Print Page | Close Window

H 110 powder and W 296

Printed From: The Carbine Collector's Club
Category: The Club
Forum Name: Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
Forum Description: What to Check, Reloading, Tips for Accuracy, Competitive/Recreational Shooting
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6525
Printed Date: Apr 19 2024 at 7:01pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: H 110 powder and W 296
Posted By: Lightning330
Subject: H 110 powder and W 296
Date Posted: Feb 04 2023 at 3:30pm
Hello: I've been reloading for 5+ years now and my favorite overall for my carbines was Accurate No. 9
at 12.5 grains. I heard 12.8 would be better, but I was happy with 12.5 because it seemed to please all.
We all are aware of the shortage. No.9 was no longer available at the time. I did find Winchester 296 and ordered a pound. Understanding that it is close to Hodgdon 110. 
My questions are: H 110 starts at 14.0 grains. Should I stick with that same number for starting with W 296? Has anyone used the W 296 in the carbine? I see No.9 is available now, but I have a full pound of W 296 and hate to not at least give it a spin. I try to stay in the 1,900 fps area with the 110 grain FMJ bullet. All my shoots are 25 to 50 yards for plinking. I do like to play a little at 100 yards if my eyes are in the mood.  Input?  Thanks again to all for your input in the past. 

-------------
Lightning 330

Replies:
Posted By: floydthecat
Date Posted: Feb 04 2023 at 4:13pm
I load 110 and 296 just alike and 12.7 grains of #9. #7 is a bit faster than #9 and you need to be careful with it, but it can be used. We use what we can find nowadays, but supplies are coming back…..except for ridiculously high primers. You can buy 9mm now as cheaply as you can reload it. Can’t say the same for 7.62x33.

Date Posted: Feb 05 2023 at 5:13pm
Thanks floydthecat. You mentioned loading H110 and W296 the same. But made no mention on the load that you use? 14.0 seems to be the starting point with 15.5 the max? I need to look that up again. I do like to keep my fps at around 1900 to 1950 tops. I have no Acc #7 and I'm sure I won't go there. #9 once again I'm sure after I use up this pound of W296. I won't know till I try it. Just looking for a recommended starting load beside what the book reads. In the past, I Always end up with a larger load than the starting point. Just trying to narrow it down a little. As you said, primers are still crazy high in price and just trying to conserve in that area. Any hints on a good primer source is always welcome. 

-------------
Lightning 330

Posted By: Matt_X
Date Posted: Feb 05 2023 at 5:34pm
Not my area of knowledge but do follow many of these posts just for my curiosity.

This thread at CMP may be of use
https://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=189624&postcount=11" rel="nofollow - https://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=189624&postcount=11

and here's a search here for 296 by topic
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/search_results_topics.asp?SearchID=20230205222501&KW=296" rel="nofollow - http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/search_results_topics.asp?SearchID=20230205222501&KW=296

also

Date Posted: Feb 05 2023 at 7:16pm
Thanks Matt for jumping in on this subject as well. The 1st link I could open and it had some awesome info. The 2nd link was expired and I could not find it otherwise. 
Looks like 14.5 will be a great starting point. Save the primers is a great goal nowadays for testing.
It was a huge step in the right direction and many thanks. I love the dance, but at 25 cents for a primer, cutting safe corners I more than welcome.  

-------------
Lightning 330

Date Posted: Feb 05 2023 at 7:43pm
I don’t compete with the 30-carbine and not much concerned with anything other than “decent” accuracy. It’s sort of a plinker for me. I usually load on the conservative side for anything I load for. 14-grains 296 tips the scales on my chrono at an average of 1840fps and the beans run fine with it.

Date Posted: Feb 05 2023 at 8:17pm
I'm sure few actually compete with the 30 carbine. Decent overall is my goal and always has been. 
Just a new powder untried and looking for a starting point. All answers have been very helpful and much appreciated. Earlier said: Save the primers when you can. The fun of self dialing it in has become expensive plus hard to re-supply. 

-------------
Lightning 330

Posted By: David Albert
Date Posted: Feb 05 2023 at 9:00pm
.30 Carbine was the first caliber I ever reloaded, beginning in 1984. I still use 13.2 grains of Win 296.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout

Posted By: 35 Whelen
Date Posted: Feb 05 2023 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Lightning330 Lightning330 wrote:

Hello: I've been reloading for 5+ years now and my favorite overall for my carbines was Accurate No. 9
at 12.5 grains. I heard 12.8 would be better, but I was happy with 12.5 because it seemed to please all.
We all are aware of the shortage. No.9 was no longer available at the time. I did find Winchester 296 and ordered a pound. Understanding that it is close to Hodgdon 110. 
My questions are: H 110 starts at 14.0 grains. Should I stick with that same number for starting with W 296? Has anyone used the W 296 in the carbine? I see No.9 is available now, but I have a full pound of W 296 and hate to not at least give it a spin. I try to stay in the 1,900 fps area with the 110 grain FMJ bullet. All my shoots are 25 to 50 yards for plinking. I do like to play a little at 100 yards if my eyes are in the mood.  Input?  Thanks again to all for your input in the past. 

H110 and W296 are one and the same and data is 100% interchangeable. My goal is to load .30 Carbine that duplicates the ballistics of the original load so I can regulate my sights such that they' work with any load running a 110 gr. FMJ 1990 fps +/- a couple dozen fps. I have steel target on my 100 and 200 yd. range and it's quite gratifying to be able to hit consistently at those ranges. To that end, I load 15.0 gr. of H110/W296 and get the velocity I want. I'm betting 14.0 gr. will get you around 1900 fps.

The last few months I've been using Accurate 4100/Ramshot Enforcer (same powder) as both are generally available. 14.8 grs. and a 110 gr. Hornady consistently yields right at 2000 fps, while loading a 110 gr. Armscor drops the velocity to around 1970, depending on the primer. I like these powders so well that  I'll probably stop using H110/W296.

Speaking of primers, this weekend I tested a couple of loads with W296 and Ramshot Enforcer with several different primers including small pistol, small pistol magnum, small rifle and small rifle magnum. My goal was to see if one type primer gave markedly different results than another. If you're interested, here's the link-  https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-30-Carbine-Primer-Tests-and-Comparisons/42-542023/" rel="nofollow - .30 Carbine Primer Tests and Comparisons - AR15.COM

Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 5:52am
Nothing scientific about it, but just judging from the feel and ejection patterns, some magnum primers do perform a little better for me in some calibers. Not a secret that I hobby-around with caliber conversions. The 30 caliber does not seem to mind that much, as supported by posted chrono data. I have a 9mm that is very sensitive to both the charge, bullet weight and the primer used. I like to discover the weakest load that a particular carbine will cycle. I have discovered the magnum primers do add some energy over standard pistol primers in terms of what the gun will cycle. The 30 caliber seems to run well across a fairly broad range of loadings with about any primer. The 9mm is more sensitive to primer types. Maybe pressure curves are altered a bit using different primers. Some loads I shoot in that particular carbine won’t cycle with a standard CCI 500 pistol primer, but runs on a CCI 550 and small rifle primers. I think magnum primers do add something, maybe not enough to make a big difference on the chrono, but will show up on marginal loads.

Posted By: David Milisock
Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 10:29am
I've rebuilt many shooters and have 2 myself a Quality Hardware 43 with a Buffalo barrel and an Inland 42 I believe, with an Inland barrel. All springs replaced, extra power Wolf recoil spring, new rebuilt bolts.

I'm using Hodgen LilGun at 15 1/2 grain as maximum with CCI small rifle, magnum primers my experience has been that cold weather ignition and cycling is improved. It's a bit slower, burns a tad cleaner and cooler.

During my last load development with my current lot of LilGun powder I used factory Federal FMJ 110 grain as my base control. They clocked 1920 at 10 feet over my Caldwell chronograph, ejection was positive, 3 to 4 feet between 1 and 2 o'clock looking over the muzzle. I found that 3 out of 5 cases from Federal showed catered primersand ejector marks leading me to consider that peak pressure was near maximum.

I took loads of LilGun starting at 13 grain to 16 1/2 grains in half grain increments with me. Again clocking at 10 feet, the 13 grain load produced 1910 FPS average with zero pressure signs but weak extraction. The velocity increased with zero pressure signs and proper extraction up to and including 15 1/2 grains. At that time velocity was 2260 FPS, zero pressure signs, primers were a bit more flattened and extraction was positive, 3 to 4 feet between 1 and 2 o'clock.

At 16 grains there was no increase in velocity but now 2 out of 5 primers showed catering and 3 cases had ejector marks.

These are working rifles and I have zero consideration for longevity, I have plenty of parts and will rebuild as required. I also do not participate in competitions with them so round count will be low. These are PDW, truck and farm rifles and the magnum primers, modern powders safely produce a significant improvement in cold weather performance as well as a nearlm300 foot pound increase of on target energy.  That's nearly 65%over the factory Federal ammunition. 

-------------
David Milisock

Posted By: Sawbones
Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 12:53pm
Hey Lightning333
Yeah H110 and W296 burn rates are identical.
Below are the results of my testing w/ H110 w/ CCL primers on my CHRONY:

14.0gr-----1,863f/s average
14.5gr-----1,943f/s average
15.0gr-----1.968f/s average

Off the shelf Ballot & Sellier 110gr FMJ consistently at 2,100f/s average.  A bit hot but acceptable.

-------------
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 1:51pm
Did you see any pressure signs?

-------------
David Milisock

Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Sawbones Sawbones wrote:

Off the shelf Ballot & Sellier 110gr FMJ consistently at 2,100f/s average.  A bit hot but acceptable.

Other S&B calibers I shoot run warm also. It’s good stuff.

Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 3:47pm
Wow! This is all so cool and interesting. Thanks to all of you for chiming in. All the info on primers is informative as well. I have been using Rem 6 1/2 and CCI 400 which both seem equal, but I'm not fine tuned in my head enough to really tell a difference. Range time is limited and surrounded by a reservation makes taking a fun road trip and plinking in the wide open spaces a little in the gray area. 
The 13.2 grains of W296 from David Albert is interesting with him using that load for so many years. Bigger is not always better, but that does sound on the light side. I'm sure I will load a few myself just to check it out. Also impressed with 35 Whelen's ability to ring a steel plate at 200 yards with 15.0 grains of W296. Heck, I can't even see that far. Unhappy Looking forward to hearing more. 

-------------
Lightning 330

Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 4:44pm

Nope

-------------
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 5:18pm
Just briefly back to Floyd's mention of S&B shelf ammo. Before I started reloading I of course used several brands of shelf. I agree S&B was a little hot for my taste but effective and I always saved the brass. With my pick of all, it boiled down to PPU. Just my opinion is all, but I liked it and my 3 carbines did as well, and also liked the brass for reloads. I have heard that PPU is not available anymore due to? 
Is this true, or just media talk? Ha - stirring the pot!

-------------
Lightning 330

Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 6:23pm
Reflecting back on pressure signs relating to the Sellier & Bellot cartridge:
There was noticeable flattening of the primer  but no cratering of the firing pin point of impact and no discoloration relating to powder blow back or extractor marks.
I bought the S & B for the brass casings to reload. 

-------------

Posted By: Jond41403
Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 9:48pm
I sure hope that's just a rumor and not true about the PPU because that's basically all I run through my carbine and maybe a little bit of Remington every now and then but my M1 garand only uses PPU. That's all I have ever shot through my garand because it's great ammo and my thought on it was I needed to look no further.

Posted By: 35 Whelen
Date Posted: Feb 06 2023 at 11:20pm

Also impressed with 35 Whelen's ability to ring a steel plate at 200 yards with 15.0 grains of W296. Heck, I can't even see that far. Unhappy Looking forward to hearing more. 

The key to shooting well with open sights (aside from the principles of shooting) is to have a target that works well with the sights. Trying to see a black post or Patridge front sight such as these against a black target is difficult, at best. My 100 yd. target is a 12" diameter piece of AR500 that I keep painted white.

The dark front sight of an M1 Carbine provides great contrast and makes it easy to repeat the sight picture.  

My 200 yd. target is a piece of 24" AR500. It too is painted white, only it has a roughly 12" black center with a roughly 4" white center. My almost 60 year old eyes can just make out the 4" white center, and when the white "splotch" almost disappears behind the front sight I know elevation is good.

This target works very well, even better than the 100 yd. target.

If I can do it, anyone can!

Regarding PPU ammunition, I believe it's still available, but not in .30 Carbine, at the moment.

Date Posted: Feb 07 2023 at 9:56am
Originally posted by David Milisock David Milisock wrote:

Not until I got to 16 grains of LilGun. The +300 FPS over factory Federal ammunition velocities improves the in close performance. With magnum primers winter performance was improved, however the 30 Carbine is still limited to 200 yards for high reliability in terms of hits. H110 did not perform will for me in winter even with magnum primers, it worked with no stoppages but it had wider variations in velocities and ejection went all over the place. Winter testing went down to 10 degrees F.

I've been using LilGun for some time now, I switched from H110. LilGun is one step faster on the burn rate chart than H110.

The 30 Carbine gas port is pretty close to the chamber and I had used H110 for years for various cartridges and the 30 Carbine. 

-------------
David Milisock

Posted By: Matt_X
Date Posted: Feb 07 2023 at 8:36pm

I agree S&B was a little hot for my taste but effective and I always saved the brass. With my pick of all, it boiled down to PPU. Just my opinion is all, but I liked it and my 3 carbines did as well, and also liked the brass for reloads. I have heard that PPU is not available anymore due to? 
Is this true, or just media talk? 

Well with a report or rumor that may be relevant to me, I like to see if I can turn up some source material.  In some ways no different than historical research.
If its a government law or regulation, those are all public. Regs typically go through public comment periods before implementation.  So there might be an original version and a revised version.
So for example the restrictions on Russian made goods - I haven't looked it up, but I don't think it would be hard to find.

Now for a commerical item, from a specific company, often these days they will post info on their website. 
Looking at PPU's US website, I'm not finding anything to indicate their products are not available.
https://ppu-usa.com/" rel="nofollow - https://ppu-usa.com/

If it makes you feel better I bought some PPU .30 carbine not long ago. They probably made a batch after catching up with the high demand stuff. It wasn't on the shelves long. 

Posted By: Jond41403
Date Posted: Feb 07 2023 at 11:45pm
Yes thank you, that does make me feel a little better. I have loved PPU ammunition ever since I got into Milsurps over a decade ago. Every caliber I've tried of theirs has performed flawlessly. Luckily I have stockpiles of it, but we all know when shooting,stockpiles don't stay stockpiles forever haha

Date Posted: Feb 08 2023 at 7:38pm
This is great. I love how this post has grown with discussion. PPU for me as a personal choice for brass and actual shelf loads. I prefer reloading my own, but when they hit 5-6 reloads. I toss them and get PPU shelf again for start-overs. My Acc #9 at 12.5 seems to be a close match so its all happy shooting, but I do now have the W 296 to use and try. I don't want to waste or deny the possible. Never say never until you try it. 
In general. Where is your normal cut off point on brass? Minus load and crimp variables. Just the general time frame of use. Love the plate shoots at 100 and 200 yards. Very nice carbines as well. 
I have a nice 10" swinging chain steel plate that I want to try. But at my local suburban gun range, it's all about working with others and their down time while you set up and tear down. Everyone works together, but you carry guilt as well. Hence: I have had it 2 years and never set it up. It's all good stuff guys and a great read full of good and possible info for me.   

-------------
Lightning 330

Date Posted: Feb 09 2023 at 10:24am
Interesting that so many people move the same way, I reload mostly but when PPU was inexpensive I bought 1,000 rounds, which when I shot a box for testing it shot pretty good. I figure I have a source for brass for awhile.

-------------
David Milisock

Posted By: az30cal
Date Posted: Feb 11 2023 at 11:36am
New to the forum, first post, and have enjoyed reading Lightning's questionsStar and all the responses. Lot to learn, and loving my first 30 cal!

Posted By: jackp1028
Date Posted: Feb 11 2023 at 11:46am
Hey Bill, welcome to the Club from New Mexico!

-------------
JackP

Date Posted: Feb 11 2023 at 2:14pm
Welcome ole buddy. Glad your in the mix now. 

-------------
Lightning 330

Posted By: CGG-1943
Date Posted: Feb 11 2023 at 7:42pm
David, question on your switch to Lil Gun. Can you explain a little more why the faster burn rate of Lil Gun is preferable? Is it a matter of getting more combustion before the bullet has passed the gas port, or is it more about the improved muzzle velocity in the cold weather?

-------------
Chris

NPM, Early 1943

Date Posted: Feb 12 2023 at 10:34am
I made the change years ago when I was shooting much higher volumes of ammunition because of a couple reasons.  At that time a lighter load of LilGun compared to a lighter load of H110, (for less hard on the action higher volume tactical practice) shot cleaner and (to my perception) produced a noticeable difference in barrel heat after a 10 or 20 shot string. Using LilGun allowed me to replace H110 as it was good in my other cartridges but beware it's limited to under 50'000 PSI. At higher pressures it can produce extreme flame temperatures and cause gauling in revolver cylinders.

I decided to give up the tactical shooting and completely rebuilt my rifles and have them and my ammunition inventory setup as PDW/Truck rifles.

That process had me testing H110, LilGun and lubricants for extreme cold and heat. A load that's worked for cold weather may produce excessive pressure at 100+ degrees.  

Also from my experiance and talking to WWII and Korean War veterans cold weather performance was a problem, however to say it as I see it, the rifles in WWII seemed to have less issues in the cold than those used in Korea. I'd think that Howa and FN rebuilds were not as up to snuff as the newly built rifles and the ammunition quality was low and possibly susceptible to the cold.

My testing utilizing cold storage and wet/icy winter conditions had my rifles working cleaner and loads have less extreme spreads in velocity with LilGun and magnum primers.

The M1 Carbine with the gas port position is much like a long barreled handgun. It (as it should be for a defence rifle) is over gassed and produces powder residue in the action. That causes issues with contaminating lubricants in the cold. A grease or oil that does not freeze up in the extreme cold liquefied quickly becomes contaminated with powder residue and can after cooling render a rifle less reliable or inoperable.

I have tested moly lubricants against various other types and found that reasonable people have good arguments both ways. With extreme cold, clean and lubricated rifles both types of lubricants feel a bit  stiff at startup but function flawlessly.  After firing 100 rounds and placed back into the freezer for 3 hours the dry lubricated rifle showed little powder build up and functioned flawlessly for another 100 rounds.  The rifles with better greases were more dirty but still functioned flawlessly for another 100 rounds.

In the end I felt the moly lubricants were cleaner to the shooter but provided no better service. In the end any choice still requires the shooter to protect the rifle in the field from icing and to regularly clean the metal well for long term service.

-------------
David Milisock

Posted By: CGG-1943
Date Posted: Feb 12 2023 at 8:18pm
I appreciate the extra detail! I'm thinking about getting into reloading, and I want to consider cold weather issues, since I will be regularly shooting when it is below freezing.

Side note, I've owned my carbine for several years, but I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it until this past December/January. I was very excited to get it out to the range.

I went out in the cold back around the new year and shot some factory loaded PPU. I picked the nicest day I could (it was about 20 when I was shooting, while the rest of the week was between -10 and 15). The PPU performed well. I had a few failure to feed out of ~200 rounds, but I think that was due to an older spring in one of my mags (unfired rounds would stove pipe). 

The carbine was oiled up with some Hoppes No9 (their oil, not the grease), and I didn't notice any issues with moisture/ice build up.

-------------
Chris

NPM, Early 1943

Date Posted: Feb 12 2023 at 10:39pm
The biggest problem I've encountered is the lubricants getting stiff after the first string of fire. Moly does not do that but it offers no moisture protection.  It however is much cleaner, (smells less) but with intelligent handling the rifle there's no issues.  I carry a parka to protect myself and the rifles from winter conditions. 

-------------
David Milisock

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net