Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Q.U. Hammer on Underwood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q.U. Hammer on Underwood
    Posted: May 12 2018 at 8:19pm
What can anyone tell me about a Q.U. straight hammer on a 2.88 million Underwood?  Only a single Q.U. hammer was reported in CC NL 127-3.  Maker?  Replacement?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 9:40pm
Utica Cutlery.  There are UC (Spares?) and Q.U. lined out with UC added.
I spoke to Bob Eakins about this and there are 3 data sheets with them in an Underwood, However....

Why is it not marked U.U. or C.U.?  My guess, and only a guess is that there are CU bolts and maybe they did not want to create confusion. Maybe the Q is UtiQua. Yep a bit far fetched.

There is a well respected carbine guru that says for QHMC. Maybe a spares contract to replace all those doglegs? But I would think if for QHMC and this late in the game the mark would be U.Q.

So are they for QHMC or Underwood?????????? That is the problem with people correcting early on, we may never know for sure.

If the patina matches and gun is otherwise correct I would say leave it be!

another thread with this hammer
 Post Reply Post Reply