Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Receiver drilled for scope help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2017 at 4:28pm
While I've seen JB Weld used to smooth out the inside of go kart crankcases where the grinding went through I'm not sure I would use it in this application due to the heat and vibration of each shot and the bolt slamming back and forth.
  You can get  screws in nearly any size or head shape from McMaster-Carr or specific gun screws from Brownells.
  It appears that there are only a few threads in the holes so you might consider using allen set screws with high temperature and strength Loc-Tite. Loc-Tite comes in various strengths and temperature applications and some of that stuff once applied is almost impossible to remove without a torch and fairly high heat, something I would not recommend for you receiver.
  Again, if it were mine I would send the receiver, bolt and barrel if any to Bruce Dow for repair. He has specialized tools for this kind of work.
  Since the receiver in this area is relatively thin any screws used will probably stick through a bit and filing a grade 8 or 10 machine screw by hand is not something that can be done quickly if at all. A machine shop would probably use an end mill in the areas they could reach with the receiver firmly held in place so it wouldn't move during the operation.
  Lance
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2017 at 8:22am
Use set screws as suggested with hi temp Loctite.
Clean up burrs. Smooth ends of set screws so they are flat. Check for fit. If good, Loctite in place.
Cut ends off with Dremil tool.  Carefully grind/buff cuts and try to match finish.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2017 at 3:42pm
A deburring tool is required here. Google deburring tool and you will get lots of options. One may also take a larger sized drill bit and deburr it.

This is an example of one from Home Depot and should clean it up well!

for the covering up of the holes, lay duct tape on the inside of the bolt track and fill with a steel putty epoxy. be sure to apply pressure from inside the receiver to keep from forming a bulge or high spot. Roll the putty up in a rod and just smush it in there with enough pressure to fill the threads and gaps. You may even take a small rounded object and push from the inside to form a depression so as not to catch the bolt.
Michael
Retired Army 1987-2008
4th ID Mech, 11th ACR, 25th ID light, 82nd Abn, 101st Abn/AAsslt, 160th SOAR
Helicopter Dr.
VCDL member
NRA Life Member
Weapons & History Enthusiast

manteo97 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manteo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2017 at 3:46pm
If these are the correct tapped threads for a Weaver #48409 scope mount, they should be 8-40. Not going to be easy to find any set screws with that thread size.

I drilled & tapped a WRA M1 carbine for one of these mounts, and mounted an older 4 x 32 Bushnell scope on it with a 20" SS barrel that I made. Lots of fun to shoot, as my progressive bi-focals have made it very difficult to shoot accurately with the carbine's iron sights at 100 yds.

Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2017 at 2:02am
Look up Brownells web site, hunt around in the gunsmith supplies for plug screws. There you will find 8-40 screws of at least two different types for plugging holes in barrels and receivers. You won't need the whole kit which is about $160 but a bag of the correct screws is about $20.
  Most gunsmiths have the whole kit of assorted size screws and tweezers to pick them up with and some sort of fixture to grind the screw down to fit.
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2017 at 6:32am
Ok all great information guys, thanks for the information. I won’t be able to start this until after the new year but I will post something when I do.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2017 at 8:18am
Is this a commercial receiver or GI? Maybe I would not invest "too much" in a commercial receiver just to make it look pretty. I think those holes can be cleaned-up and the gun will shoot as-is. GI receiver....yes...I think it would be worth some restoration.
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2017 at 12:36pm
Real nice 6 digit Inland receiver with clean dovetails.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12