Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on a sling i found

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on a sling i found
    Posted: Jan 08 2021 at 11:40pm
hi
I found this sling locally here in greenville a few weeks ago
I have a photo of the sling that came on an Rti carbine next to it

When i first found it, it looked dark green, until i washed the dirt out then it looks khaki.  Paid $20 for it. It was in a pile of old mil stuff

My question is were klikit dot fasteners used on type 1 slings?
Ive only seen the 'dot' fasteners 
The fittings are brass
And it appears good to me but just wanted to get some thoughts

Thanks

20210108-232905

20210108-232921

20210108-232930

One on the left below is from RTI  and the right is the one i found

20210108-232950
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 10:37am
I believe that only the Dot fasteners were used on all of the original C-Tip slings, at least that is what I thought I read in a Bill Ricca post long ago somewhere. 

Edit to add:
May have been wrong with the above, just found this on an old CMP forum post by Bill Ricca.
"During WWII only one sling maker had fasteners that had a marking different than the dot."
Unfortunately I have no idea what the other marking is. 

Edited by W5USMC - Jan 09 2021 at 11:53am
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
1258combatengineer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 12:12pm
i just checked and i have a ww2 1943 dated carbine pouch with a klikit snap
And several other original ww2 pouches with klikit snaps.
The sling was beat to death dirty but i hand washed it in wool light and it cleaned up pretty decent.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 1:34pm
Bill Ricca acknowledged the klikit on web gear but he had not found them on on slings
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 2:12pm
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 2:34pm
i read most of those over the last few days when searching for info on carbine slings
The sling i have doesnt have Rau marked on it anywhere
The brass post is worn but no markings.

I do have a ww2 carbine pouch dated 1943 and it does have an rau marked brass fastener.   One of the links, the guys mentioned about not being sure if there were any rau brass fasteners in ww2.  I can confirm one of the original carbine pouches dated 1943 i have does have an rau marked back fastener 

The sling in the other link, the guy mentioned  how his C ends were blued, which the ends on mine are not blued.
Not that it helps but in the pile of old mil stuff where i found the sling, i  dug out and bought an original ibm 15rd mag with it.
This sling didnt have any markings when i got it
Ive collected ww2 stuff for about 20 years off and on.
But Im Just Learning About All The Intricate DetaIls On The Carbines.

Thanks To All

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 3:22pm
KLIKIT is a brand name of the RAU Fastener Company.

KLIKIT

LIFE MAG JAN 18, 1943

From Bill Ricca 2010:

"Brand of fasteners can vary on most items, especially Quartermaster items. The same maker could have different brands of fasteners, depending upon the time period, or the competitive costs."

"I will explain it so it is easier to understand.

Company A gets a contract which requires 50,000 sets of fasteners. Rau Fastener bids the lowest price (Klikit) and delivers the fasteners. During production the company gets another contract for a different item and it requires 10,000 fasteners. Scoville is the lowest bidder this time and 10,000 Star Pull arrive. During production some get mixed up and production on some of the first items start showing up with Scoville marked fasteners.

Another factor was that fasteners were available as sets, and as individual parts. Sometimes the parts got mixed up and a producer could have one company's marking on the socket and a different company's marking on the back plate.

These rules did not apply to Ordnance items because of the strict requirements of the drawings, but there were very rare production errors which resulted in exceptions."

HTH,
Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 3:43pm
thats a good link.  I love.those old ads 

So the brass clinch plate, brass studd and brass washer didnt have marking.  The brass socket is the only thing marked klikit

But i have a carbine pouch and a carlisle both dated 1943 with Star pull 
The carbine pouch is marked Atlas mfg co.  But the brass washer on the back is marked RAU fastener.   And another carbine pouch with the 'dot'  and the brass washer is blank.   So i dunno

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 4:42pm
I'd like to mention while I was at a gun show 4-5 years back I noticed a C Tip sling on a back corner of a dealers table who was selling misc arms, knives and gear, not really Milsurp type stuff. I seen the sling rolled up and wrapped with a rubber band. I knew it was real, I own a few hundred and know their value. Most came from a bulk purchase from a museum in Texas.

I asked how much, before I seen the little circled price tag on it for $15.00. He must have thought I was working him. He said how about $12 ? Then he added he thought it was for a M1 carbine. Being a buyer I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough but as I paused looking at this worn out looking older   guy and all the odds and ends he dragged in to hopefully make a few bucks on, I told him what they were worth as I was unrolling it. Then I seen it was a stamped S.M.Co. 44 dated sling and I upped the value. I told him about the markings and asked again how much? The man stood by his $12.00 quote. I gave him what I considered a great price for me of $75.00. He fumbled a bit, thinking I'd accidently handed him the extra money and was trying to make change. I got him to take the money and asked him to call me if he came across anymore or any carbine parts. A week or so goes by and he calls asking if I'll be at the next show in ~6 weeks or so. Said I'd be there. At that next show I could hear him yelling for me from a few aisles away. I didn't see any slings but he pulled a case from under the table and asked if I was interested. It was a Underwood W code in Pristine condition. He asked if $500 for it was fair? Again the buyer in me was ready to pounce, but again I said it was worth more. He then asked "Do you want it"? I said yes but would feel better if I paid more. He smiled and said then it's yours for $450.00. I laughed and told him he needed to brush up on his math skills. The man would NOT take more than $450 for it. So I paid and Thanked him and dropped off a coffee and sandwich for him. Told him I'd see him at the next show. I'll never forget his last words as I was saying good bye.
He said: "You know what goes around comes around and money isn't everything"

That was the last time I seen him. His phone was dis-connected and I didn't know where he was from.
About a year later I was asking the seller who always sets up near the same table about the guy and he'd said he had passed away. I mentioned a little to this other seller about buying from the guy to which he laughed and said this was only a hobby to that seller. Come to find out he died a very wealthy man. But I'll always remember what he said:

What goes around comes around and money isn't everything.

FWIW,
Charlie-Painter777

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by 1258combatengineer 1258combatengineer wrote:

thats a good link.  I love.those old ads 

So the brass clinch plate, brass studd and brass washer didnt have marking.  The brass socket is the only thing marked klikit

But i have a carbine pouch and a carlisle both dated 1943 with Star pull 
The carbine pouch is marked Atlas mfg co.  But the brass washer on the back is marked RAU fastener.   And another carbine pouch with the 'dot'  and the brass washer is blank.   So i dunno

You need to read the link again.
No one better schooled than Craig Pickrall when it came to web gear and fasteners.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 4:48pm
your a good man Charlie Brown, thanked your post

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 5:14pm
Keep in mind that not all sling snaps were brass, during the brass shortage some were stamped from steel then darkened.

There are also different shaped C tip ends.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 5:18pm
i will go back and re-read
Wow
Nice collection of slings!!!!
The old sling that came with that rti was blackened steel
I just figured the brass was early war

Thanks for all the info Charlie!!!
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1258combatengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2021 at 7:24pm
great life story regarding the gun show gentleman

In the article i read this from Bill

The WWII sling contract specified the dot fastener. One company got the authority to use Klik-it. 

Edited by 1258combatengineer - Jan 09 2021 at 8:58pm
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2021 at 8:56am
I expect there were many "letter" variances granted later, during actual production of slings/fasteners by the many producers; material, brand, color, finish. JMHO.
Don
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2021 at 2:00pm
Charlie...

I just read your story above.

"What goes around comes around and money isn't everything."

What a great story....and, even better,...what a great sentiment from a person who must have been a great human being, including you as well!

Thanks for sharing that.
Chad
USN Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply