Forum Description: Share Your Carbine
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4238
Printed Date: Apr 19 2024 at 10:16am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: My carbine QHMC
Posted By: Smocki
Subject: My carbine QHMC
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 3:20pm
Weapon legally owned, holding a detention license.

this carbine arrived with its strap, its cover, a charger and two chargers IS.  the oiler is also IS.  I send you to discover the pictures and any positive or negative comments are welcome

Serial numbers: 4669xxx

Replies:
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 3:40pm

Posted By: W5USMC
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 3:43pm
Great looking carbine, would love to see what the other parts markings are (hammer, trigger housing ect..)
Your sling swivel should be turned around so that it lays flat against the stock.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 3:47pm

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 3:59pm

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 4:11pm

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 4:16pm

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 4:29pm

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 4:42pm

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 4:46pm

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 4:50pm
thank you for watching my photos.  thanks to W5usmc for his advice.  I hope the photos are not too big .... ???  not easy .....

Posted By: David Milisock
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 4:53pm
Is this a shooter for you?

-------------
David Milisock

Posted By: New2brass
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:01pm
is there a marking on the small lug on the bolt?

Any manufacturers name on the canvas case?

Need to see the dots on the larger end of butt plate

Thanks for sharing pictures, It is a very nice carbine!Big smile

-------------
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/club-assistance-saginaw-receivers_topic4716.html" rel="nofollow - Club Survey Saginaw Receivers

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:02pm
Good evening David, yes I shoot with.  Why ?

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:07pm
Smocki, your pictures are really good and as I stated earlier that is a great looking carbine.
Just curious where in France are you, I was actually born in France, at the 7373rd USAFE Hospital Chateauroux-Deols Air Station.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:08pm
@ news2brass, no there is no mark on the other tenon of the bolt.  it's normal to share.  it's your story

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:11pm
the cover is marked American Tent & Awning 1943

Posted By: jackp1028
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:17pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Very good pictures. My Quality Hardware carbine is my favorite shooter. Even with early parts it works well. Yours is a very fine example.

Do you know the history of your carbine?

-------------
JackP

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:18pm
@W5usmc, I know Chateauroux I did my military training in this base.  which was after the departure of usaf "the school of specialization of the equipment of the army" :-) I live in the north of France next to another old base LAON-COUVRON.  it's because of US air bases that our forests are filled with Raccoon :-)))

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:30pm
@ jackp1028, thanks.  Alas!  no, I do not know the history of this carbine.  I bought it from another shooter who was holding it from another one.  it would come from the French resistance ..... but that's a beautiful story ..... :-))))) impossible to verify.  which is certain, it was not reconditioned after the war by the Belgians of the FN

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Smocki Smocki wrote:

Good evening David, yes I shoot with.  Why ?
I ask because future discussions are different for a collector rifle then for a shooter. I only own shooters because I would not want to ruin a collector piece.

-------------
David Milisock

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:47pm
I understand David, but in France the status of collector does not exist!  it is a sports shooter or nothing, with a maximum of 12 weapons. (This includes handguns manufactured after 1900 or for semi-automatic rifles) But I will at best shoot 300 cartridges / year.  here a box of 30m1 carbine costs between 25 and 35 euros. How much are you at home?  I will preserve it.

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 5:49pm

it's because of US air bases that our forests are filled with Raccoon :-)))

Ha, I just read about this and I assure you that my family did not release any raccoons while my Dad was stationed in France.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

it's because of US air bases that our forests are filled with Raccoon :-)))

Ha, I just read about this and I assure you that my family did not release any raccoons while my Dad was stationed in France.

no problem, I love raccoons.  I find them nice, unfortunately we see them most often crushed on our roads :-(

Posted By: tenOCEE
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 7:59pm
I love that Carbine. It's a very honest one.

Posted By: Road Rat
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 9:47pm
I had the good fortune to spend a few years in your great country; back when the US Air Force maintained bases there.  Mine was the ammunition supply squadron located outside St. Mihiel.

-------------
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP

Posted By: painter777
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 11:28pm
Yes Very Nice Carbine.
I hope the Resistance put it to good use !!
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Cheers,
Charlie-Painter777

-------------
Living Free because of those that serve.....

Posted By: carbinecanuck
Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 1:11am
That is a fine piece of history you have there.

Thank you for sharing.

-------------
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON

Posted By: m1a1fan
Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 8:26am
Bonjour, des etats unis. Bienvenue sur le forum. Quelle belle carabine. Merci de partager ceci avec nous! Nous apprécions vraiment cela

Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 9:33am
In the U.S. 30 carbine commercial shooter ammo can be $20 for a box of 50 rounds to as low as $11.75 in 20 boxes of 50 rounds. 

The American ammo market has become quite diverse, surplus, military rejects (read cheap) with varied quality, middle prices with improved standards and top quality which in cost terms gets near $30 for a box of 50 for the carbine. Some of my custom magnums can be $57 for a box of 20 rounds, yes I reload.

We have no limits on quantity of guns or ammo but we do on class of ammo, (I'm no lawyer) but certain ammo is restricted to law enforcement and military. Guns are separated by class also but the governmental organization makes it complicated as there are Federal regulations as well as State regulations. 

In my State with permits suppressed and full auto firearms can legally be owned but the cost is very high. An M2 can cost near $40,000 with several thousand in permits.

For my carbine I use imported Prvi Partizan110 grain soft points for plinking, it functions perfectly even in the cold and I buy it in bulk. It shoots ok in terms of grouping but my reloads shoot much better, regularly 4" groups at 100 yards while the factory stuff will do 5" to 6" regularly and  4" groups once in a while. 

I have inventoried ammo and reloading supplies for my retirement, which was bought at a lower cost and it is a good idea with (I hope reduced work and income). With me, my son,  daughter, granddaughter and grandson shooting it gets eaten up quickly. 

It's excellent family time to talk and worth the investment.

-------------
David Milisock

Posted By: blackfish
Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Milisock Milisock wrote:

In my State with permits suppressed and full auto firearms can legally be owned but the cost is very high. An M2 can cost near $40,000 with several thousand in permits.

$40K? What state? I paid just over $4K for mine at auction less than 10 years ago.

NFA ownership in the US is weird. State laws can be prohibitive but the Federal government really relaxed NFA before our country elected the pussy grabbing Orange guy. ATF eliminated the local CLEO from the process, thus becoming "shall issue" rather than "may issue". At least we can have it.

While many curse and swear at steel-cased ammo, my M2 eats Tulammo at $10/box like candy. Almost cheap enough to make reloading of dubious value, unless you like 100 yard target shooting. Me? 25 to 30 yards is a much more "practical" range.

Posted By: GotSnlB28
Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 10:00am
Great looking Quality. Its good you can still own these rifles in France despite the legal hoops. If it was part of the Resistance... I don't think it resisted much.

Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 11:58am
at the request of News2brass, here is the other end of the buttplate

Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 12:05pm
@ David Milisock and Blackfish thank you for your clarification.

Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 12:05pm
That was 10 years ago. Was it a shooter or a collector? You might find a shooter in PA for between 15 to 20k + permit fees but a collector the sky's the limit. I don't do autos but I'm around them enough to know the prices have gone bonkers in the last decade.

-------------
David Milisock

Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 12:09pm
@road rat, I know saint mihiel in the Meuse, my paternal grandmother was born next door.  There was a big battle in 1918 there or the Americans are very much beaten

Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 12:34pm
Shooter definitely. Purchase was just the usual parts kit. It currently resides in an M1 carbine I also purchased from the CMP for $325. Yeah like 10 years ago. I haven't followed the market much at all but your posts make me think it might be time to sell

Date Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 1:12pm
Class 3 stuff really took a hike but I leave you with these words. A carbine will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no carbines! 😀

-------------
David Milisock

Date Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 5:46pm
hello,

finally we can say that this carbine is 100% authentic at the time.

Date Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 6:08pm
Quality Hardware is my favorite. Very cool company. Nice carbine. They worked on the Bomb to end all wars, in addition to the subject matter of this forum (if you consider that cool).

Date Posted: Sep 10 2019 at 6:57pm

hello,

finally we can say that this carbine is 100% authentic at the time.

buttplate is for QHMC

the PO B front sight stands out, but Prestole did make sights for QHMC PO Q. Possible it was mixed in a shipment.

It is an outstanding looking carbine!

Also, moving this post to Carbines of The Collector section where it is better suited.

-------------
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/club-assistance-saginaw-receivers_topic4716.html" rel="nofollow - Club Survey Saginaw Receivers

Date Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 2:29pm
thank you! 
 what can we say about the wrestling magazine marked SN and the handguard marked TN.  When I have time I will look at: sear, trigger, safety, firing pin and extractor.

Posted By: jackp1028
Date Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 2:45pm
The hand guard marked TN made for National Postal Meter may be correct. Records show 5000 transferred to QHMC in March, 1944.

The magazine release marked SN, also for National Postal Meter is not listed in the record of components transferred to QHMC. Perhaps others may know more.

-------------
JackP

Date Posted: Sep 27 2019 at 4:38pm
Good evening, I bought the tool to disassemble.  that's what I 

Date Posted: Sep 27 2019 at 4:45pm

Posted By: Charles
Date Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 9:45am
I am curious as to how the figures on the bottom of the recoil plate transferred to the stock. 

-------------
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Posted By: m1a1fan
Date Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 11:05am
@Charles - Me too! Ive seen it before, but have no idea how it works.

@OP - Great pics! The bolt tool is a life saver. Could we get a zoomed in picture of wood area where the recoil plate has left a mark on the wood? The mark would be reversed? Backwards? Thanks!

A chance to learn something new from someone in the know. 

Date Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

@Charles - Me too! Ive seen it before, but have no idea how it works.

I also have seen the reverse recoil plate marking imprinted on the stock, matter of fact I have it on my Q-RMC stock.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Sep 28 2019 at 11:40am
When the wood was machined the wood fibers had some compression. With the recoil plate installer there would be further compression. The wood fibers will move with humidity and cause the fibers to expand and contract and fill in the voids of the markings.
This is something that took many years of the recoil plate not being disturbed.
Another interesting picture would be the mating surfaces of the recoil plate and the receiver. If they were together for a very long time there can be a mirror image of wear patterns.

-------------

Posted By: HARLEY08
Date Posted: Apr 21 2020 at 6:12pm
Love your QHMC.
I have 2 ! is marked UNQUALITY.
How do I sell that gun here?
If you know please email me.
I also need a stock for my QHMC.
Dave
fxstbharley2008@yahoo.com

-------------
M1DB

Posted By: floydthecat
Date Posted: Apr 21 2020 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by HARLEY08 HARLEY08 wrote:

How do I sell that gun here?

Go the the Forum Home page and scroll down to the For Sale section. Start a new topic and post the details and pictures.

Posted By: Jamesicus
Date Posted: Apr 21 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

The hand guard marked TN made for National Postal Meter may be correct. Records show 5000 transferred to QHMC in March, 1944.

The magazine release marked SN, also for National Postal Meter is not listed in the record of components transferred to QHMC. Perhaps others may know more.
They could have been replaced by Ordnance/Field Maintenance personnel during in-service (especially combat) use.

Posted By: kar6666
Date Posted: May 24 2020 at 1:24pm
Nice photo layout. Thank you.

Posted By: hurrikane18
Date Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 12:03pm
Question regarding your sling swivel: I posted my almost original Quality Hardware carbine with an identical looking sling swivel and everyone said it looked like a commercial reproduction. Is it possible that Quality Hardware’s sling swivels just looked different? Because that makes two that I’ve seen like this on original (or mostly original) QHMC carbines. Nice looking carbine by the way.

Cheers,
Tyler

Date Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 4:34pm
 good evening hurrikane 18. I looked at your post on your QHMC rifle.  your suspender swivel is a reproduction.  With experience, we recognize it straight away.  because the stamping is not the same, paying attention we observe a rounding on the edge of the cutout for the ww2 versions.  reproductions have sharp edges almost cutting.  also the inner rectangle is smaller in the reproductions, which leaves more material between the angles of the rectangle and the outer rounding of the loop.  this piece is not easy to find in original, at least, here in Europe.  I also don't know if there are manufacturer-to-manufacturer loop variants.

Posted By: hurrikane18
Date Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 4:38pm
Okay thanks, I can sort of see what you’re referring to. I have no doubt you guys know what you’re talking about and trust the information. I’ve just been noticing the really rounded sling swivels lately and noticed that yours is more flat. Curious where the difference came from. Cheers!

Posted By: bzh362
Date Posted: Dec 13 2020 at 4:28pm
Tres belle arme! Je vous en felicites! Je suis jaloux que tu ai pu obtenir les accessoires aussi. Je viens just d'aquerir ma premier carabine de collection qui est QHMC aussi. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net