Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ruth: SG Stock marked OI/40A, Found OI/39A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortar-Forker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2021 at 11:15pm
I don't think they are GM date codes, but it was mentioned and GM methodology is good to consider.

I think batch codes are more likely as they seem somewhat sequential and batch codes would be helpful in tracking parts from multiple suppliers, especially if you want to track a small number of parts in a large run of rifles.

Maybe the plant was stamping them on the way in the door. I don't know and am speculating. It is an interesting question.
RWS-67 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWS-67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2021 at 7:57am
Found a loose S.G. stock....102 B  T3  RSG  Clap
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by RWS-67 RWS-67 wrote:

Found a loose S.G. stock....102 B  T3  RSG  Clap

Thanks.  Can you provide some more details of the letter sizes and locations?

Something like this
RSG  
G

-----------------
There's a low wood/cut down SG on ebay right now, but can't read the slingwell.
It has a vertical mortice in the barrel band location.  Looks hacked.  Probably fixable.
RWS-67 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWS-67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2021 at 3:02pm
The RSG is normal size above a larger 102 below.  The B is approx. the same size as the RSG letters... Hope this helps... Rich
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2021 at 10:42pm
A beat up RSG stock on ebay.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2021 at 8:31pm
Thanks.  Oval, Low wood, maybe cut down high wood? 
Stamped on left side 3668745 [seller believes was carbine serial number stamped by IDF]
RSG large upper right 
84 D in middle

wick57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wick57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2021 at 4:29pm
Late to the party here.  I have a SG stock ser # 3357xxx.  

I see IO and 4  6  A.  If you look closely, to me, I also almost see an R in a different font struck lightly before the IO.
Thoughts??
Wick

Edited by W5USMC - Dec 03 2021 at 4:55pm
Wick
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by wick57 wick57 wrote:

Late to the party here.  I have a SG stock ser # 3357xxx.  

I see IO and 4  6  A.  If you look closely, to me, I also almost see an R in a different font struck lightly before the IO.
Thoughts??
Wick

I can see what appears to be an R.  Not sure at all. 
If the stock was made by Robert Irwin, we'd expect the IO to be overstamped on an SG.
If it the stock was made by Overton for Inland, then transfered to Saginaw, why the R?

Comparing with the Overton for Inland stamp on the Stocks webpage, the O looks wider.
wick57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wick57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 10:35am
Interesting observation, Matt.  I went back just now and checked height and width of the "O" against another INLAND stock cartouche with calipers.  Both H and W were identical.  Difference in the photos might be a slight angle shift in camera perspective.
Wick
Wick
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2021 at 10:42am
It's pretty easy to determine the difference between Irwin made and Overton made stocks, just look a the nose profile or look for any markings in the barrel channel and slide well since they both used different ink stamps formats there (the slide well).
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2021 at 2:03pm
Wick57, Can you post a few more photos of the stock?  Esp the nose?
wick57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wick57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2021 at 7:41pm
Hi. Yes I will but it will be several days. I am out of town through the holidays. 
Wick
Wick
PingCMP View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PingCMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2021 at 12:44am
This is an M1 oval cut, highwood on S.G. 33414xx which I found in original configuration. I won't to attempt to divine what the marks are

wick57 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wick57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2021 at 3:58pm
Matt_X -
Here are the additional photos of the nose of the stock you requested.
Any thoughts welcome.
Wick
Wick
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 6:21am
IBM GB listing in RSG stock: https://gunbroker.com/item/933091320

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2022 at 4:45pm
Some other sideways X overstamps have shown up on CMP and milsurps recently.
Do we think that is a 101 A?  with an X over the first 1?
From the photos on gun broker I'm going to go with Low wood (Type III)  unless someone thinks its a cut down. 
RSG located high.
Original serial number unknown.

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2022 at 5:24pm
Charlie sent me some others he's dug up but has been to busy to post.  The Quality Hardware acceptance stamp on the last one adds another twist!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Either this is the same stock and carbine already on the list, or we have a second example. 
SG 3262XXX  TYPE II
RSG  [high in slingwell]
A  [sideways]  BOMB [sideways] 8 [at 45]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SG 5861XXX,
TYPE III stock
RSG [middle]
102   [1 has an oval  O overstamp]  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 [From EBAY STOCK only listing]
TYPE II Stock
RSG
[Bomb sideways]
7 [upside down] C [sideways]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unknown Carbine
UNKNOWN STOCK TYPE
 TRIMBLE [Top]
TN
48-D  [Upside down]
TSG 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QHMC unknown serial number.
[unknown stock type, possible late Type III]
O  [oval  or sideways] RSG [middle]

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LATE QHMC 4,7-4,8
Stock Type ? with QHMC CC
O [middle]
RSG  [bottom]

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2022 at 5:36pm
Loose Stock discussed on CMP forum http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=299068
Type II
[R] SG [barely visible, slingwell was refinished]
1 4 F

Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2022 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Some other sideways X overstamps have shown up on CMP

Found it. http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=2074842&postcount=437

Stock stamped with -U- post-war Underwood  rebuild ( Inland carbine)
Original carbine unknown
Type III or type II cut down.
RSG [high, partially sanded]
x [sideways] 9 4 B [low]

Connor38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connor38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2022 at 11:13am
5.855 S.G. With an RSG Stock. Sling well has 9 D as well as a faint RSG. The carbine is believed to be as issued. Has SG in the the box as well as the ordnance stamp on the right side. 

It’s very hard to tell, but with the right lighting it appears there may be an 8 or a 9 between the definitive 9 and D making it a possible 98 or 99 D 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>