Print Page | Close Window

Surplus Carbine Ammo from CMP

Printed From: The Carbine Collector's Club
Category: The Club
Forum Name: Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
Forum Description: What to Check, Reloading, Tips for Accuracy, Competitive/Recreational Shooting
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6640
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 12:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Surplus Carbine Ammo from CMP
Posted By: W5USMC
Subject: Surplus Carbine Ammo from CMP
Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 5:03pm
The CMP sale of surplus 30 Carbine ammo started today. It is available for purchase by mail order as well as on-line from the CMP E-Store. 
Item # 4S30CARB-240 (Limit 2 boxes per customer)

$108 per box plus $12.95 S&H (AK & HI S&H is $74)

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Replies:
Posted By: CGG-1943
Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 5:23pm
Does anyone know when the next round of CMP affiliations are being processed by the Carbine Collector's Club?

-------------
Chris

NPM, Early 1943

Posted By: Matt_X
Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 8:03pm
According to the pinned threads, every 4 to 6 months.  So if your not already on, you will be soon.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Forum/cmp-affiliation-please-read_topic3616_page5.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Forum/cmp-affiliation-please-read_topic3616_page5.html

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3266&PID=23549&title=cmp-question#23549" rel="nofollow - http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3266&PID=23549&title=cmp-question#23549

I'm sure one of the admins will answer more specifically when they seeyour question.

I think the price for the carbine ammo is very fair at this time.  It may help drive down .30 carbine commercial prices, but really no way to know that.  If you shoot 8 to 10  matches a year, this will cover that and practice as well.  How consistant this shoots, I don't know, but shooting carbine against rifles is a bit of a disadvantage in the respect regardless.  I think I read something that suggested it was LC. 

Posted By: Smokpole
Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 9:30pm
I can't find any Estore link for carbine ammo.....

-------------
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member

Posted By: GotSnlB28
Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

I can't find any Estore link for carbine ammo.....

It was under "Ammo Surplus", I guess the inventory depleted quickly. When I'd checked earlier today, the e-store was very slow to respond, reminds me of the "good old days" when on an Orest new release day it would melt down in the resulting buying frenzy.
I'd guess it will be back given the limits, unless they didn't receive much of it. Oh, and I didn't order any.

Posted By: Smokpole
Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 10:02pm
Oh well too late again....

-------------
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member

Posted By: Marty Black
Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 10:04pm
Ah, the good ol' days.....I remember when carbine ammo was 15-20 cents a round.

One year at Camp Perry - sometime in the late 1990s - on Sunday as the CMP Matches were finishing up, the staff at the CMP store had a lot of M2 ball left over. They didn't want to haul tons of ammo back to Anniston, so they offered it at .10 a round!

I did the math on how much weight I could put in my Dodge Minivan before the springs bottomed out, and a buddy and I filled it with wooden crates of M2 ball. Driving that "locomotive" all the way back to Chicago was challenging, but we made it without incident.   

I still have a couple of those wooden crates (two cans to a case). Those WERE the good ol' days ! ! !

Regards, mb

-------------
Marty Black

Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 10:08pm
I managed to place an order earlier today, very painful process, took about 45 minutes from start to finish due to their overwhelmed slow speed website. All they are showing now is .22LR and 30-06.
https://estore.thecmp.org/?cat=AMS" rel="nofollow - Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore (thecmp.org)

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Posted By: vellnueve
Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 11:09pm
I had it in my cart and was trying to check out but it still had my address from several years ago in there and was super slow. Guess I lost my shot At it. Oh well.

Date Posted: Apr 11 2023 at 11:15pm
Similar story here.
I had two in the cart, and e-mailed a buddy who shoots Garand in the local matches.
I also e-mailed CMP to be sure they had the paper work needed for ammo sale.  I did buy a bore reflector earlier this year and submitted ID etc for that, so figured I'm probably good to go but wasn't 100% sure.
The e-store was running so slow, I just would check back every now and then to see if the page had refreshed.  Just went to my cart to complete the purchase and the ammo was removed for lack of stock. Unhappy

Posted By: thirtyround
Date Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 9:43am
How many rounds were there for each $108 dollar box?

Date Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 10:03am
Originally posted by thirtyround thirtyround wrote:

How many rounds were there for each $108 dollar box?

240 rounds. It was 108 plus S&H, and my recollection is that CMP also adds retail sales tax to the charges. 
Still a very fair price at this time.  (in comparison I bought PSD at 40 cents a couple years ago and Magtech at 54 cents early 2022 - those prices not including shipping and tax)

From the e-mail:

Item # 4S3006LCM2-400 (Limit one can per customer)  

$392 per can plus $21 S&H (AK & HI S&H is $102)

Item # 4S30CARB-240 (Limit 2 boxes per customer)

$108 per box plus $12.95 S&H (AK & HI S&H is $74)

Item # 4S22PISTOL-500 (Limit 2 bricks per customer.)

$40 per brick plus $12.95 S&H (AK & HI S&H is $68.95)

Posted By: Sawbones
Date Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 11:48am
I finally got onto the CMP website, logged-in (which indicates I am a "member"), placed a box of ammo into cart,  went to checkout and after time rec'd. notice the transaction was canceled until I provide "proof of citizenship".....with no specification of which country and no definition of which document I needed for "proof"!  What kind of idiot business is that CMP!?  I'm through with them.

-------------
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson

Date Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 1:15pm
CMP's  e-mail and other posted information is confusing.
It says to fill out the linked forms and then says buy through the e-store.

Here's my experience.
To purchase anything requires the approval process.  So to buy the bore reflector a few months ago:
I think in the checkout process I had to let them know my affiliated club (CCC in this case).  Then seperately send them a copy of some sort of proof of US citizenship etc. - I used a photo/scan of my old passport.    From the e-mail I revcieved this morning, that would have been enough proof to also buy the ammo.  

There are posts on CMP forum stating that paperwork is only good for one year, but dont know if thats true.

I also have a competition number just because I shoot in matches and the club sends in the results.  However I don't think that counts for anything as for as qualifying for sales.  So oddly not everyone who shoots in CMP matches may be eligible for purchases???  Who knows. 

Posted By: jim77cg
Date Posted: Apr 12 2023 at 2:15pm
I received the e-mail notification last night. Clicked on the CMP ESTORE link in the CMP e-mail. Clicked on Surplus Ammo. All 3 options were available when I submitted my order. Quickly received e-mail order acknowledgement confirming my order. Didn't have to complete any additional paperwork. Looking forward to receiving my CMP ammo.     

Date Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 1:37pm
M1 carbine ammo arrived yesterday.  I was lucky to order four bandoliers of 120 rounds each, all Lake City -72. 

Posted By: Abel4287
Date Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 4:03pm
it’s back available, I just purchased 240 rounds for $120.00 with shipping.

-------------
USMC 2111

Posted By: sling00
Date Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 5:32pm
I wonder what they are going to do with the ammo cans?

Date Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Good question. I could use more actual 30 carbine marked cans. 
The ammo that I received was all LC 69, and the bullets are attracted to a magnet, does not matter to me but it might matter depending on where you shoot.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

The ammo that I received was all LC 69, and the bullets are attracted to a magnet, does not matter to me but it might matter depending on where you shoot.

Dumb question. If the cases are brass, what would be steel?  I've seen references to steel plated bullets in WW2, but thought that was an expedient.  If I recall correctly it was for .38 Spl. in theater (so it could be used against enemy combatants).

Could be maybe some came packed in another manner? or they decided the easiest way to make more profit is sell the cans seperately?

Date Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 9:31pm
I think they are bi-metal plated bullets. I also checked some LC 72 that I already had, and they also are attracted to a magnet. 

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 10:22pm
Thanks Wayne.
That got me doing an internet search. Looks like steel jackets with copper gilding were used at least off and on into the 1970s. Here's some https://%20www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=48550&p=300022&viewfull=1#post300022" rel="nofollow -   LC 50 and in post 30, some LC 71 and other years also reported throughout that thread.
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=48550" rel="nofollow - CMP Carbine ammo (milsurps.com)

Date Posted: Apr 27 2023 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Could be maybe some came packed in another manner? or they decided the easiest way to make more profit is sell the cans seperately?

Just saw a photo of the 240 round count boxes and realized that metal cans probably hold 1080 rounds. Pinch  Now I understand why the cans are seperate.  Maybe worth an e-mail asking if will sell some of them.

Posted By: MilsurpsUSGI
Date Posted: Apr 28 2023 at 2:08pm
Matt,
Here's a picture of a can I bought about 3 years ago at a local show. The top layer had already been sold, but was able to buy what was left for $250. The current price from the CMP is a very good deal! - Bob

Date Posted: Apr 29 2023 at 3:38pm
Checked some boxed LC 50 I bought last year.  Son of a gun! They have the bimetal jackets. 

Posted By: jeepwm69
Date Posted: May 03 2023 at 11:17am
How long does it usually take for them to verify ID and membership?  Sent my stuff in last week and haven't heard a peep.

Date Posted: May 03 2023 at 12:22pm
Don't have an answer for that jeepwm69. Lots of complaints/posts over on the CMP forum about the same issue. I imagine the CMP is a bit overwhelmed with emails right now so it could take some time for them to update customers' accounts.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Posted By: thirtyround
Date Posted: May 03 2023 at 5:32pm
Would love to get my hands on an empty (30 carbine) ammo can or two. If anyone has one available , please advise, Cheers, JB

Date Posted: May 03 2023 at 5:45pm
All I can offer is how it worked for me.
Before ordering the bore mirror I e-mailed the store asking I needed to create an account since I already had a competition number.  The answer was yes.

Quote:
Once you click E-Store tab click the log in button in the
top right hand corner of the page, then hit register. You will then be able
to create your account. Once the account is created you can email me your
poof of club and citizenship so I can upload that information to your
account. If you have any questions, please let me know.

For citizenship I use a scan of my (expired) passport.  Yea I know I should renew it.
For club affiliation I provided the Carbine Club number as well as my competition number.
In the paragraph about the Carbine Club, I explained that the club sends a spreadsheet list which I should be on.

With the competion number, I provided the club that sponsers the matches.  (Note: I'm not a member of that club.  I just participate in their CMP matches and someone created a competition number for me.)  I have no idea if this qualifies for purchases, or only Carbinbe Club affiliation qualified me. 

I recieved an e-mail back that afternoon stating my account had been updated with the information.  Done.   This was in January.

When the ammunition went on sale I was told that my account is fine for purchasing.  I ordered carbine ammmo and a barracks cleaning rod last Friday.  Order acknowledments for both were e-mailed immediately.  No shipping information has been sent yet.

Date Posted: May 04 2023 at 1:28pm
Thanks Matt.  I sent an email last week with a copy of my passport, my login ID/account on the CMP site, and said I was a member here, and haven't heard a peep back. 

Date Posted: May 04 2023 at 2:23pm
Probably worth a follow up.

Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 9:28am
Still hit or miss for my affiliation thru Carbine Collectors Club. Last year they used it but when I asked this year they defaulted to my FOP membership.   They may just be inundated with request, but looking back at my request I got email replies the same or next day. 

Matt X has a point..."Probably worth a follow up."

Posted By: Uncle Mike
Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 10:17am
Hi, Everyone is having problems with the Club affiliation, or seems to be. I sent them an Email with my credentials and they fixed it in 2 hours. I think it's a E store glitch , Maybe, (?) I'm a member of the GCA, Carbine Club and my local club is affiliated. I use GCA as it's the easiest for me, good Luck, Mike

Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 12:45pm
Sent a follow up email yesterday.  No response to that one either.

Yall are sending these emails to custserve@thecmp.org right?

Posted By: SSNPingjockey
Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 12:50pm
I sent them an initial email yesterday with no response as of yet.  I sent to same address, custserve@thecmp.org, as listed on their site.  Guess maybe they are just overwhelmed?

-------------
Chad
USN Retired

Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by jeepwm69 jeepwm69 wrote:

Sent a follow up email yesterday.  No response to that one either.

Yall are sending these emails to custserve@thecmp.org right?

My initial e-mail was to info@thecmp.org
Pretty sure I got that address from the E-store

Date Posted: May 05 2023 at 5:19pm
FWIW: It took 15 days for my CLUB info to be updated via email to custserve@. Even though my club memberships have not lapsed in 15 years, and I authorized the release to CMP, I have needed to email for an update every year I ordered something. Maybe not in years I mail ordered a rifle.
Received 4 bandos of LC72 today, bright and shiny. Smells good like surplus should :)

Date Posted: May 06 2023 at 8:47pm
Ok…finally heard back from CMP that they received the copy of passport.  Said I’m updated and good to go.  Just ordered 4 bandoleers.

They responded to my follow-up email to “info@thecmp.org”, so thanks for the heads up that that one was the one you used!

-------------
Chad
USN Retired

Date Posted: May 08 2023 at 11:46am
Originally posted by SSNPingjockey SSNPingjockey wrote:

Ok…finally heard back from CMP that they received the copy of passport.  Said I’m updated and good to go.  Just ordered 4 bandoleers.

They responded to my follow-up email to “info@thecmp.org”, so thanks for the heads up that that one was the one you used!

Got a response from "info@thecmp.org" and was able to place an order.

Thanks guys!

Date Posted: May 24 2023 at 11:59am
Head stamp on what I received is also L C 72. Purple sealer. Slightly magnetic bimetal jacket.
The bandoliers are marked
CAL 30 CARBINE
BALL        M1
10 RD CLIPS
LC-50-226

The clips are the earlier pattern, with one spoon clipped to the cardboard 'box' in the first pocket.
One black finished safety pin on each bandolier.  What's that for?  Securing to clothing or ??
clip stamped
EL 8448480

Originally posted by Matt_X Matt_X wrote:

Checked some boxed LC 50 I bought last year.  Son of a gun! They have the bimetal jackets. 

Correction: Those boxes have LC 71 with red sealer and LC-50-206 must simply be the lot number.

Date Posted: May 24 2023 at 12:17pm
Here you go Matt, an old quote from Bill Ricca
"The safety pins are on all bandoleers. The pin is used to adjust the long loop so the bandoleer fits each individual, large and small. Some used the pin to make the loop a specific size, others also used the pin to attach the bandoleer to their clothing."

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: May 24 2023 at 12:31pm
Thanks Wayne!  Of course that makes sense.  

Posted By: Uncle Mike
Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 9:16am
Hi, I ordered Carbine ammo April 28 and was notified May 23, of shipment, regards, Mike

Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 9:29am
Thanks for info.  I was wondering on the processing/shipping time.  I ordered May 6 and have not heard or received anything.  So, it's taking them 3-4 weeks to get it shipped out.  Not a big deal, but at least we all know what to expect.

-------------
Chad
USN Retired

Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 1:05pm
My order was placed April 27 along with a cleaning rod on the 28th.  The orders had to be seperate.
The cleaning rod hit my CC first by a day or two.
Going to the e-store account, the ammo invoice shows a date of May 19. 
It never was given a Fedex tracking number there.
However I attempted to sign up for Fedex's delivery notification.  Kindof half worked.  Got an automated phone call with the delivery date and tracking number.  The driver actually called a couple minutes before arriving. I called him back and met him at the door.  Pretty easy but did mean sticking around to recieve it.

Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by jim77cg jim77cg wrote:

M1 carbine ammo arrived yesterday.  I was lucky to order four bandoliers of 120 rounds each, all Lake City -72. 

Was this limited to two per buyer, or two per order?

I could probably get the old man to order me some more, if it becomes available again, but would be easier to order it myself.

That said, I already ordered two.

Date Posted: May 25 2023 at 6:36pm
[/QUOTE]
Was this limited to two per buyer, or two per order?

I could probably get the old man to order me some more, if it becomes available again, but would be easier to order it myself.

That said, I already ordered two.
[/QUOTE]
2 per customer/year.  I haven't seen any listed lately.

Posted By: CGG-1943
Date Posted: Jun 30 2023 at 11:04am
jim77cg, is there a way to get a specific notification when surplus .30 carbine becomes available from the CMP, or did you just sign up for the general product update email under your account on the CMP eStore?

-------------
Chris

NPM, Early 1943

Date Posted: Jun 30 2023 at 11:52am
Yes, I received notification via regular informational e-mail from CMP. As i recall they sent out a heads-up that they had received the types of surplus ammo and after they had a chance to process it, they would make it available online for sale.  As soon as I received notification when it was ready, I ordered.
jim

Date Posted: Jun 30 2023 at 1:12pm
I don't believe CMP sends out email when stock goes in or out of e-store. You just have to be diligent on checking or usually someone on the CMP forum gives a heads up in the Ammunition sub-forum. It doesn't look like they are allowing backorders via mail, some said they were notified it was out of stock but then it later showed up back in stock on e-store.

Date Posted: Jun 30 2023 at 1:40pm
CGG-1943,
 It took me awhile to locate, but this is the exact notice I received via email from CMP concerning recent surplus ammo sales.  I can't speak for how others on this forum were notified.  I placed my order immediately after receiving this announcement. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net