Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S Stamped Rear Flip sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S Stamped Rear Flip sight
    Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 4:16pm
In a few weeks I can finally pick up the QHMC Carbine. The oldtimer from who I bought the M1 give me a few weeks ago already the Original case, Sling, Mag pouch with mags and a rear flip sight.He told me that he changed the Flip sight for a stamped sight because he could not see right throug the flip sight. Now my question is this flip sight correct for the QHMC Carbine?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2020 at 11:56am
A flip sight would be "correct" for a QHMC Carbine, but would normally be marked GE-Q or B-Q on the right side of the base. The U on the leaf of yours indicates that it is an Underwood sight. According to "War Baby" Underwood did send 2000 rear sight assemblies to QHMC and CCNL 334-4 states that the U marked leaf sights were observed on original QHMC Carbines in the 1575584, 1576929 serial # range, so depending on your serial number it is possible that the pictured sight was originally on your QHMC Carbine.

"War Baby" also states that a stamped adjustable sight marked IR Co was also used by OHMC at the "tail end of production" but this information is questionable.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2020 at 4:04pm
Having trouble 'Seeing thru the flip' is why you see many with the notch cut on them.
My Father said it was common to see flip sights cut this way in the Philippines. Very hard to see thru in low light, jungle conditions.

Inland also received .U. flip sight bases, leafs and complete assemblies in I believe early March of 44.
Including flip sights from other makers like NPM. Mostly found in Inlands early 5,0 mil serial range.

Congrats,
Charlie-Painter777

PS: With muzzle pointed away. 
To Remove: Push rear sight off from left to right.
To Install: Push Sight from right to left. The S should be on the left side.
(Just in case you don't know) Thumbs Up 
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Superdort View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2020 at 2:44pm
Thanks guys for the info, In a few weeks I can pick up the QHMC Carbine( A lot of paperwork here in the Netherlands Pff) and then I can look for the serial number on the M1
 Post Reply Post Reply