016 at 7:54pm
27318 , One thing that seems to be inherent with these markings is that they are impossible to read ..
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2016 at 8:15pm
They are hard to read. Interesting how 1 stock has 2 stamps and the others only 1.

273, end of September. If 3 is the year 43 for Inland, a year of 18 for the S' makes no sense. The font of that stamp looks familiar but I can't remember where I've seen it, especially the first number 2.

A small sample size but the few I cut S' stocks I've seen had no ink markings in the barrel channel.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2016 at 12:01am
The last number might be a 9    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>