Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Stock Saginaw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Stock Saginaw
    Posted: Oct 02 2016 at 6:11pm
Looking for info. on a stock that I picked up awhile back. Only info. I've found was in Larson's book page 131. The stock is pretty much as described, unfinished dry wood, no cartouche, recoil plate marked S.G. Differences from the book are, sling is stamped SG with an O stamped bottom left in sling well. Low-wood and has a Std. Pro. s-s3 butt plate. All info. appreciated, Thanks
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2016 at 9:04pm
Gene, did you ever get an answer to this?

Is it marked RSG or is the stamp SG and at bottom of sling well?
If so I suspect if you look real close at top there may be more markings
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2016 at 10:42am
Hi Gene,

You seem to have a typo in your posting - you mention the sling is marked? I think you meant that the sling well (only) is marked.

Regardless, I found exactly what you have reported, decades ago at an Illinois gun show. I reported it in a Carbine Club newsletter. It was still in the Saginaw paper bag. I was surprised by the S-S3 buttplate, but the entire assembly was mint, unused, and still in the bag, so that buttplate was factory original to Saginaw.

The presence of the letter 0 (or other letter/number combinations) indicates that it's a Saginaw part, not a Grand Rapids part. Grand Rapids parts will only have an RSG in the sling well. We never learned the significance of the letter/number combinations on Saginaw stocks - must be some kind of inspection mark.

All the manufacturers were required to provide spare parts to the Ordnance Department, and your stock is one of them.

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2017 at 4:57pm
Dan and Marty   Thanks for the respond Here are afew pic's of the stock Marty your description was right on Thanks, Gene

https://goo.gl/photos/wbhM2ECk82vjyteFA
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2017 at 5:05pm
This photo thing I still don't get I send the link to my email account copy the link there it works but copy it from there or google and paste it here it doesn't work??????????????
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2017 at 5:53pm
Works for me, looks like it was fixed. When I post links, I have to hit the link button, then paste the address in a box, hit ok and then another box is presented. It has http:// in it, which I remove and paste the address again. Then hit ok and a link is created. How the interface works, depends on the device used, I think.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2017 at 6:01pm
Thanks Gene....any pics of the sling cut markings? BTW, you may notice that RSG stocks have a distinctive "chin," as compared to other manufacturers. What I call "the chin" is the forward-bottom of the stock, just "behind" the barrel band area...In other words, where the bottom of the stock curves upward toward the barrel band area. Take a look and compare it to a stock of another manufacturer.

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2017 at 6:06pm
OK I forgot the insert image box.   Getting old and when I don't post images often I forget. Thanks M1a1
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2017 at 7:07pm
I missed posting the sling well pic I have three RSG stocks and they are different, Closest is a IO low-wood stock with what I believe a fake Winchester cartouche.

https://goo.gl/photos/wbhM2ECk82vjyteFA
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2017 at 9:05pm
The one with the assumed fake Win CC, any rebuild marks. Maybe SA?
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2017 at 10:45pm
Dan   No rebuild marks but has a 1"x2" repair just above cartouche
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2017 at 6:54pm
Thanks Gene....I'm surprised that the sling well shows only SG...I think mine was the common RSG mark. The sideway 0 in the sling well cut shows that it's a Saginaw item, not a Grand Rapids part. Say, by coincidence, I was going thru an old box of papers today and found the paper bag that my spare SG stock came in! Do you want it?
If so, send me your snail mail address.

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2017 at 8:47pm
I believe it to be an uneven RSG strike with more emphasis to the "G" the S is faded on left side. Might be a ghost of the loop on the R in picture.
Stock is dry so 70 years of moisture in air could lift the grain a bit.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2017 at 10:53pm
    I do not have a S.G. Saginaw stock with the stamps on the right side to compare sling well stampings. I have two S'G' stocks and their RSG stamps are smaller in size compared to the replacement socks RSG. So are the S.G.'s RSG stamps larger??? The 3rd RSG stamped stock has the same size stamp as the replacement, which I'm thinking must be a replacement also. below the RSG is stamped 84C.

Dan I think your right about the ghost R   But you sure have to us alittle imagination, but the grain is defiantly pushed down on the right side of the R??. Thanks

Marty   I would like the bag. If you have a Larson book, how does read compare to the one on page 131. Just curious. I'll send you a PM with my home address. Thanks    

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2017 at 11:34pm
I believe there was a large RSG and small RSG font. They were seen at both factories. Saginaw plant evidently added extra markings in slingwell. I would guess them to be inspector marks.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2017 at 12:01am
Hi again Gene,

I don't have the Larson book, so I can't compare nuttin'.

And I'm not sure about the size of the RSGs on Saginaw stocks. I agree that the RSG on S'G' stocks tends to be uniform and small, and some Saginaw stocks I've seen have had larger letters.....but I haven't seen enough original Saginaw stocks, nor have I paid that close of attention to them, to make any generalizations. We need guys to submit photos to the forum.

It does seem odd that Robert Irwin Co. was making stocks for both contracts (S'G' and SG), and marking them both RSG. Why should there be any difference in the size of the letters, between the contracts? Unless the stamps wore out and were replaced with larger fonts? That's another mystery for us.

And one would think that replacement stocks would be marked with the same RSG. Each carbine manufacturer had to supply spare parts with every shipment of carbines, so it doesn't make sense that spare parts would be marked (for identification) any different than those assembled on the carbine itself.

The only "foolproof?" way I know to differentiate a Saginaw stock from a Grand Rapids stock (assuming the crossed-cannons cartouche is missing), are the letters/numbers that you find in the sling well. Those are Saginaw stocks. I've seen enough original SG and S'G' carbines over the decades, to put money on that statement. What were those marks? I dunno - we can assume they were inspector marks of some kind - like Inland's "hieroglyphics" on the barrel flat or the funny little shapes we sometimes see on bolt lugs or elsewhere on stocks.

We've seen a large capital A stamp in the oiler slot of original carbines of different manufacturers! Who WAS that guy?!   Had to be an Ordnance Inspector, right? Ordnance Inspectors would be the only "common denominator" among the manufacturers.

Lots to ponder! Think about how boring Garands are, in comparison!

Another odd thing - over the decades, the Carbine Club had far fewer reports of original SG carbines, than we had S'G' and IP. Why is that? Saginaw made a lot of carbines, but either they suffered a higher attrition rate in wartime use, or collectors had less interest in them, compared to the more exotic S'G' and IP carbines. JB Powers called that "selective reporting."   

Admittedly, Saginaw carbines can be a bit boring, I suppose. There are no interesting variations among them, they are all basically the same shade of gray-green. You've seen one, you've seen them all? From the beginning of carbine collecting, everyone was always on the hunt for IPs and S'G's (especially those with IP parts!). The fairly-rare 5.8 million range Saginaws never attracted much collector attention either.

Regards, Marty Black

Marty Black
 Post Reply Post Reply