The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear flip sight. Someone said this wasn't USGI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 11:55pm
That pic below is a bad example of what I was picturing you saying. Totally agree on the older machine opinion. And it's always been my opinion that one day we won't be able to tell, when they get the pattern right.
Dean or Norwich phrased rainbow milling to me.

I'm not winning this one am I?

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 12:03am
Redfield seemed to have a better finished leaf than what's on a Square S. Was the Lyman the maker of the serif S base?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 1:10pm
Pictures added to Logman's post on page 2
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

AFAIK the only (uncoded) serif S base was used by Inland early on. 

WTMR may remember this sight on my WRA 1,030,621.

FWIW,
Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 6:35pm
If it were loose,I'd have bought that sight on the Quality several times over before this thread and felt proud of the buy I made.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 6:44pm
@ Logman, Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Thank you for your inquiry. Thanks to you and the others that have contributed I have four more excellent examples of flip sights to add to my photo library.
JackP
Dnikkor View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnikkor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 1:44pm
The more I think I know about carbines, the more I realize I have lots to learn.

Thanks for the free education.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2019 at 7:41am
Look familiar?

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2019 at 8:22am

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2019 at 8:38pm
You can see the milling on the side where it was later worked down for better finish, not that unlike Logan's pics. Additionally, Logan's sight was mentioned as being not straight, but that's just one side. The other side is flat/straight. The bowed side is from installing on a tight dovetail.
I wonder what the bottom looks like on your sight, Charlie?

Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

AFAIK the only (uncoded) serif S base was used by Inland early on. 

WTMR may remember this sight on my WRA 1,030,621.

FWIW,
Charlie-Painter777

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 4:51pm
Years ago I would knock it out and take the flip apart......... But Welby/WTMR threatened to cut my fingers off.
I'd 'Presume' mine would have that Smooth Small Circular Mottled Orange peel looking milling on the bottom, like most SQ S sight bases I've seen have. But I've also seen them with just fine milling marks. Though none like the heavy milling marks seen pictured here on the bottom of this round S base that has .U. stamped inside it.

IDK, it may be something as simple as how new and sharp or worn the milling bit happens to be at the time or the style of the person working/making it.
It was all about removing metal to get to specs.

Speaking of INSIDE MILLING, The Inland base below was taken apart to replace a limp
 nearly rusted in half spring.
Looks as though the Milling runs side to side when compared to the .U. base above.
Different methods ?

As far as a side or corner of a base being bent in, it could be a simple matter of tapping the wrong area looking for a Windage correction. It doesn't take much force to do so. I had one bent in that wouldn't allow the flip to fold over. Ended up threading a nut on a hex head bolt that would just fit inside. With the base in a padded vice (to keep the other side from pushing outward) I backed the nut out until it had the side squared away. Nervous while doing so ?.....  YES.
I stashed that little nut/bolt combo away in a parts tray.

Cheers FWIW,
Charlie-Painter777
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 6:06pm
Charlie. Those sideways marks I believe are chatter.

No way of that I know could machine side to side like that and leave a flat side wall.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 6:23pm
Chatter
Sounds good Dan,
Like a rolling cutter wheel
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 6:27pm
Yes. They made staggering cutters much like a table saw blade to reduce chatter. The cutter that did that has only perpendicular teeth
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2019 at 6:35pm
Yeah, his sight was not made with a bent bottom. It was forced into the shape on install. This camera is poor for close ups but this is the bottom of Logan's sight. Notice any resemblance?

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 10:40am
The heavily bent side is the non-S marked, the right side which leads a person to understand it was probably installed the wrong way the first time it was installed.

Also, watch the rear crater for location. Here's Logan's receiver with the serif S slipped on by hand to stop, then two well used Square S flips installed. And look at the big bur on the rear edge. It's no wonder the sight is bent.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 7:41pm
Dovetail looks filed open. Taper larger on left.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2019 at 8:12pm
Oo, good eye. You know what, that dragged off Parkerizing on the left side might indicate direction of install (or removal) at one time, huh?
With the Harbor Freight calipers measuring inside the craters on each side the dove tail is exactly the same width. So there is no taper at all, which could also explain the bent sight?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 9:54pm
After going over this sight for a few days, acquiring a better camera for comparison of minute traits with other flip sights (side by side), measuring all aspects of the sight against known obvious USGI sights and comparing milling, there is nothing about the machining and sizing that says it's not a USGI sight. Because it is USGI. All these steps were interesting because I've never had to do this to determine one in the past. It was interesting but needless.
If anyone has anymore of these sights for sale please contact me because I'll be happy to buy it from you.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 1:46pm
Have you ever compared Flip sights by weighing them ?

Ch-P777
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>