Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Push Safety Markings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Push Safety Markings
    Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 5:21am
I showed these 3 Push Sights to Bill and he told one looks a little different (questionable) than the others. I was adding some to my Parts Bin and even though I have a few, I was comparing them to the ones I had bought awhile back from Shows and friends who buy them knowing I buy parts. Do you see any difference ?

Frank

Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 11:17am
They look legit to me??  Is he referring to the bolder E stamping?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 11:26am
not an expert, but the EW is not consistent with what I have seen. no idea on others
however if EW is subjective I will point out that SW appears to have same W
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 11:34am
I agree on the W's.  How ever the S's are different from the SN to SW?
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 11:45am
I just looked at pictures of my NPM 4.3 mil U-code and my NPM 4.2 mil.  That SN is not the same shape as the ones that are in them and they are both original.
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 11:49am
I took a look at my 1.4 mil NPM.  It has IN on the inside flat.  The N is different than that one also.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 11:50am
Ding, Ding Ding...Bill H. Told me he wasn't certain, but that's the one he mentioned. It's questionable. He said the Safety looks okay, but not certain about the Safety and EW mark. He said he didn't know why the stamp came out like that but first determine the safety itself he was 50/50 on that. He asked me to post it to get some feedback about both. I posted it here first before I would even think about putting it on Milsurps for several reasons. There is some great people here and don't want to get bombarded by several opions. There are Really seasoned M1 Carbine people here that can give me clues to what could of happened. Thank You Guys for Replying.
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 12:17pm
Each one were made by different Sub- Contractors as you know, but sending it to him and Jim and another M1 Enthusiast Author 2 days ago. The others looked okay to all 3 of them. One mentioned that dies and presses wear and they would use them until right before they knew the lettering for sure was going south on there mark. 2 had told me this and then mentioned   start looking at the Safety. The 2 that have more rounded edges or more likely to be correct with Stamping problems. The fake ones will have consistent markings but no rounded off edges plus looking at it very close there is another way which y'all know that the Safety is real. My SN marked Safety on my '44 NPM looks different then this one then found out that Sargent changed there SN style or also the take into consideration putting Fresh new letters inside the dies or presses the Lettering changed the way it came out when they started Stamping them again after changing them out.

The W's are Totally different E-the W is smaller and narrower the S-the W is bigger and sider. Both made by different Companies.

Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Scott C. Scott C. wrote:

I just looked at pictures of my NPM 4.3 mil U-code and my NPM 4.2 mil.  That SN is not the same shape as the ones that are in them and they are both original.

My '44 NPM there's 2 possible reason I was told why it looked different than the earlier one I showed here when I showed them mine. Either Sargent used Different lettering or Changed out the worn out SN lettering late. That's when you have to remove your Safety and look at wear patterns, but how do you determine if those wear patterns are not there because the Stamping is fresh when they discontinued production on the last Block of NPM'S run. If you search through images from "The Collectors Source" items I've seen my style they have sold plus other places. IDK, That's what fascinates me to where and how to determine this information because it has turned into a obsession of wanting to know.
Frank

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 1:36pm
Thickness of font and height variations can be due to depth of stamp.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 2:13pm
Keep in mind that fake parts have been made for decades now. Even real parts have been modified to make them look like something they are not. I also try and not get hung up on any particular manufacturer or parts marking. Keeping that kind of approach can save you money in the long run if you choose to go that route.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2016 at 9:27pm
I thought all EW had quote marks around them?
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2016 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

Keep in mind that fake parts have been made for decades now. Even real parts have been modified to make them look like something they are not. I also try and not get hung up on any particular manufacturer or parts marking. Keeping that kind of approach can save you money in the long run if you choose to go that route.

Very True...I seen Real Parts and have seen people look it over and talked about how they attempted to make into something else. I just don't know why someone would do something like this. Other than Greed what is in that person mind to not feel anything about destroying something genuine and has Historic Value. They have to be Border Line Psychotic and have no Self Respect..
Frank

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2016 at 10:48am
Greed and other unethical behavior is slowly or maybe not so slowly strangling this hobby to the point where I don't enjoy quite as much as I did when I first started. There's no telling how much extra time I've spent (wasted?) researching stuff or just remembering info on items I've seen for sale that are legit, poorly rebuilt or just plain attempted fraud. I can actually see a day when I stop buying carbines and related items just based on the deceit that's out there alone. I hope that day is not anytime soon, but I've sure as heck thought about its approach.
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2016 at 4:44pm
I have only one marked push button safety. It is this one in an Inland Trigger housing.
Does it look right?
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2016 at 5:06pm
that one is real-rest look bogus
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2016 at 12:53am
I just took a look at my original Winchester's safeties.  I have agree with you, all 3 three appear to be bogus. 
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2016 at 2:15pm
Made a mistake yesterday when I've said it was the only one marked. I have this one as well in a Standard Products trigger housing. Is that one fine too?

PingCMP View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingCMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2016 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

I thought all EW had quote marks around them?

That's what I thought too. 

Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2016 at 8:15am
IMO all 3 safeties are not USGI .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>