Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw S' G'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw S' G'
    Posted: Jun 14 2018 at 6:42pm
Just playing with some toys today, on the Saginaw after doing more cleaning I noticed a W stamped on the left of receiver, pretty much centered, have not located any info on this stamp, for sure it looks like a normal Winchester W. Ser # on this Saginaw is 1859271, who can help or where should I start looking, do have quite a lot of reference and also the CCNL's.
Thanks & Cheers to all.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2018 at 9:04pm
CCNL COM 1852915 notes the same W mark. Mine has a Z in the same location. HTH.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2018 at 9:12pm
I believe all Saginaw Grand Rapids receivers have a letter on the left side, both of my S'G's do, one has a B the other has a Y. I have read somewhere on this forum that the letters may be inspectors or lot markings.   
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2018 at 10:36pm
Wayne, I also recall something like the letter stood for a Shift, Section, Bench/mill location or Inspector.
Much like the Ink number stampings found inside the RSG stocks Op slide channels. That numbered blue/green ink stamp.
Not to confuse the numbered ink stamp found on Overton Inland stocks thought to be a type of Julian dating mark.

To You Fathers...... Enjoy Your Holiday..... Head For A Gun Show !!

Cheers,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply