The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Day, Plus Issue With KCI Mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Day, Plus Issue With KCI Mag
    Posted: Aug 20 2021 at 6:53pm
1st up, I had a issue with a new KCI mag I was testing today, one of the M1 style follower models

This happened after about 100 rounds through this today, on the 2nd Carbine I tested it on (I'll post these later on here)

As you can see the tabs for holding it in bent down. This happened on my "shooter" Inland on the 15 round mag test. I'd run it on my "Howachester" 50 rounds with no issues, starting at 5 rounds then working my way up to 15 rounds

Another angle. No clue why it did that, and I switched mags after this with no issues.

Ok, range time

1st up, my "Howachester". I swapped the stock a few weeks ago and had tried testing it last weekend on a sore shoulder. I ended up messing up the zero so today I rezero'd it.

1st 25 rounds at 25 yards bench resting. I figured start close and see how bad I screwed it up last week. This looked good so time for 50 yards

2nd 25 rounds, tad to the left and the last 10 I shot freehand sitting. I decided 1 click right is what I need.

50 rounds, 1st 25 bench resting. I figure good enough so I do the last 25 freehand sitting again.

Next up, my "shooter" Inland. This was a Blue Sky import I had Fulton Armory rebarrel and tune up 2019.

50 rounds testing that KCI mag I mentioned bench resting. Last 15 rounds you can see I'm "spooked" by the mag issues.

Last 50 rounds using one of my "normal" shooting mags. I'm running 10 round tests to make I'm not having feed issues. I'm shooting left a tad but figure its me, until I get home and clean the gun.

I find out then the front sight pin had fallen out, I found it on the ground at the range but thought it was off someone else's gun. Fulton had replaced the sights on this during the rebuild, the rear one was worn out and they did both to match.

Luckily I have spares here so I put a new one in and used lock tight. Now I'll have to zero this one again next range trip.....I guess I need a reason to shoot Carbines Big smile 

Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2021 at 8:44pm
 Nice shooting. I need to add some sight parts to my kit- have a lot of other parts- but nothing other than the sights themselves. Many of us have our “shooters” where we worry over accuracy, and I can relate 100%. Mag issues never make for smooth shooting. Excuses to go to the range are always welcome!
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2021 at 5:11pm
I experienced a similar problem with brand new out of the wrapper Korean mags and reported it here about a year ago. The census of opinion is that some of the mags did not get the heat treatment to harden the steel. I have other Korean mags that work and do not blow the tabs off. I had two bad ones. Otherwise my experience with the Korean mags has been very good. I'd rather not use my USGI ones, but they are obviously the best out there.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2021 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

I experienced a similar problem with brand new out of the wrapper Korean mags and reported it here about a year ago. The census of opinion is that some of the mags did not get the heat treatment to harden the steel. I have other Korean mags that work and do not blow the tabs off. I had two bad ones. Otherwise my experience with the Korean mags has been very good. I'd rather not use my USGI ones, but they are obviously the best out there.

That makes sense, I must have missed your issues with them.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2021 at 6:01pm
Ok, took the Inland back today to check zero since I had the issue with the front sight pin

"Bottom" target is the 1st 50 rounds, 50 rounds bench rested. 1st 5 rounds went high, I moved the rear sight back when I packed it I guess. I fire another 45 and decide I could use 1 click right.

"top" target 2nd 50 rounds. "Of course" I dial the wrong damn direction so the 1st 10 go 1 inch farther left. I correct and get the next 10 where i want.

There are 50 rounds on that target, I counted 30 "separate" holes so I figure that big one 6 o clock low in the 9 ring is 20 rounds.

Good enough for today so I brought 50 rounds home for next time Big smile 
35 Whelen View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 Whelen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2021 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

Ok, took the Inland back today to check zero since I had the issue with the front sight pin

"Bottom" target is the 1st 50 rounds, 50 rounds bench rested. 1st 5 rounds went high, I moved the rear sight back when I packed it I guess. I fire another 45 and decide I could use 1 click right.

"top" target 2nd 50 rounds. "Of course" I dial the wrong damn direction so the 1st 10 go 1 inch farther left. I correct and get the next 10 where i want.

There are 50 rounds on that target, I counted 30 "separate" holes so I figure that big one 6 o clock low in the 9 ring is 20 rounds.

Good shooting, glad you got it straightened out.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2021 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by 35 Whelen 35 Whelen wrote:

Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

Good shooting, glad you got it straightened out.

It'll do for now. I still think I'll need to tweak it a tad next week but it'll get the job done now if I need it
 Post Reply Post Reply