Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

?’s about early Inland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ?’s about early Inland
    Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 10:15am
Hi guys

Can so get some thoughts on this early Inland? 

Anyone ever seen an upside down CC?

Greg

Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 10:21am
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 10:38am
I was refering to the crossed cannon on the right side of the stock. Anyone seen one upside down? Also any thoughts on the rest?

TIA
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 10:50am
I've seen them in about every clocked position there is, referring to the direction the flame lick is pointed. I've also seen some interesting one from Quality Hardware and Underwood too, but all of them had some odd strikes I am sure.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 10:52am
It's a very nice Carbine and you can expect it would bring a strong price.
Nice pics. The cartouche is very nice as well.I don't memorize the cannon features but sometimes I capture one or two pieces of them. The condition and stamps appear identical in condition to everything including the metal of the carbine.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 2:21pm
Hmm, any pictures of the barrel just ahead of the gas chamber?
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 2:51pm
Will get them this week to see if there is a ghost shadow
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 5:15pm
I would not be surprised if it was just a production mishap that was passed anyway, however that is just me taking an educated guess more than anything. That aside looks like a nice inland!
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 5:57pm
The stamp is the acceptance.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 6:59pm
It is a good looking rifle. I have one a bit later early 200k. For the most part looks similar as I remember it but 1) large serial font 2) safety has a more pronounced bevel 3) flaming bomb in the well has more flame detail.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 7:41pm
The Flaming Bomb in slingwell.
I've seen them like this one with just the outlined flame and have also seen them near this and down to 5 digit range with the same bomb.... but the flame shows the flame lick lines in it.

Are there any letters on the front of the tall leaf of the rear sight?
Would like to see a picture of the CC stamp in the upright position with that 436 sticker removed.
I'm not calling it not original, but it appears to have possibly been traced over, maybe better stated enhanced. By carefully digging grime out of the lines.

Stock sure has some beautiful grain and color.
Gotta flip that oiler over.

Question for all:
With serial# 179089.... Does 1-43 dated barrel sound about right?
Gotta ask no books near by.

Thx for sharing it with us Thumbs Up

Cheers,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 8:22pm
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 9:45pm
OK Dan...
I shouldn't have brought up the oiler.
Figures you'd find something like that TB ORD.
Seriously.... Who finds that ?? Ermm
God forbid bringing up the sure fire way to start a Forum Riot over the proper way to mount the sling !!

Is this one Original finish ?
Can be so hard looking at PC pictures..
I don't see the 2 tone finish appearance on the side of the receiver.
I can't tell if it's the early black oxide (bluing) or phosphate (parkerizing).
I believe the serial number is the small size, which I think is expected at this range.
SI front sight is pretty cool and looks to have never been R and R'd. I've never held a SI frt sight and only recall seeing a couple in pictures over the years.
About the best I can do without my Newscotlander 'How To ID a First Inland Block Carbine' CCNl.
I think I have that one in my house safe.
Still not sure about a 1-43 barrel for a 179,089, but gotta be close (?).
Also if Inland or BLC barrel ?
I've never taken the time to be able to tell the difference between the 2 via the barrel/date markings.

One thing for sure ..... It's a very nice carbine.

Charlie-P777
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Still not sure about a 1-43 barrel for a 179,089, but gotta be close (?).

Charlie, I think the barrel date is correct, From CCNL's COM Inland 147757- barrel date 1-43, COM Inland 200624 barrel date 1-43.
Only thing that stands out to me is the hammer spring, should be 22 coils.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 10:32pm
1-43 date fits in Inland's first block S/N range vs. barrel date as described in CCNL 268. An ealier issue from '76 also shows 1-43 as one of the possible barrel dates for the OP's S/N.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 10:58pm
@ Wayne... Yep 26 coil.... Hmmm.
@ M1A1... I was guessing up to about 12-42, Thx.
And weren't some 2 weld spot bands found on some of the early Inlands also?
Seems I recall a just a few being reported. No where near the number of 3 weld, but some 2 weld.
Or am I mistaken... ?

I'd do my own homework but my CCNl's, notes and books are stowed away while the hardwood floors are being refinished in 1/2 of the upstairs. 

CH-P777
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 11:17pm
what is everyone's thoughts on the ordnance wheel? 
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 11:37pm
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 11:44pm
The ordnance wheel is correct. Upside down doesn't bother me.
JackP
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 11:51pm
as a side note... this is a 97k Inland.. original rifle

Note the fairly small amount of “two toning”. of the receiver 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>