The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Repacked Ammunition Crate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repacked Ammunition Crate
    Posted: May 26 2023 at 12:56pm
A while back I picked up a ammunition crate for .30 carbine ammo. My plan was to somehow incorporate it into a display. Somewhere on these forums I posted a members ammo crate that the top straps were converted with barrel stubs to display bayonets or muzzle devices.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Forum/uploads/5600/AmmoCrate_1.jpg

What I found interesting is that the crate shows it is Western Cartridge Company ammo and its lot number, but was repacked by the  Evansville Chrysler plant in September 1944.
The side of the crate below

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Forum/uploads/5600/AmmoCrate_2.jpg

The fact that it is marked for Institution Armory Only had me puzzled. I wondered if this was the ammo from before a chamber change that I discussed in other threads? Mid 43 the chamber was changed and ammunition made previously may have extraction issues in later made carbines. The new style ammunition worked in both chambers. The early ammunition was to be held back and not for use on the battlefield.

Recently while sorting the LR collection I notices something  on a spam can. Same month repack, lot number only 70 away, but how many thousands were there in a lot?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Forum/uploads/5600/AmmoCan_1.jpg

Looking into it I stumbled onto a book "Bullets by the Billion" by Wesley W. Stout.
The book talks about its ammunition production as well as refurb of tank, building of trucks, all for the war effort.
It seems that originally "ammunition was in containers of double dipped, heavy, waxed paper enclosed in heavy wooden boxes. Ample protection in the past and in fighting in Africa and Italy, the pack failed to stand up in the South Pacific and by midsummer of 1943 General MacArthur was asking  for a better one."
Ordnance gave Evansville the task of engineering project to develop better packaging. They based their design off corned  beef can made by the American Can Co. which had a turn key to open.

Presumably this is why the repack happened at Evansville as they had thee machinery to pack the cans.
From May 31, 1944 through October 1944 they processed repacking of ammunition from all manufacturers.

The T1CAJ = 1,600 cartridges of .30 Carbine Ball M1, Grade R, in 50-round cartons packed in M6 ammo cans. Each M6 ammo can contained 16 cartons (800 rounds). There were 2 × M6 ammo cans per M7 ammo crate.

As best as I can figure they were repacking another experimental sealing T1CAD which was  3,000 cartridges of .30 Carbine Ball M1, Grade R, in 50-round cartons, 30 cartons per T3 waxed cardboard box (1500 rounds), 2 × T3 waxed cardboard boxes per T4 wooden crate (3,000 rounds total). This experimental packing method was used to ship ammunition overseas, but without the metal tinplate liner to make it easier and faster to open in combat. But it was found to be ineffective.

So what year manufacture is in these cans?
the lowest WCC lot I can find is 6023 to a high of 6928. So lots on the items above are 6225 and 6295, putting it in the earlier lot numbers.

Does anyone have WCC ammo in the lot range above and can provide a head stamp date?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 2:30pm
Dan, not in your lot range but found some above and below, both with WCC 43 headstamps.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2023 at 8:25pm
From the two links above:
Lot
WCC 6142  contains WCC 43
WCC 6346 contains WCC 43

Add to the record,
 W.C.C. 6427 contains WCC 44

and repacks with unknown headstamps
 W.C.C. 6425 Repacked E.C. 5-44
 W.C.C. 6110 Repacked E.C. 8-44

This looked like it would be helpful but clearly doesn't apply these WCC lots

Lot
WCC 6477  contains WCC 44  ref https://ammogarand.com/30-m1-carbine-ammo-winchester-wcc-44.html
WCC 6772 contains WCC 52

Edited by Matt_X - May 26 2023 at 8:49pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 7:38am
Thanks guys, guess that confirms the chest and spam can are both 1943.

I still wonder the case profile.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 10:29am
Could be way off here but since the crate side markings are FIREARMS FOR DELIVERY TO INSTITUTION ARMORY ONLY, I think it is possible that the marking has nothing to do with the ammo and was just left there from a re-purposed piece of scrap wood cut from a crate that originally had guns in it.  
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply