Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw or Grand Rapids?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 7:03pm
There's a marking on the rail near the bolt but can't make it out.

Wondering if there is a letter on the left side of the receiver rail. I updated the original picture I posted to show the location of the letter on mine.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 8:21pm
Bavarian Forestry Police marked. Any markings on bottom of trigger housing? any numbers in slingwell or other parts?

Good point on the letters used by Grand Rapids on side. Will verify if that is an inspector or lot marking during receiver manufacture or afterwards  if there is a letter there. Would still like to know if it is marked SG on forward left side of receiver.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 8:23pm
This discussion got my curiosity up so I've been tracking along looking at my 1,819,XXX S'G' trying to learn more about it.   Just wondering is there a significance of the letter on the left side and are you referring to the Z in the picture?  If so, mine has a P.   
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 8:33pm
Yes, the Z. It's from a 3.59, narrow tang, S Prime. Not sure if there is a significance to the letters.

1.83 < 3.59
P < Z

Dunno.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 8:55pm
I guess it's just one of those things.  Kind of like hieroglyphics on some of the barrels.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 9:18pm
Could be. Think there is some significance to the letters, just don't know for sure what it is. With two companies making them, parts on the move, harder to determine. With all S'G' and SG was doing back then, harder to determine. My guess it's some kind of tracking mechanism or inspectors stamp. Would need more examples of S'G' receivers to know for sure that there is some type of progression.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2017 at 8:26am
I couldn't find any markings on the left or front of the receiver, and no markings on the bottom of the trigger housing. Like most Bavarians, it does have numbers in the slingwell, but they don't match the serial number. This truly is a mix-master. It would be interesting, but, of course, impossible to know the history of each part. Thanks to this discussion, I'm now pretty confident that it was manufactured at lot further east than I originally thought. CMP listed it as "Field Grade" (ME of 2)...not really sure why. The stock is in excellent condition with GHD over UEF and small crossed cannon cartouche. Of my five WW II guns, it is the best shooter. I will be competing with it at my clubs semi-annual military shoot in a couple week. Thank you all for your input. It's fascinating to learn more about these working antiques that we all have a passion for.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2017 at 2:55pm
That "box" is actually the the result of the number die being hit to hard.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2017 at 3:32pm
FYI, general consensus is it's not unusual for some CMP rifles to look better than they're graded.  Mine have typically been at what I would consider the top of the grade.  Every now and then somebody gets a real winner, like the prize from a box of cracker-jack's.   
jiggly View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiggly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2017 at 8:01pm
I have a S'G' 1.85 with a "w" on the left side. I think it's some sort of production sequence code from what I was told.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 3:32pm
Had the same question about my Saginaw S'G' Grand Rapids from the CMP. Check this serial # out.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 4:05pm
Our numbers are close...mine slightly earlier than yours...3,637,XXX. I'm sure they share the same history...from the Saginaw plant apparently...not Grand Rapids as we believed.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 6:23pm
While we have the SG knowledge here, maybe one of you can tell me who made this 15 round magazine ?  It looks like a curved E -S'G'  The E could be a C with a - in it. I didn't see it in my listing. 

Thanks,
Bruce

Retired Army, 22 years.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 6:37pm
W5USMC, does yours have the "Ear" mentioned earlier in thread? notice narrow tang
Originally posted by BEBIII BEBIII wrote:

Our numbers are close...mine slightly earlier than yours...3,637,XXX. I'm sure they share the same history...from the Saginaw plant apparently...not Grand Rapids as we believed.

BUT... sent to Grand Rapids to be serialized. Might have been assembled there as well

Originally posted by wd4ngb wd4ngb wrote:

While we have the SG knowledge here, maybe one of you can tell me who made this 15 round magazine ?  It looks like a curved E -S'G'  The E could be a C with a - in it. I didn't see it in my listing.

look close, does it look like an upside down T?
J.L. Clark Mfg Co.

some call it JLC intertwined as a description.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 6:49pm
For the mag identifications have you looked here?
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 7:51pm
You guys are great, JLC made for S'G'

Thanks

Retired Army, 22 years.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 10:34am
New2brass, here is the left side picture of my receiver, has a B stamped about midway.

Edited by W5USMC - Apr 27 2022 at 10:59pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 11:17am
WSUSMC, look at the tang that holds the rear of trigger housing. Just above it is a hole. The material surrounding we call an ear. See how yours is squared off? On page one of this thread , first 2 picures show a rounded and square ear.

Look further down to BEB's post and notice no ear?

IP used those holes to locate parts in fixtures for machining. When saginaw took over Grand Rapids they continued with the locating holes.

Grand Rapids plant was the only plant to do this.

(Can someone link parts page that shows GR tooling holes)

So here we have two receivers close in range, one receiver made at Sag plant, one at GR. Both serialized at GR and i believe built there.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 11:28am
Is that a late "Quality Hardware" hammer I see?
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 12:28pm
Charles, Hammer is QU marked, trigger housing is Inland.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>