Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question for the experts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for the experts
    Posted: Apr 22 2023 at 11:37am
I have a I.B.M. Corp M1 Carbine that I inherited. The serial number range puts it in the January to March manufacture range. The barrel is a 2/43 Rockola. My question is, did Rockola supply I.B.M. with barrels or has it been replaced at some point. The petina on the whole gun suggests that the barrel hasn't been replaced. Just curious. Thanks for any answers you can give me.
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2023 at 12:26pm
Well, I've forgotten more than I knew :-)   

but my guess is that the 2-43 Rock-Ola barrel is a replacement. IBM manufactured their own barrels and didn't actually deliver any carbines until the summer/fall of 1943.

If your carbine has a bayonet lug, that will tell us that it was rebuilt at some point, and presumably got the Rock-Ola barrel at that time.

But enjoy your carbine, regardless! I.B.M. Corp carbines are cool, but I never understood why they had so much trouble marking their serial numbers. Early IBMs tend to have nice and clear number stamping, but the majority that I've seen have sloppy numbers, with the leading numeral 3 frequently appearing to be an 8.

Regards, mb
Marty Black
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2023 at 12:34pm
Thank you for your input. Yes, it does have a bayonet lug. I failed to state the year of manufacture was 1944. I was just going on the fact that the petina was so uniform on the entire carbine. Thank you again.
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2023 at 3:51pm
You're welcome....Be sure to check the carbine website; it has more information (accurate and detailed information!) then you will find anywhere else.

After WWII, carbines were repaired as needed and rebuilt with all the latest design parts. Most arsenals refinished the carbines ("re-parkerized"), which resulted in fairly consistent gray color. It seems a bit odd to me that such an early Rock-Ola barrel was used in the rebuilding process, but the arsenals used what they had..what spare parts were in the supply system, and/or what parts were salvaged from damaged carbines. No one noticed and no one cared if the "correct" parts were used in the rebuilding process. :-)

I'd recommend you keep your carbine "as is," and not spend a lot of money and effort trying to "restore" your carbine to what it looked like when it left the IBM factory in 1944. Rather than being "as manufactured," it's now "as issued" for the Korean War or the Cold War, or possibly even for the Vietnam War. "Restoring" a carbine destroys its individual history. But I also acknowledge that my attitude about not-restoring is not in sync with 99% of carbine collectors. :-)

So enjoy your carbine, regardless of what parts are on it, or what parts you decide to change!

Regards, mb
Marty Black
 Post Reply Post Reply