The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Day
    Posted: Apr 03 2021 at 5:49pm

My Plainfield M-1 Carbine. I changed the stock from the Plainfield one to a GI type and changed the barrel band to a GI Type 2. I figured since I'd taken the front sight off to do the later I better check zero, I also changed the front sight key for a tighter one since the front sight had some wiggle on it.

100 rounds, 50 per target at 50 yards. The one on the left was the 1st target shooting bench resting, it did need tweaking as you can see.

Target on the right is free hand sitting down. Not bad for a old man Big smile

I did have 2 stovepipes on the 1st 2 ten round mag tests. 

That left a couple marks on receiver. 2nd time I've had this issue with this Carbine. I changed mags and had no issues after that.

I think it was the same mag both times. It's my "best" USGI shooter mag too, go figure. This thing loves KCI mags for some reason, I've marked up a couple dedicated just for it. 

All I shot today. I'm limiting myself to 100 rounds and 1 Carbine per range trip for the summer. I've 1600 rounds of the Korean left plus 4000 rounds Armscor and S&B for any "social" work I might need in the future. I HATE this ammo crunch 
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2021 at 6:25pm
Great day at the range! Good shooting and only two fte per 100 isn't too bad in my book. I could use a trip to the range.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2021 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

Great day at the range! Good shooting and only two fte per 100 isn't too bad in my book. I could use a trip to the range.

It's ok for that Carbine. If it had been one of my other ones I'd be worried more. I've been using 1 as my primary shooter Carbine the past year and it's been 100% reliable with good ammo

The 2nd from the right, the infamous "Howachester" as I call it (long story). I had it worked over by Fulton Armory this time last year and with good ammo (it hates Aqulia and so do I but it was in stock at the start of the panic) it's a sewing machine. 

The rest of the Carbines in that photo have seen service by FA, are a new FA or are at FA getting checked over. The Plainfield I don't plan on having them service, it's purely a range toy....not a potential working rifle if needed 
mikbul View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2021 at 9:36am
No wonder my FA M1 is late, they're backed up with all your M1's!!AngryLOL
Mike W
ranzuly View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranzuly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2021 at 11:50am
Is it just me or do others wonder if is a good ideal to post a inventory of our Carbines and ammo inventory information on the internet, but been meaning to ask this question for awhile  ? Not meant to be critical of this gentleman 0r anyone else.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by ranzuly ranzuly wrote:

Is it just me or do others wonder if is a good ideal to post a inventory of our Carbines and ammo inventory information on the internet, but been meaning to ask this question for awhile  ? Not meant to be critical of this gentleman 0r anyone else.

My 2 bits. Unless your worried about thieves then I don't see a reason to worry about it. I'm quite sure anyone who's bought a gun through NICS since it went online is on some kind of list with the feds.

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2021 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by mikbul mikbul wrote:

No wonder my FA M1 is late, they're backed up with all your M1's!!AngryLOL

How late is your M1? (rifle or Carbine?) I'm curious since I have another Carbine on order with them myself (ordered end of January) and just sent them the Postal Meter Carbine I bought a couple weeks ago for a check over.

I noticed that FA has stopped taking orders for new production Garand's and are "temporary out of stock" on all their Carbine models with a 6 month waiting time for current orders.

I figured their swamped on Carbine orders and Garand's they might have run out of the USGI Springfield production receivers and need to figure out a source for those. LMT makes their Carbine receivers on CNC machinery so hopefully they can set up for the same with Garand receivers    
APD642 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APD642 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2021 at 9:52am
Curious too.  I order mine toward the end of December.  Noticed that about the Garands as well.  CMP only has one of the version of the service grade Garands listed too.  Not even rack grade.  Remarkable times we are in today for sure.
LT
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by APD642 APD642 wrote:

Curious too.  I order mine toward the end of December.  Noticed that about the Garands as well.  CMP only has one of the version of the service grade Garands listed too.  Not even rack grade.  Remarkable times we are in today for sure.

I would say panic buying on certain types of firearms is at record levels and Fulton Armory is no exception. You have to figure since they use Lewis Machine Tool for Carbine receiver's, bolts and I want to say trigger groups when they run out of USGI surplus ones they have to deal with what LMT can supply them.

Garand's would be worse, since they use surplus USGI receiver's that supply is finite.

I figure FA will get mine done when they can, as long as they can stay open. That's another thing worrying gun owners IMO, Hiden/Ho shutting down mail order service outfits like FA given the chance  
 Post Reply Post Reply