Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quality Hardware Cartouche and Parts ID Assistance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swarrenb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality Hardware Cartouche and Parts ID Assistance
    Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 6:56pm
I took my Quality Hardware carbine out of the case to look it over because I had not done so in a while.  For some reason, my wife had all of the lights on in the bedroom, so it was very bright.  While doing so, I noticed a faint cartouche stamped on stock to the left side of the receiver that I had never noticed before, and I have owned this gun in excess of 2-3 years.  The cartouche in question are the letters RIA over the letters FK with a box around them.  I think I identified this as the rebuild stamp for the Rock Island Armory with the FK standing for Frank Knack.

I was able to find a single reference to this cartouche on line; however, this posting stated that Frank Knack was at RIA from 1920 to the early 30's.  If this is indeed the case, something does not quite workout because that means Mr. Knack left the RIA long before the M! carbine cam along.

Are my assumptions correct? 
Does anyone have any additional tidbits of wisdom on an RIA/FK cartouche on a Q-RMC, high wood, WWII vintage stock.

By the way, my Quality Hardware serial # puts it into the earlyish range and all of the parts match for Quality Hardware.  The only exceptions are that it has a 1943 Inland barrel and an SG, one-rivet hand guard.

Does anyone have any thoughts about that as well.
GoldenGuy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2016 at 9:50pm
From playing with 1911s you will find the RIA/FK
Frank Krack was Assistant Foreman of the Inspection Division at Rock Island Arsenal from September 17, 1941 until he retired on July 19th, 1946. During that period all small arms inspected under his supervision would be stamped with his initials "FK" as well as those of the Rock Island Arsenal "RIA".

that from this site I had bookmarked http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/arsenalrebuilds.htm

what he had to do with carbines I know not.
 Post Reply Post Reply