Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rock-ola 3-43 barrel, overstamped proof P

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock-ola 3-43 barrel, overstamped proof P
    Posted: Jan 02 2020 at 8:16pm
Hi all, recently purchased this Rock-ola 3-43 dated barrel for a project of mine. The barrel has what I would describe as an overstamped proof P. Although the one is only partially visible, it kind of looks like a Rock-ola proof over a QHMC proof? Suggest that, because the rounded part of the presumed Rock-ola P seems to extend a tiny bit over the presumed QHMC-like P. Also included a shot of the flat behind the gas cylinder, it has the flaming bomb up close to the cylinder, and the codes on the other end. I thought these indicate the barrel was built on a Rock-ola built carbine? Or were these also on the barrels distributed under free issue? Appreciate any thoughts / opinions, as I haven't seen one like this before!

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2020 at 9:05pm
This isn't useful info based on knowledge, because I don't have much for this issue, but I have two Rockola barrels from Glen close by. Both with only one P. But maybe the info helps on maker usage regarding the bombs on the flat. One dated 3-43 from a QHMC with Q proof P only and there is a flaming bomb tight to the gas piston area. The bomb is a little different appearing. The other barrel is undated, probably for Rockola that has no bomb on the flat. There's a bomb on the left side above the slide rail.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2020 at 7:57pm
Thanks @ten, your post got me thinking more about the barrel flat markings.
I checked 3 rifles I have with earlier RO barrels:
- early NPM w/1-43 has the "narrow flame tip", no codes toward thread end
- 170x RO, undated, has the "wide flame tip", codes toward thread end
- 171x RO, undated, has the "narrow flame tip", codes toward thread end

Barrel above, I consider the "wide flame tip".

Seeing as both QHMC and RO had proof P's around 6.5 from the muzzle, my resolution is that the bomb and codes on the flat are strictly related to barrel manufacturing, not manufacturing of the rifle. Multiple style flaming bomb stamps were used by RO/Ord. Since both RO and QHMC proofs are around the same location, the RO proof came first and the QHMC proof on top of it.
Thoughts / confirmation welcome.

Post Reply Post Reply