The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reloading help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 9:07pm
The bayou bullets are a bit longer and need to be seated deeper.  I had a difficult time with it at first.  But they are pretty decent out to 100 yrds.  
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 10:31pm
I checked my Bayou Bullets handloads and found I seated them to 1.675", and up until today I had fired them in a Universal, and Iver Johnson and an I.B.M. It fed/functioned fine in all of them. Thus seated and loaded over 12.5 gr. of AL2400 they ran 1850-ish fps and with 13.0 gr. 1925 fps. 

I picked up another I.B.M. at a local gun show a couple of weeks ago and tried the same load and the bolt wouldn't close without a smart bump of the charging handle on the wooden bench top. The bullet was jamming in the rifling-

Nevertheless, the load shot fairly well-

So next I sized and charged some cases, dropping back to 12.7 gr., and began seating the bullets deeper until they would chamber in "new" the I.B.M. This happened at 1.635". This load averaged 2005 fps in the "new" I.B.M., about 100 fps more than I wanted, so I'll back off another .5 gr. and see how much velocity drops. (FWIW the same load averaged about 50 fps less in my other I.B.M.)

I fired a few of this load at 100 yds. but the wind had switched directions and was rather gusty left to right, blowing the bullets to the right edge of the 12" steel. Accuracy appeared unchanged.

Hope this helps.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2022 at 11:43pm
35, I love your post and love when you chime in. I just wished you used the same powders as me (110 or 296, or 4227) so I could jus copy your loads!! Is the consensus that I can reduce OAL to 1.65 before needing to back off my powder charge any?
Aggie94 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 7:31pm
Beezer I think you are right these Bayou bullets are longer. Whelen thanks for the additional input, it helps! And nice looking IBM you got there! Remeasured some of the rounds I had problems chambering, they weren't close to 1.68". I don't usually crimp but ran across something that mentioned it, took those rounds and put a taper crimp on them and they chambered fine. Now need to start working on accuracy, my NPM doesn't like LRN or so far these coated Bayou bullets, looks like a shotgun pattern instead of a group.
Aggie94 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 7:45pm
Rebel it all seems trial and error, it wouldn't hurt to reduce loads some if shortening length. And I agree I wish I could just copy Whelen's load but I use AA#9. Picked up some H110 awhile back may need to try
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 8:38pm
How much AA9 do you use? I have some in the powder magazine that I'm trying on .300 BO and would like to see how it performs on my carbines.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Aggie94 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 8:51pm
Smokepole I haven't had any fmj in years, the 115gr lrn I have loaded with 11.5gr AA#9 using old load data. The latest load data from Accurate tops out at 11.2 so next time I load them will go lower. I did load up some 100gr Hornady short jacket using 13.6gr AA#9 that my carbine really likes, Speer loading data goes out to 14.3 grains for 100gr bullets but some data shows lower. I'm trying 11 gr AA#9 with these current Bayou Bullets.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 10:42pm
Thanks. I have a small bucket full of 115gr LRNs polycoated. I'll reduce it to 10.0 to start and work up from there.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Aggie94 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2022 at 2:13pm
Still experimenting with the Bayou Bullets, made a batch up using 10.5 gr AA#9 and loaded at 1.65 inches with no crimp. They chambered and shot fine in my NPM, just shot a little low compared to other loads. Will try next batch at 10.8 gr to try to get them in the black.
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2022 at 2:43pm
I ran through the box of bayou bullets I assembled with H110 and I have to say, I was impressed with the accuracy of them.  They performed well out of the Ruger blackhawk as well as several Underwood’s and an NPM.  I was getting just over 2000 fps using the load data for H110 and 115grn projectile.  The accuracy was comparable to most fmj and soft nose I’ve bought.  I have not been able to find any AA#9 locally but I will keep an eye out for it and try that for comparison.  I was offered some Vihtavuori but could not locate any data for .30 carbine and 115grn so I passed
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2022 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Beezer Beezer wrote:

I ran through the box of bayou bullets I assembled with H110 and I have to say, I was impressed with the accuracy of them.  They performed well out of the Ruger blackhawk as well as several Underwood’s and an NPM.  I was getting just over 2000 fps using the load data for H110 and 115grn projectile.  The accuracy was comparable to most fmj and soft nose I’ve bought.  I have not been able to find any AA#9 locally but I will keep an eye out for it and try that for comparison.  I was offered some Vihtavuori but could not locate any data for .30 carbine and 115grn so I passed

Fortunately there are many good powders available for our beloved .30 Carbine. Alliant 2400 compares favorably with AA#9 if you can find it. Powder Valley has H110, Accurate 4100/Western Enforcer (one and the same), Hodgdon Longshot and Vihtavuori N110 in stock. I picked up a couple of pounds of the Vihtavuori 110 and really like it in my Carbines. I just wish it weren't so expensive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12