The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Day
    Posted: Dec 03 2021 at 7:02pm
Ok, made the range today, to finish zeroing a couple carbines

1st up

My new Fulton Armory Carbine. I'd tried zeroing on an indoor range last week with some issues due to ear muff style hearing protection. Today I was able to use my normal outdoor range.

1st 25 rounds 50 yards benched.

1st 15 rounds about in the center but low. I figure it's me aiming low. I then as an experiment set the windage to "neutral" and start hitting to the right, but not as much as last weekend given I know I'm using a smaller target.

Next 25 rounds

"Of course" when I start from scratch I dial right instead of left so I start walking it left on the windage. Last 5 rounds I'm good but still shooting low. I figure with the new front sight I need to aim a tad high on this Carbine.

Last 50 rounds

Decent but some are a tad to the right 1st 20 rounds. IMO the trigger is very stiff so I decide "good enough" I run the lasr 30 rounds 15 at a time to test feed. No issues and I notice this week my noggin only gets smacked twice by a round the ejecting. I figure the trigger will break in so time to shoot another Carbine

My National Postal Meter. I bought this in the spring and had Fulton run a tech check on it for "its and giggles". No major problems so time to zero it.

1st 20 rounds. Sight is 2 clicks right so I start dialing left.

2nd 25 rounds. Looks good but I'm shooting high. These 2 targets are actually from 3 weeks ago when the temperature was in the 30's and with the wind chill off a lake in the teens. I gave up that day, this Carbine could have seen the Battle of the Bulge, but I wasn't wanting to reenact it LOL

Todays attempt

100 rounds 50 yards benched. My 1st 20 rounds are dead on so I figure my day at Frozen Chosen I zeroed it, time for some shooting. The next 80 rounds no issues, running 10 and 15 rounds at a time. I did have a issue with it not wanting to feed the last round loading 5 on my 1st 20 round zero check using the same mag I'd just had used in the FA no issues. I swapped mags and told myself if I ever find 1 mag that works in all 7 of my Carbines I'll bronze the sucker Big smile
JohnnyDollar View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 6:59am
Overall nice shooting and really nice groups.

Although, you may be having more fun than is legally allowed. LOL
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 8:45am
Originally posted by JohnnyDollar JohnnyDollar wrote:

Overall nice shooting and really nice groups.

Although, you may be having more fun than is legally allowed. LOL

Thanks. I'm thinking of going back to the range today (it's a 45 minute drive) and taking both my Fulton Armory Carbines up for a "duel". I haven't fired the 1st one since the spring so it's way overdue, damn ammo crunch scaled back my shooting big time.

I figure I have 350 rounds left in "shooting" stash, I take 200 rounds that leaves 1 more decent range day 1 Carbine this year. After the holidays I already know I'll be working overtime 6 days a week for at least 5-6 weeks plus the weather will be crappy......might as well Big smile  
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 9:13am
Ammo for the carbine seems especially hard to get and not cheap.
I should have stocked up more when the surplus was available. 

Do you reload for your carbines or strictly commercial ammo ? 

I'm curious what you are shooting. 

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 9:57am

Ammo for the carbine seems especially hard to get and not cheap.
I should have stocked up more when the surplus was available. 

Do you reload for your carbines or strictly commercial ammo ? 

I'm curious what you are shooting. 

Commercial, I don't have the room my 2 bedroom house for a reloading setup with another hobby I have.

I was stocking up before the current panic hit, and when it did I was still able to buy the Korean surplus to shoot that at a decent price through the election 2020. When the price jumped on that I had 2k of it on hand, I used it through spring and summer 2021. This fall I decided to cut 1000 rounds out of my "zombie stash" of 3500 rounds to keep shooting Carbines through the end of 2021.

I figured I could restock after the holidays with the OT money.

I decided not to hit the range today, it's on the chilly side and I really should finish racking the leaf's Big smile 

I also think down the road the new Fulton will get set like this

That's another Carbine with the Ultimak rail system on it. I was wanting to rig one of the Fulton's like this when I got the 2nd but it took FA 9 months to build this one (parts shortages) and I got "antsy" waiting Big smile 

I figure let everything sit till spring, swap the rails over and either remount the optic with a different mount to get a better cheek weld on the stock (it's a quick release mount that sits higher than I really like) or get some kind of holo sight for the new rig.

I had the Ultimak rail on this carbine 2020 and it became my main "plinking" Carbine that year with a different red dot

With a better-quality optic (the current one is a Sig/Holsun, the 1st a Vortex Sparc Mk I) this would make a excellent HD rig. I even have a folding stock rig I could use for it.

That rig was very handy IMO, I had planned on using it as a "truck gun" over an AR fall 2020 had Trump won the election and rioting became a issue
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 12:42pm
I just started reloding for my carbine this year, now that I have time to go out and shoot it. 

I purchased the dies and components years ago (in case of TEOTWAWKI), 
but I also had stocked up on Winchester Q3132 when Sports Authority was getting out of the gun business and put it on clearance. I paid like $9/box (50rds)

I just got an ultimak rail for my carbine, 
my wife bought it for me for Christmas, but gave it to me early. 
Mounted a Sig Sauer Romeo 5. 

I now call it the M1 Carbine in the 21st & 1/5th century. 

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 3:38pm

I just started reloding for my carbine this year, now that I have time to go out and shoot it. 

I purchased the dies and components years ago (in case of TEOTWAWKI), 
but I also had stocked up on Winchester Q3132 when Sports Authority was getting out of the gun business and put it on clearance. I paid like $9/box (50rds)

I just got an ultimak rail for my carbine, 
my wife bought it for me for Christmas, but gave it to me early. 
Mounted a Sig Sauer Romeo 5. 

I now call it the M1 Carbine in the 21st & 1/5th century. 

Nice setup. Your mount is lower from the looks of it, I'm guessing not a quick release.

Weather report is looking good next weekend, I might try the dueling FA's then. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

[QUOTE=JohnnyDollar]
Nice setup. Your mount is lower from the looks of it, I'm guessing not a quick release.

Thanks,
No quick release and I mounted it without the riser because I wanted it low. 
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 5:37pm

[QUOTE=JohnnyDollar]

Thanks,

It works better the way you have it compared to what I did. I'm thinking some kind of reflex sight would be nice and light, something like this

It looks like it handles well in the video

I'll wait until after the holidays to decide. Right now everything works as is, with cold weather coming I won't be shooting much anyway
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 5:58pm

[QUOTE=JohnnyDollar]

Thanks,

It works better the way you have it compared to what I did. I'm thinking some kind of reflex sight would be nice and light, something like this

I'll wait until after the holidays to decide. Right now everything works as is, with cold weather coming I won't be shooting much anyway
That does look pretty good.
I picked up a Sig Sauer Romeo zero during Black Friday for $99.00
Just mounted it on my Marlin Camp 9, but had to add a weaver adapter to it.
So it's a little tall. Have not had a chance to fire it yet. 

The Romeo5 and Romeo zero both have the motion activation like the Liberty & Justice, which is a nice feature.

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2021 at 10:09pm

[QUOTE=JohnnyDollar]

Thanks,

That does look pretty good.
I picked up a Sig Sauer Romeo zero during Black Friday for $99.00
Just mounted it on my Marlin Camp 9, but had to add a weaver adapter to it.
So it's a little tall. Have not had a chance to fire it yet. 

The Romeo5 and Romeo zero both have the motion activation like the Liberty & Justice, which is a nice feature.

Who had that for $99 bucks? I didn't see any Black Friday sales that rocked my boat, didn't spend a dime this year
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2021 at 6:48am

Who had that for $99 bucks? I didn't see any Black Friday sales that rocked my boat, didn't spend a dime this year
Academy Sports. We have one about 45min from the house, so I bought it online and picked up in the store. 

Black Friday and Cyber week have both been pretty sad this year. 
This was really the only Black Friday item that got me motivated to buy something. 

john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2021 at 8:00am
Can't speak to their other stores but the Bass Pro in Savannah (Ga) actually had more .30 Carbine ammo (Remington UMC 110fmj) on hand last week than they've had in the last 2 years. Looked like maybe 100 to 150 boxes on display and was told they had a "few" more cases in the back. Still high at $45.99 per box but between them and Palmetto State Armory who has had the PPU FMJ consistently for 6-8 months, there seems to be a ray of light for us non-reloaders who got into Carbines more recently and don't have a decent stockpile yet.

John
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by john843 john843 wrote:

Can't speak to their other stores but the Bass Pro in Savannah (Ga) actually had more .30 Carbine ammo (Remington UMC 110fmj) on hand last week than they've had in the last 2 years. Looked like maybe 100 to 150 boxes on display and was told they had a "few" more cases in the back. Still high at $45.99 per box but between them and Palmetto State Armory who has had the PPU FMJ consistently for 6-8 months, there seems to be a ray of light for us non-reloaders who got into Carbines more recently and don't have a decent stockpile yet.

John
The heyday of cheap .30 carbine ammo is definately gone, 
same with cheap 8mm Mauser. 

I saw that my LGS had several boxes of .30 carbine FMJ in stock the other day for around $40/box (50).
It's a start, but that's still .80cpr. OUCH!

Last time I  bought .30 Carbine was several years ago when Sports Authority was getting out of the gun business and they had Winchester Q3132 on clearance. 
$11.99/box - 20% ($9.60/box) 
I went to every store in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and ended up with about 1500 rnds. 

Surplus was already drying up at the time and I saw the handwriting on the wall. 
Those were good times. LOL
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2021 at 9:26am
I see 30 Carbine "dropping" to the mid $20 dollar range but that's the best I see. This is similar to what happened 2012 after the Newtown shooting. Prices jumped and supply became scarce then also and stay that way for 2 years.

Surplus we might see 1 more decent run the next couple years but that will be it. Also, with the influx of new Carbine owners the past 2 years from RTI and Midway will keep prices on the high side longer than the 2012 rush IMO until they get bored with their new Carbines and safe queen them.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2021 at 9:57am
Ammoseek shows .30 carbine in stock lots of places. 
Cheapest being Korean surplus @ .75cpr. Ouch
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2021 at 10:20am
The 1 thing I've learned over the years is Ammoseek doesn't list a few of the major online sites like AIM Surplus

Online sellers are also taking advantage of the Midway/RTI imports this summer. They figure there are at least 2000 new Carbine owners out there looking for ammo for their new rifles
 Post Reply Post Reply