Forum Description: Share Your Carbine
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4654
Printed Date: Apr 23 2024 at 9:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Speaking of RTI
Posted By: Guppy35
Subject: Speaking of RTI
Date Posted: Apr 29 2020 at 4:26pm
Since I was lucky and got an Un-Quality from RTI when I ordered the lowest priced M1 Carbine I talked myself into taking another shot. 

With that in mind, I called them and asked if they had any 'project' Carbines, as in not listed for sale and still available cheaper as they may need some repair or replacement stock etc.  Turns out they do and I was able to get myself a 'project' for $300 less than what is listed as the lowest price on the website.

I know most folks want them in great shape, but I was looking for one to bring back to life.  Figured there may be others with that same mindset here.  If so it  would be worth giving them a call as the one I'm getting is not one of the 16 remaining on the website listing.

Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky again :)

Replies:
Posted By: cosmoline45
Date Posted: Apr 29 2020 at 11:07pm
what a great idea!

Posted By: carbinekid
Date Posted: Apr 30 2020 at 1:23pm
Did they happen to say what issues you can expect the carbine to have?

Date Posted: Apr 30 2020 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by carbinekid carbinekid wrote:

Did they happen to say what issues you can expect the carbine to have?

Sounds like it might be damaged stocks. 

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:17pm
For what it's worth.  I got the early Inland carbine today that I got for $300 less than the lowest price carbines listed.  The issue was in fact a missing piece from the stock.   Again I got lucky I believe.  It's an early Inland, serial number 332XXX.  The barrel is dated 5-43.  It does have a bayonet lug as well as the flip safety and Type II rear sight.  Everything else seems to be original.  The stock although missing a piece, seems to be the one it came with originally. The cartouche is visible on the right side of the stock and it appears to be a high stock as well. A Type I handguard I believe too.  No Springfield Armory stamp like I had on the Un-Quality I got from RTI. 

When I picked it up today at the local gun shop/FFL there happened to be a gunsmith there who also owns carbines.  I asked him what he thought.  He looked it over and told me the barrel looked great and everything was functioning well.  He then told me to clean it a bit and go shoot it :)

So I got lucky a second time.  I know some folks have been unhappy with their carbine from RTI, but both exceeded my expectations.  And they are pieces of history and that's what matters in the end to me.

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:19pm
The damage. Not sure what to do about it, but because it appears to be the original stock I don't want to replace it if possible

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:20pm
Some other views to follow.

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:20pm
and more

Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:22pm

Posted By: cosmoline45
Date Posted: May 12 2020 at 9:36pm
i’d be happy with that one too!

Posted By: tenOCEE
Date Posted: May 13 2020 at 8:49am
I haven't seen much lately that interests me from RTI. The early featured ones were interesting but not much else. The $600 specials were down where they might have tempted me in a different time but they ultimately didn't before they sold out. If we ever have shows again there will be much better pricing and condition to be found just like there was before they turned the global economy off.

-------------
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/" rel="nofollow - https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/

Posted By: Ricci1165
Date Posted: May 13 2020 at 10:04am
tenOCEE,

I agree. Although I'm happy for those that have purchased from RTI and received exactly what they paid for, good for them. The "ONLY" reason I'm happy for the recent RTI carbines is that it has driven up the value my CMP carbines. For the money RTI is asking on some of these, there are much better condition deals out there with a little invested time to look. 

Posted By: Why Carbines?
Date Posted: May 13 2020 at 11:52am
To me RTI spells out Really Tepid Interest on my part.

Posted By: sling00
Date Posted: May 13 2020 at 1:41pm
Perhaps it was the self-discipline spilling over from all this COVID-19 fiasco but I did manage to subdue a moderate to severe case of carbineitus. Glad to see I'm not the only one to not pull the trigger on one of these.  (Pun intended.)

Posted By: GotSnlB28
Date Posted: May 13 2020 at 6:13pm
I'm really "meh" on these too... I'm happy to live vicariously through other buyers of early featured RTI carbines. My only interest was examining in person to collect data and possibly hand selecting one, but obviously that was/is a pipe dream. I would rather seek out other specific examples missing from my collection, and just shoot the ones I already have.

@OP, you got a decent rifle for the money there.

Posted By: m1a1fan
Date Posted: May 13 2020 at 7:47pm
Kinda meh as well. Not meant as a negative, but who knew UNQ’s were in the mix.

Even if not completely correct, if mine would keep them the way they are. If only RTI knew what they had.

To the OP, nice pickup.

Posted By: Horrible_Aim
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:09am
I was very satisfied with my "excellent/unissued" NPM and ordered a second, this time an early production. 

Received the shipping notice today -- looks like a 5622xxx Winchester. Will post pics when it arrives.

For those of us just getting into M1 carbines or who weren't around to enjoy CMP buys (early 20s here), these RTI's are definitely a good investment. I'm keeping the early production intact and will use the NPM for shooting. 

Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:11pm
5.62 is not an early production. Lots of brand new posters are always promoting the purchase of items like these every time something similar pops up. It's been long enough for people with decades of experience to evaluate what we're seeing. I've seen this exact thing happen several times on different arm platforms.

After they're gone you won't see many of these brand new posters involved on the specific forums. Investment? Probably not.

-------------
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/" rel="nofollow - https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/

Posted By: Ricci1165
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:31pm
The OP did well and I'm happy for him....me?...nope.

I'm glad to see RTI at least return these MAP M1 Carbines back us. I wish we could return others as well in many other countries.....I know South Korea has an excess of 1M....the Philippines also have a pile of carbines waiting to return, that would be a CMP dream once again.

My last CMP carbine purchase was in the early 2000's and purchased my entire quota for service grade. Boy was I in heaven when the Fed Ex truck backed into my driveway with all those carbines! 

Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 12:57pm
For the record I never bought during CMP's general releases of Carbines so I'm not looking at this from that perspective. I bought an IP and M1A1 at auction for high prices. Prices that they're still selling for occasionally. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 1:54pm
People buy for different reasons. Not everyone is a hardcore collector stretching back into the 1960s agonizing over serial number differences or import stamps.

I wanted an M1 carbine in a WW2 configuration that wasn't a cheap repro or some CMP hand-me-down that's been bubba'd and swapped by 300 people. I enjoy shooting, and knowing the rifle consists of original parts. 

Are quality originals out there? Sure there are. But some of us have young mouths to feed and don't want to spend thousands on them. Again, not everyone is an obsessive collector and some of us enjoy these rifles for what they are. RTI imports fit that purpose for me and others. 

Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 2:15pm
Excellent observations.

Tastes change as well. One might start out collecting every M1A1 butt plate mold position number then sell all of them and switch to IP’s, Presentations, I Cuts or perhaps volunteer to help the club.

Takes all kinds for sure.

A must to have at least one shooter...hopefully on the cheap.

Posted By: W5USMC
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 3:35pm
I for one am happy with the "early" NPM that I received from RTI. I personally collect carbines, all of them, mixmasters, originals and even imports, love them all equally and shoot 90% of them. One of my very long term goals is to have one from every importer, not really sure why, but that gives me an excuse to buy more.  

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 3:59pm
That's the beauty of the hobby. There is no 'right way" to do this. We can set our own standards.  The RTI carbines appealed to the part of me that likes the wayward.  And by taking a chance on what I'd get, it added to the fun.  Obviously I got lucky with the UN-Quality and even the early Inland.   My first carbine way back when was a Korean import.  I ended up selling it and regretting it forever.  These let me kill that regret in that it feels like I'm 'saving' some history. 

The other carbine I have is a very nice Inland and a bring back that has the original parts.  I want to keep that one nice, where I feel like the two RTI's can be " played with", although I suppose I should go easy on the Un-Quality :)

I'm sure over time I'll want to get another carbine and will most likely go slow and be more specfic about what I want.  But these met the stay at home need I was feeling :)

Dan

Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 4:17pm
Totally in agreement that the historical aspect is pretty intriguing to watch it unfold in real time and that makes sales. If I were closer I'd have been on the road to make a video to publish online and in order to select a couple for myself.

So, everybody pretty well knows I will gladly buy everything from junk, imports as well as decent quality. Most know I call myself an enthusiast and hobbiest but not so much a collector. Most know I've only been involved for about 10-11 years. I got into these only because I wanted a cheap machinegun and the M2 Carbine fit the bill.

I still try to buy M1A1 butt plates of every position #, IP stuff and still will still buy flip sights.

The RTIs aren't very affordable is really what I've been saying. There were some bargains in the early featured ones that were. People (many people) spent enough to buy almost any of the ones listed below.

The last original Carbines I've seen sell locally within the last year  6-7 months are:
Underwood. All early features. Spectacular metal condition. $1000
Saginaw S'G' early features, but straight hammer era. $1150 $1250
Win first 15000 serial, $1700
Inland mid production with a soldier's personalization and a couple acc's, $900
A fairly original SP with early features, $950
Actually I can't remember the very last one but handled it personally and the price was I think $750-900? EDIT (may have been an Und with flip staking only, but adjustable sight.) And maybe deldriver can remember if it was a type I band gun or what it was. Was a deal though and I had it apart to check it over.
There were 2 others, IBMs I didn't get a good look at which I also can't remember the prices but anyone here would've bought. That is just the shows and personal offerings I personally witnessed in one small bubble of the world.

-------------

Posted By: Smokpole
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 5:13pm
Around 8 months ago, I picked up an early Inland low 5 digit for $700. It was around 80% original. Just needed to replace the stock, hammer spring and rear sight. I figure I got a steal on that one.

-------------
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member

Posted By: Road Rat
Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 5:14pm
Anyone have a link to this RTI for looking/buying/etc.? Thks

-------------
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP

Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 5:22pm
There was a link on the thread here. Look for the one with the blurb about their felony convictions. That might be the one.

-------------

Date Posted: May 14 2020 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Road Rat Road Rat wrote:

Anyone have a link to this RTI for looking/buying/etc.? Thks

https://www.royaltigerimports.com/default.asp" rel="nofollow - https://www.royaltigerimports.com/default.asp

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: May 15 2020 at 6:38pm
I once bought a beat up rusty IP marked butt plate. It had two holes drilled in it and was cheap. For some reason, I liked it and made the purchase. Still have it. Did a little light rust removal and put some rust inhibitor on it. Came in handy since it is a real IP butt plate and saved me some dough during an evaluation. Thanks Doctor Flip. 😉 

There is a collection that I would like to see. All of the importers...I like it!  That is quite the list and as a bonus probably not much humping going on in that space.

Kudos to all carbine collector varieties.

Probably deserves its own thread, but I would love to hear what is currently tickling the fancy of club members.

Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 3:41pm
I just picked up my second RTI carbine, this one an "early features" Winchester with W-marked barrel. Flip sights, push safety, etc. Very happy with it and will post pictures soon. 

One thing I was hoping you guys could clarify is the stock -- it's a beautiful I-cut stock with low wood. Were these early high wood stocks that they cut down later? 

Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 4:06pm
They were all high woods. Then they went to oval oiler hole with high wood. Later they were made as low wood from the factory as the high wood was prone to issues.
It's just called a flip sight, btw. It only has one flip sight. 

-------------

Posted By: Why Carbines?
Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 9:27pm
There's some collectors/shooters that need to recognize the fact that not every original or near original carbine goes for ridiculous money and they won't necessarily have an import mark, thin finish and stocks that look like they've been hit with a ball peen hammer to deal with either. As I've said before there is NO perfect carbine out there no matter what pedigree it carries. It's also worth noting that just like the buyers of the RTI carbines have a right to be happy with their purchases, other collectors who don't have warm and fuzzy feelings about them have the right to give their opinion and not instantly be labeled what amounts to elitist snobs or as I saw on the CMP site the term cork sniffer.

Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 10:36pm
There's a tendency within any hobbyist group for old timers to shoot down those entering or those who don't know as much. It's understandable (especially when simple questions get asked, or a flood of new products could potentially devalue their own possessions) but every one of us started as rookies at one point in time. 

What I notice, and what I hope some old-time collectors understand, is the issue of demographics. Most seem to be older ("boomers") and many of us joining the hobby are younger. Should the hobby and knowledge die out in a few years or carry on? Shouldn't our own sons or grandsons also be able to cherish the old carbine sitting in the gun cabinet, understanding what it is and how it was built? Who within our family (several generations ago) carried it in war?

I was reading about a house building company in Japan that had been making hand-crafted woodworking for over 1,000 years. Japanese houses are all wood. They are struggling to stay afloat and find a newer generation to carry on the business after a millennia because most young folks have no interest in old crafts or hobbies. That stuff is a tragedy. 

Carbines are getting harder to find and the memory of those within our families who carried it in WW2 and Korea (or even Vietnam) grows dimmer with each year. I don't care if mine came out of Ethiopia or a museum, I'm eager to learn about them and enioy them even if old-timers get their jimmies rustled over the word "sights" with an "s" at the end. 

Who cares what company sells it or what beef you have with them. They're great rifles and now have a fresh crop of newbies reading Ruth's book and other resources so they can pass on knowledge in the future. 

Date Posted: May 20 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Horrible_Aim Horrible_Aim wrote:

I'm eager to learn about them and enioy them even if old-timers get their jimmies rustled over the word "sights" with an "s" at the end.

Not really sure anyone really got their "jimmies rustled", I think he was correcting the terminology that you used, as it was technically incorrect by implying plural. Part of learning is learning to use the correct nomenclature of the parts.

Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

as I saw on the CMP site the term cork sniffer.

I kinda thought the "cork sniffing" post on the CMP Forum was funny, it made me laugh, but then again I laugh at a lot of posts over there. Smile

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 7:30am

There's a tendency within any hobbyist group for old timers to shoot down those entering or those who don't know as much. It's understandable (especially when simple questions get asked, or a flood of new products could potentially devalue their own possessions) but every one of us started as rookies at one point in time.

Nobody is picking on you. None of the Ethiopians have devalued the Carbines we already own. We know these things because we've been here for a while watching the trends. You make lots of incorrect assumptions about people you don't know as well as the history you don't know about these people. Many people here know more about Carbines than I do because I don't read the newletters.

Quote What I notice, and what I hope some old-time collectors understand, is the issue of demographics. Most seem to be older ("boomers") and many of us joining the hobby are younger. Should the hobby and knowledge die out in a few years or carry on? Shouldn't our own sons or grandsons also be able to cherish the old carbine sitting in the gun cabinet, understanding what it is and how it was built? Who within our family (several generations ago) carried it in war?

I believe you've taken it personally how someone else perceives the condition and pricing of the Ethiopian Carbines. And similarly you have not acknowledged the positives stated about them by some of those people. Me, for instance.

You speak fluent German just as the operator of RTI does. You lived in Germany just as he has. You've promoted the purchase of RTI Carbines just as the operator of RTI has. Coincidence? What is your relationship with anyone at IO/RTI? And if you deny any relationship, will you still be active after the Ethiopian Carbines are gone? Additionally, we've been here long enough to see new eager people come in to ask a bunch of questions to turn around and use against us when they try to sell us their stuff for a premium after milking info. Will you be around to help new people? To tell them it's a slide and not an op rod, or a bolt and not a carrier? I hope so. One of my traits or flaws is skepticism.

Quote I was reading about a house building company in Japan that had been making hand-crafted woodworking for over 1,000 years. Japanese houses are all wood. They are struggling to stay afloat and find a newer generation to carry on the business after a millennia because most young folks have no interest in old crafts or hobbies. That stuff is a tragedy.

It's the same with many crafts. Look at how terrible the musicianship of today is compared to period ending in 1980. In music all the young people think you do is sample what "old timers" did. Beer is one of the few crafts that is finally regaining lost abilities.

As for the Japanese, all diverse cultures are being dismantled in order to muddy them into one more controllable mass. You can trace the current trend straight to the outcome of WWII. For 40 years churches have told people to go to Africa to make themselves feel virtuous (self idolatry) while the African population is expected to be almost half the world's people by 2100. None of the churches want to go to help the disappearing Japanese people where they have a deeper, richer history and culture than the American people have. And we all know the Asians perform higher when academically tested. Harder to be impressed with yourself by helping people like the Japanese.

Quote Carbines are getting harder to find and the memory of those within our families who carried it in WW2 and Korea (or even Vietnam) grows dimmer with each year. I don't care if mine came out of Ethiopia or a museum, I'm eager to learn about them and enioy them even if old-timers get their jimmies rustled over the word "sights" with an "s" at the end.

I love the Carbine but not because of it's war history. In fact, I love it in despite it's war role. And I'm aware enough to understand that such is a minority opinion. It hasn't stopped my love for it, nor my advocating for it and the hobby.

Quote Who cares what company sells it or what beef you have with them. They're great rifles and now have a fresh crop of newbies reading Ruth's book and other resources so they can pass on knowledge in the future. 

Of course it matters who sells it. We have a seller we call STB. It matters. I hope you're genuinely interested in the Carbine after these are sold out. We'll see.

-------------

Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 8:44am
My comments are based on observations on a number of different sites and forums while doing research on my carbines (e.g. CMP forums, general rifle forums, some Facebook collector groups). Nothing taken personally. I'm very grateful for the wealth of information and differing opinions here. 

I'm obviously not Uli, related to him or his company, or some type of shill. Despite his sketchy IO AKs (basically hand grenades) I do hope to see European immigrants succeed in this country though when so much of it resembles the third world. Your comments on Japan, Africa, demographics, etc. are 100% spot on and we'd have a great conversation there. 

As for sticking around, I'll probably be divorced if I walk through the door with another carbine this year, but I do want to study .30 carbine terminal ballistics in detail and get a better appreciation of the rifle's practical capabilities. My state only allows straight-wall cartridges for hunting.

Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 8:55am
Beer Some haven't agreed as much with me, but the Ethiopians demonstrate a bit of interesting history, or reinforce it.

As for sticking around, I'll probably be divorced if I walk through the door with another carbine this year,

The trick is that they all look almost identical to the unknowing. When I've been asked by my wife, "Is that a new one?". I can honestly reply, "This one? No, it's not a new one." Because technically "new" would mean it was just made, right?

-------------

Posted By: Smokpole
Date Posted: May 21 2020 at 6:45pm
I took it with me to the show to sell, but nobody seemed to be interested in buying it! (just don't let her see how many you actually have. She can probably count!)

-------------
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member

Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 8:44am
I'm pretty sure she knows anyway, but it was funny to say it.

-------------

Posted By: David Milisock
Date Posted: May 22 2020 at 9:45am
Horrible_aim (I believe), I came to this site because first I'm a shooter that carried an M2 in M1A1 configuration for a short time when in the military. I have 2 carbines that I wanted to shoot and or modify but I did not want to disrespect any rare or collectable rifles. Thanks to the people here I'm confident that I have great rifles there are of no collector value.

As far as terminal performance goes a reply is difficult due to regional differences. In the United States there is a healthy reloading community and expanding bulletts for reloading are readily available, good quality expanding bulletts that will expand at 200 yards at 30 Carbine velocities are required for hunting in my opinion. 

Also that performance depends on the ability of the shooter to achieve proper shot placement and the confines of the shooting environment. In my area of the U.S. hunting deer may prohibit the hunter from entering other areas to pursue wounded game so a central nervous system or significant cardiovascular hits are desired. Many people use the 444 Marlin because of this.

With M1 Carbine sights I can easily make central nervous system hits on deer sized game at 100 yards and cardiovascular hits at 200 yards. If I have the room for them to run 100 yards or so after a cardiovascular hit then a Eastern U.S. whitetail 200 yard hunting experiance is ok for me. For me hunting for whitetail deer or smaller game within those parameters is within reasonable boundaries. 

As far as personal protection using the 30 Carbine there are many real world penetration tests on YouTube that demonstrate that the 30 Carbine  within 200 yards is as capable as the 5.56 NATO, M193, M855 and the M855A1 cartridges in the M4 or M16 rifles.

-------------
David Milisock

Date Posted: Jun 05 2020 at 10:36pm
Just received my 3rd carbine from RTI, another "early features" model.

Standard Products, Underwood barrel, IBM birch stock with no rebuild stamps that I could find (only SC-B in the sling well).

I noticed "14 A" stamped on the left side of the receiver under the wood line. Any idea what this is? Couldnt find any information. 

Posted By: 03manV
Date Posted: Jun 05 2020 at 10:52pm

Just received my 3rd carbine from RTI, another "early features" model.

Standard Products, Underwood barrel, IBM birch stock with no rebuild stamps that I could find (only SC-B in the sling well).

I noticed "14 A" stamped on the left side of the receiver under the wood line. Any idea what this is? Couldnt find any information. 

Standard Products have a number stamped in that location.
I'm not sure anyone knows for sure what it means, but they run from single digits to teens.

Someone may have more exact data from the carbine newsletters.

-------------
Don

Date Posted: Jun 06 2020 at 7:07am
Thanks 03manV. 

Here are some pics of my carbine right out of the box:  https://m.imgur.com/a/F9u6sDf" rel="nofollow - https://m.imgur.com/a/F9u6sDf

No cleaning yet, except the stock in the second to last picture. That birch really shines with some Murphy's.

The brown patches are dirt/gunk and not rust. Maybe goat s***, I was brave enough to try smelling but couldn't tell. 

Date Posted: Jun 06 2020 at 8:30am
Looks interesting, like most of the early featured ones. The rust is there. It builds under what looks like dirt.

-------------

Date Posted: Jun 06 2020 at 11:49am
Came right off, no rust. It had the consistency of peanut butter. Must have been cosmoline or oil covered in dirt.

Or goat s****, still haven't ruled that out... 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net