Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

QUALITY H.M.C. self rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QUALITY H.M.C. self rebuild
    Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 8:48pm
This has been a project of mine for a spell.
I have a Inland of the 1944 range and a nice shooter. Also a Gen 2 Universal that I'm really happy with.
I purchased this QHMC 1943 some time back and it also was a great shooter, but I wanted a carbine that possibly I could claim as parts correct, but of course not original.
That Catch-a-22 and still be happy. It's a wanna-be guys, and I claim nothing else.
It does have a barrel change. That part I left alone. It's a Underwood dated 9-44 and reads a 2 on the ME gauge. I'm sure it happened on the rebuild.
The stock it came with was also Underwood and with rebuild stamps. So yes, it traveled the system.
I guess I'm just asking how I did on the rebuild wanna-be so far?
I know everyone likes pictures, so I sent several.
Many thanks always. Love input, even if it's not what I want to hear.
PS: Serial # is 1918xxx

Edited by moneawon - Mar 15 2020 at 9:26am
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 9:21pm
Honestly, I think you did a nice job.
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 9:45pm
Many thanks.... It's all trial and error, but we do love it.
I can't begin to thank all the people that have helped out over time.
Lightning 330
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2020 at 9:28pm
Disapprove   Okay everyone. I must have entered this all wrong and do apologize.
This is indeed the Carbine Collector's site and this is not a collector.
I need to reverse this post and ask.
I purchased this carbine and know it has been changed up.
Input is welcome. Many thanks...........

I'm not looking for the atta boy thing. I know money was not well spent and it will never be recovered for the overall investment. Very well understood on the error side of learning. We do indeed learn as we go. You earn it.
Please just treat this post as a new purchase from a newbie and have at it.
I will not fight it or ask all the secret question's. I just want to know what is good or bad.
Input from 20 is always better than input from just a few.
Thanks once again.
Lightning 330
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2020 at 9:52pm
I would not fret about it to be honest. Put together or not, it is a very nice representation of a carbine in wartime configuration if you ask me. Hey, if it helps any, if I was in your place I would easily have that carbine as the crown jewel of a collection as some of the stuff you mated together is stuff some people tend to go nuts over and it is also I believe the kind of carbine some may dream of owning.
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 9:04am
I rarely correct anything I buy now, just mainly the furniture and that's if I can find it. I also don't encourage anyone to do over-the-top correcting, but if they want to I generally tell them it's their property, go for it.

I have no problem with the OP's QHMC carbine since he did the best he could with the canvas he started with. Life and carbines aren't perfect-sometimes you have to do the best with what one has.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Lightning330 Lightning330 wrote:

Disapprove   Okay everyone. I must have entered this all wrong and do apologize.
This is indeed the Carbine Collector's site and this is not a collector.

col·lec·tor
/kəˈlektər/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby.
    "a carbine collector"

car·bine·itis
/ˈkärˌbīn.ˈīdəs
noun, affliction 

a formal name for one who is infected with being a carbine collector or has the carbine "Bug".
"carbines are like potato chips, you cannot have just one"

Carbine collecting takes all forms. Some collect originals, some collect shooters some enjoy mixmasters and those such as the Bavarians, Italian returns or K.art carbines. We have pages on commercial carbines and many enjoy those.
 A great many enjoy correcting, just as you are doing. As far as the club is concerned it is yours to do what you please. Club policy (loosely)  is if you correct it and are selling you are to disclose that information to prospective buyers.

Any form of humping or making of parts to appear as original is just bad mojo IMHO.

Your doing just fine, enjoy!
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 6:42pm
Thanks again to all that replied.
I've got a spread sheet put together on this with pics, a list of all parts markings and the sub-contractor's names as to who made it for Quality Hardware. A brief history of the QHMC carbine, plus a full explain that it is indeed an attempt to make it as parts correct per it's time frame per serial #.
I even have in my sheet that the barrel had been changed in a re-build before I got it.
My range is about September of 43 and the barrel is a Underwood at 9-44 with a 2 on the gauge.
I didn't want to change that out but as said - it all is noted.
Also knowing that most carbines from the factory finish line, usually had a few parts that were part of the exchange or integrated system. One might easily have Standard or Underwood part or parts when it was finished etc. 
I, as my ex-wife said all the time. I don't explain myself very well. Big smile
I was waiting and expecting to hear some input like. This or that part looks like a reproduction.
Not wanting to hear it of course, but I was ready for it.
I'll never recover my cost for changing things and not concerned about that. I just want or would like to not have reproduction parts if I can avoid it. I don't have the eye talent for those things.
I have 3 carbines. One is a nice commercial. One is a late 44 Inland that has all the upgraded stuff on it. Then I have my 43 QHMC that I just wanted back to, or close too, what it should be.
My happy pill I call it with the car-bine-itis. One of each style so to speak.
Many thanks again to all.  Appreciate your site and input.
I will have a 4th someday soon I hope. I just have smaller pockets than I want. Plus I also like black powder cartridge guns. The woe of addiction.

Lightning 330
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 6:53pm
I wouldn't say that

Quote most carbines from the factory finish line, usually had a few parts that were part of the exchange or integrated system

Both integration and exchange records support that "some" (aka a few) did but considering 6 million plus carbines "from the factory finish line", "most" did not.

For obvious reasons, a much larger fraciton of the surviving carbines do though.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2020 at 7:34am
No parts on your rifle appear reproduction to me.
My first restoration build was also a QHMC from a CMP barreled receiver. It's only short the right barrel band and mag catch, which you managed to find.
It took me 15+ years to find an original QHMC for my collection, but I still have the one I restored it was fun to build up. Enjoy!
kar6666 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kar6666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2020 at 4:01pm
Being I am a long time collector 70s and 80s when most members corrected their carbines. I think you done a fine job. I know that now this looked down on but that's OK too.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2020 at 9:10pm
Parts buying was one of the first things that attracted me to Carbines. They have value and studying them was helpful. So what do you do with a lot of parts? Well, most never got used. Winchester and Saginaw Grand Rapids got used. The rest, not so much.

I've bought bunches of import marked Carbines and moved around parts a fair amount, especially if there were desirable parts to farm off of them or if the rear sight staking was original. As time proceeded, parts moving didn't satisfy me when looking at the finished product as compared to what some other people were doing...because other buyers were focusing on the most original stuff they could find and that was much smarter hobbying.

Today I've got a couple of early featured Carbines that were bought with Inland high wood stocks that aren't documented as transfers anywhere. But I can't bring myself to change them because you can see they've been on there for a very long time. Who knows.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2020 at 9:52pm
Thanks again to all that reply. Much appreciated.

Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply