The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rookie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recondo101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rookie
    Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 12:35pm
Hello,  this is a post to say, I am new to the site and to owning an M1 Carbine.  I will send pics in the near future.  I also got a lot of internal parts that I will need help identifying.  Is it wrong that I want to turn my M1 into a M1A1.  I was in the 101st Abn. Div. and I love the history of my brigade.  At least the make is correct for an airborne stock..............Thank You.  Chad 
Chad
Retired LEO
David Milisock View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 1:06pm
This is America build what you want. With that said I make an effort to make sure that I am not destroying a valuable collector rifle before I modify it. I am positive that those here can help you identify your parts and if needed find you parts to make a shooter. I have two M1 Carbines an Inland that is of very little collector value except for possible parts for people and a Quality Hardware that I bought years ago that was set up as an M1A1 when I bought it. Only Inland made m1A1's. Which is why I'm on the forum today I need advice on a front site, I need to file it down to calibrate the ramp sites and point of impact of my two carbines with the same load. I would rather remove the sight and see it go to a collector if needed to finish a rifle than ruin it. ENJY you carbine.
David Milisock
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 1:09pm
Chad, welcome to the forum, hope to see some pictures soon.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recondo101 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recondo101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 1:54pm
I will post pics soon along with all the parts I have.
Chad
Retired LEO
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 4:59pm
Welcome aboard Chad!

Semper Fi, Bruce
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 6:30pm
Welcome to the forum.  One question might be how "authentic" are you wanting your M1A1? If just for general appearance you can get an aftermarket folding stock and swap it between stocks.  Not to mention if you're wanting a shooter.  In any case, looking forward to your pics.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 7:11pm
Hi Chad and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

I know your pain. I just came across a folder really cheap and so I've found myself switching it back and forth on my late Inland wondering where to stop. Maybe I just need to get another Inland. I don't have the military history you have but the M1A1 is just so cool to have.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 7:11pm
Most carbines have been through a rebuild.
If you have a rebuilt M1a1 stock any USGI M1 carbine could be correct.

If you find a perfect USGI M1A1 stock with no rebuilds, then a correct Inland would be more fitting.

Careful on some of the aftermarket folders. Some have reported they may fold while shooting.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recondo101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 7:54pm
I do have one question.  Should all the parts have manufacture codes?
Chad
Retired LEO
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 9:13pm
Generally, yes. All parts were required to be marked with manufacture codes that identify both the prime manufacturer and their sub contractors. This allows the tracking of part problems to their source. As a general rule the first letter represents the subcontractor and the second letter identifies the prime manufacturer that part was made for. In cases whet the prime manufacturer made the part themselves it may be marked with only their code (e.g. Rock-Ola trigger). Obviously, some parts are too small to mark (e.g. ejector) and some were not necessary to mark (e.g. pins, screws and springs).
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recondo101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 11:41am
Here is my M1..... forgive my picture layout, I am still learning this stuff
Chad
Retired LEO
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recondo101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 11:46am
These might be better.
Chad
Retired LEO
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 1:58pm
looks good! If you put a space between each picture they will display horizontally down the page.
 Post Reply Post Reply