Print Page | Close Window

pulling out what little hair I have left.

Printed From: The Carbine Collector's Club
Category: The Club
Forum Name: Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
Forum Description: What to Check, Reloading, Tips for Accuracy, Competitive/Recreational Shooting
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4213
Printed Date: Mar 18 2024 at 9:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: pulling out what little hair I have left.
Posted By: oldfart69
Subject: pulling out what little hair I have left.
Date Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 8:55pm
Just received  two new 15 round mags from auto ordnance to accompany my 10 round mags from another mfg. I also have a 20  (?30) mag that came with my plainfield carbine. It has been gone through fully including new extractor ejector, springs etc. I get a real high number of failure to feed, failure to extract. and now the new mags previously unused. are almost impossible to place and lock in the action.. This occurs with remington , winchester, and Aquila factory loads and my reloads too. What could I have missed in all of this? All I want is a rifle that cycles reliably. Please, any and all suggestions welcome. 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Replies:
Posted By: David Milisock
Date Posted: Aug 21 2019 at 11:08pm
One, how well do the lock up? There should not be much wiggle, if there is I have no real solution. Two, I had a similar issue and when looking at the faulty mag held directly side by side from the front view feed ramp edge of a mag that worked I noticed a slight difference in the curl of one of the feed lips. A pair of needle nose pliers and a few seconds fixed it.

BE GENTLE!

-------------
David Milisock

Posted By: floydthecat
Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 5:18am
Are all these commercial type magazines? Some commercials are known to be problematic. There can also be slight tolerance differences between commercial housings and GI housings. Make sure you have a good GI mag or one of the recent Korean mags., which are known to be reliable. 

As I recall, this was a recent acquisition? Maybe it never did feed properly? If the mags won’t even insert and lock in place properly, it never will feed properly. If the lips interfere with bolt travel, it’s never going to be reliable.

Posted By: tenOCEE
Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 7:26am
And are the springs USGI or Wolf? Start with USGI mags.

Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 8:45am
By the way.... you are not an oldfart yet. When you reach my age, you may be an oldfart😁.

I know you would like simple answers, but sometimes you can’t find that in a problem gun. I have one carbine that will misfire and deliver light primer strikes when a stock GI hammer spring is installed. It runs like a champ with a weakened hammer spring. It took me a LONG time to figure that one out. Guns that have issues can be trial-and-error head-scratchers. I don’t have much hair anymore either.

Posted By: W5USMC
Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 11:27am
Is this the same Plainfield carbine that has the "hump" in the middle of the feed ramp?

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Is this the same Plainfield carbine that has the "hump" in the middle of the feed ramp?

I called myself going back to look for the thread concerning one that had a cracked TH and a warped bolt. I don’t think this is the same gun, but oldfart can straighten us out on that. I think this was a recent purchase?

Posted By: painter777
Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 1:06pm
I read some where about replacement mags that had issues with the nubbies on the back.
They were too low..... Or too high (?)
Or were too close..... or too far apart.
No Help.... But I did read it some where.

Double check that the little Extractor plunger is squared away resting on the Extractor.

A picture of the front of your assembled bolt and a picture of the feed ramp may help.
These guys will get you going.

Good Luck,
CH-P777

-------------
Living Free because of those that serve.....

Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 2:13pm
it is, but I have compared it to others at my range and the hump is present in all of them,  thanks!

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 4:00pm
Now I remember. That ramp reminded me of an M4 AR feed ramp. I have an IJ and a gen-1 Universal on hand. Neither has a dual feed ramp. I hate to grind on good guns, but if all else fails... that may be something to look at. Some GI carbine ramps were highly polished as I recall.

Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by oldfart69 oldfart69 wrote:

it is, but I have compared it to others at my range and the hump is present in all of them,  thanks!

Maybe the same gun smith in your area is screwing up more than one carbine.

Here's the thing, of my 13 carbines (granted all usgi) none have a "hump" like that in the center of the feed ramp. Below is a picture of your feed ramp as well as another Plainfield feed ramp taken from the Plainfield section off of the main site for comparison. My thought is, in order to get a ridge "hump" in the center as predominate as there is on your feed ramp, then there has been considerable polishing (grinding) away of original metal. Possibly resulting in way too much of the original ramp removed, what is left of your feed ramp is no longer guiding the bullet into the chamber like it should.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 10:31pm
Wayne,
If you look just above your circle,
Do you see what looks like dings and dents on the bottom rim face of the chamber?
Looks like the bullet tips could or are often hitting there.

I'd still like to see the front bottom of his bolt to see the condition of the lead in ramp/bump.

CH-P777

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 22 2019 at 11:19pm
Charlie, I do see what your talking about and it sure looks like dents in the picture, oldfart will have to confirm whether it actually is dinged up.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 12:55pm
So, is this repairable or should I just make it a wall hanger? 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 2:55pm
Olefart69,
Can you manually cycled rounds in and out of it without interruption?

I've seen heavily used M2 receivers where the feed ramp has developed a groove on either side something like this-
.......... /\........ but don't ever recall a ridge like seen on yours.
I don't know if there is enough of a ramp left on yours to allow for more polishing to correct a feed problem. But before scrapping a receiver I'd have to attempt it.
Only after everything else has been checked out and ruled good to go.
Polished/grinding as a last resort kind of thing.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 3:15pm
These don't have extreme wear. But maybe you can see enough to see what I mean.

HTH,
CH-P777

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Olefart69,
Can you manually cycled rounds in and out of it without interruption?

I've seen heavily used M2 receivers where the feed ramp has developed a groove on either side something like this-
.......... /\........ but don't ever recall a ridge like seen on yours.
I don't know if there is enough of a ramp left on yours to allow for more polishing to correct a feed problem. But before scrapping a receiver I'd have to attempt it.
Only after everything else has been checked out and ruled good to go.
Polished/grinding as a last resort kind of thing.

is the feed ramp part of the receiver or barrel? Just trying to learn here. if this goes on so it bothers the admins just let me know, thanks

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 8:26pm
yes, I can manually cycle live rounds just fine. i guess being as I am a little slow due to the ravages of oldness, it gives it enough time. 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 8:47pm

is the feed ramp part of the receiver or barrel? Just trying to learn here.

The feed ramp is part of the receiver. One thing, I know that you have mentioned trying a number of different magazines but I do not recall if any have been USGI mags, as mentioned by other members USGI magazines are the way to go. I personally think that your receiver's over ground feed ramp is the problem but USGI mags are not very expensive and may be worth a try.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 8:50pm
so here is the unedited picture of the area in question. I am not sure but this could just be the area I used a dental scaler on to try and make use there was no crud in the receiver. 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Posted By: blackfish
Date Posted: Aug 23 2019 at 8:56pm
OK I'll take SPRINGS for $0.02 since I don't think that M2 receiver steel could have been worn down like that by a much softer material like copper even after thousands of rounds. But since I don't have my drawings with me, I can't really be sure. But since hand cycling "works" and "live" cycling doesnt ...

When was the last time you checked your magazine spring(s)?

There's a right way and a wrong way to install them. Needless to say, the wrong orientation will function very poorly.

How is your magazine spring oriented inside the magazine? You can't just stuff it in and close the end.

SIDE VIEW OF SPRING (breech is on the left and muzzle on the right)

\
/
\
/

The "arrowheads" point in direction of bullet travel when correctly installed

If this is not revealing, get a known-to-be-good USGI mag (lots have been wrecked by end-user "tweaking" so BORROW one your eyes and ears tell you is functional at your range). See if that helps.

Posted By: Bubba-7
Date Posted: Aug 24 2019 at 6:25pm
After all you have done, I would check the gas nut to see if it is the late style.  While it is out, I would size the gas port and be sure it is at least 0.070" dia.  Then clean it.

Date Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 11:59am
I'm posting a few images of my feed ramps and then one of a magazine comparison. It's fairly clear to me that the feed ramp on my Inland has been polished at one time. The darker feed ramp is from my Quality Hardware Carbine, both feed flawlessly.

The only cycling issues I have had in the past were due to improper cold weather preparation methods and or underperforming ammunition.

After resolving these issues the only other cycling issues I have had have been due to the unfortunate aspect of purchasing improperly manufacture or stored magazines.

-------------
David Milisock

Date Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 12:18pm
Ok here are the mag pictures, both mags as you see them pictured work in both carbines flawlessly. The magazine on the right as you can see has a vastly different right ear (that's right as you see them) I'm posting a second image with a red line accenting the ear angles. I am of the opinion that I would make sure that the ammo is viable, then look at the magazines ears, the springs, not just the magazine springs but the recoil spring, check the gas port and piston and clean the rifle very well removing grease and oil for testing.

-------------
David Milisock

Date Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 2:55pm

is the feed ramp part of the receiver or barrel? Just trying to learn here.

The feed ramp is part of the receiver. One thing, I know that you have mentioned trying a number of different magazines but I do not recall if any have been USGI mags, as mentioned by other members USGI magazines are the way to go. I personally think that your receiver's over ground feed ramp is the problem but USGI mags are not very expensive and may be worth a try.

I will try to find some, so, what are good sources? 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 3:13pm
Part of the receiver

-------------
David Milisock

Date Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 3:15pm
The magazine I show on the right had to have the right ear opened up just a tiny bit. I show it already repaired, but before it was repaired it failed in both my rifles. BTW I never slam a magazine home when placing it in the rifle.

-------------
David Milisock

Date Posted: Aug 25 2019 at 3:51pm

I will try to find some, so, what are good sources? 

Seller 81mm on gunbroker usually has some USGI mags for sale, also J&G sales has some that are new old stock with a choice of Mfg.

https://www.jgsales.com/m1-carbine-15rd-surplus-magazine,-original-usgi,-nice-blued-condition,-with-choice-of-mfg-available.-p-402.html?osCsid=f3c8e944f4eec07fdf32c0606c45b68c" rel="nofollow - https://www.jgsales.com/m1-carbine-15rd-surplus-magazine,-original-usgi,-nice-blued-condition,-with-choice-of-mfg-available.-p-402.html?osCsid=f3c8e944f4eec07fdf32c0606c45b68c

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Aug 26 2019 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Bubba-7 Bubba-7 wrote:

After all you have done, I would check the gas nut to see if it is the late style.  While it is out, I would size the gas port and be sure it is at least 0.070" dia.  Then clean it.

OK, thanks. 1. This is an m1 not an m2, it is a plainfield commercial type made somewhere between 1963 and 1976. 2. 4 of the 5 mags I have are nib 2 are 10 round and 2 are 15 rounds the 15's are auto-ordnance, the 10's are unknown but new. I have one 20 round that came with with rifle of unknown age and use (it has the hold open follower). 3 I am including a new photo I just found of a different plainfield than mine it was found on either this site or a sister forum. Virtually, it is identical to mine except for the shine. Wednesday, my friend who has a steering gear ww2 m1 will allow me to use his trigger group in my rifle just to eliminate another part  group. hoping soon I can quit pestering all of you good guys, I am also asking my friend to bring his Us army tech guide which has detailed measurements. sigh. 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Aug 31 2019 at 10:59am
Over the course of the past few days, I have had the opportunity to gut a 41xxx Plainfield and a 5.5 Winnie. The Winnie is a mix-master and I cant’t swear it was never in M2 dress. However, the feed ramp in both receivers closely resemble the one here in question. I think it is highly likely that oldfart’s has been polished though....severely.

Plainfield barrels are skirtless and maybe the ramps were machined this way to improve feeding.....maybe. In any event, based in what I see and what OP says he saw at the range, this could obviously be the norm for Plainfield. This Plainfield I have here in my hands has never been disassembled.

I need to add that after a tune-up and cleaning, both these guns run flawlessly with any magazine I shove in.

Posted By: David Albert
Date Posted: Aug 31 2019 at 9:57pm
Definitely try some USGI magazines. 90% of the time, problems like you mention are the result of magazine issues. If Kahr/AO Carbine magazines are anything like most Kahr/AO Thompson drums, I would eliminate them as a factor while troubleshooting your Carbine issues.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: Sep 03 2019 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Over the course of the past few days, I have had the opportunity to gut a 41xxx Plainfield and a 5.5 Winnie. The Winnie is a mix-master and I cant’t swear it was never in M2 dress. However, the feed ramp in both receivers closely resemble the one here in question. I think it is highly likely that oldfart’s has been polished though....severely.

Plainfield barrels are skirtless and maybe the ramps were machined this way to improve feeding.....maybe. In any event, based in what I see and what OP says he saw at the range, this could obviously be the norm for Plainfield. This Plainfield I have here in my hands has never been disassembled.

I need to add that after a tune-up and cleaning, both these guns run flawlessly with any magazine I shove in.

I have tried my friends usgi mags and they act the same as my new ones. What does a tuneup consist of? When I got it, I replaced the recoil spring and guide, the ejector and extractor, the forog pin and all assorted parts. I cleaned the bolt in an ultrasonic cleaner with simple green. I lubed per the us army tech manual. All parts move smoothly and look appropriate. I can cycle rounds without firing and they all load and eject properly that way, but not when shot. I have fired new factory loads from remington, winchester and aquila ,  I have also fired my own hand loads using once fired brass from this firearm excluding any that did not cycle properly. I also put my friends entire lower trigger group in my rifle and shot with it as well with marrginally (maybe my imagination) better. That is all the news this afternoon. 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Sep 03 2019 at 10:34pm

I also put my friends entire lower trigger group in my rifle and shot with it as well with marrginally (maybe my imagination) better.

This is the way to troubleshoot your issue(s).

Start with your barrelled receiver. Then assemble *all* of your friends parts onto it. You know his/her's works right? Does your's now work?

If the problem is not "fixed", it lies with your barrelled receiver to wit check your barrel alignment to the receiver.

If function is significantly better then you can start putting your parts back into the mix, one part at a time until badness reappears.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2019 at 3:45pm
Found my early Plainfield picture of the feed ramp. This was made in 1964ish.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2019 at 3:53pm
I think all of us have pretty much demonstrated the Plainfield ramps were finished in this manner. I also think we can agree that OP’s has been polished...severely. Probably done because it may have had feeding issues from the get-go. Plainfield barrels are not skirted... maybe that aggravates things, but I have two un-skirted barrels in guns that function just fine. I have read where it could have been an issue. If the bolt does not properly seat it could cause extraction issues. *all* means change the bolt also.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I think all of us have pretty much demonstrated the Plainfield ramps were finished in this manner.

But what about this picture, it does not look like it was finished the same way. Is it possible that Plainfield used "soft metal" for their receivers that actually wore down after many rounds down range?

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Sep 04 2019 at 5:22pm
Mistakes are made as soon as one states that something has been proven and accepted when it comes to things such as the Carbine, doesn't it?. I still learn such in my own experience. Patterns can be interpreted along a common time line and perhaps that's good enough. Look at the Universal discussion where it was suggested that after a certain serial that there should be no defects that like what were shown in two examples in a tight serial range where they weren't thought to exist.

On the Plainfield example I posted you can see what appears to be a cursory shaping with (what I'm assuming is) a rotary tool. It doesn't show finely polished metal, but that barrel swallowed a muzzle gauge completely to the hilt, so it was shot to death. "Shot out" in it's definition. But it functioned flawlessly if the magazine was true.

The ramps are something I'll be looking at when I see them locally at shows, along with looking for cracked Universal top rails in the 400,000 serial range-in all ranges actually.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2019 at 9:29pm
I agree with all the input. Ramp is one of the roughest most distorted I've ever seen.
But.... with him being able to hand cycle with NO issues. I'd follow up on the advice from Roger M and make sure the Gas Cylinder is clear. If restricted it could be killing the energy the carbine relies on 'After the shot'.
Easy enough to check.

Good Luck,
Charlie-P777

ADD: Also look for Burrs on the inside rails the bolt lugs track on.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 05 2019 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

I agree with all the input. Ramp is one of the roughest most distorted I've ever seen.
But.... with him being able to hand cycle with NO issues. I'd follow up on the advice from Roger M and make sure the Gas Cylinder is clear. If restricted it could be killing the energy the carbine relies on 'After the shot'.
Easy enough to check.

Good Luck,
Charlie-P777

ADD: Also look for Burrs on the inside rails the bolt lugs track on.
Where can I find some instructions on how to clear it? Youtube? somewhere else. thanks a million pk

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Sep 05 2019 at 7:56pm

Where can I find some instructions on how to clear it? Youtube? somewhere else. thanks a million pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99HPXZMmrc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99HPXZMmrc

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Sep 05 2019 at 11:30pm
Wayne Thx for putting up the link.
If piston is stuck, which I don't believe is the case here.
I don't understand why more don't mention using a strong magnet on it After it has been soaked in the cleaning solvent of your choice. I use Ole Hoppes #9 it does a good job for me.
In the video I wish he would have shown cleaning the inside, to include twisting a drill bit with your fingers to clear the gas port hole.

Oldfart69,
You really just need the nut wrench. Unless you have rough inner threads.
You might have someone near by to borrow one from, plenty of Carbine guys in Wash State.
But use the Gas Nut Wrench..... DO NOT TRY PLIERS... ETC.

Link to listings on Ebay for a Wrench:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=m1+carbine+gas+piston+wrench&_sacat=0" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=m1+carbine+gas+piston+wrench&_sacat=0

Keep us informed,
Charlie-Painter777

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 7:28am
Rob doesn't post on Carbine sites anymore does he?

Posted By: New2brass
Date Posted: Sep 06 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Rob doesn't post on Carbine sites anymore does he?

I was with Rob the other night. Does not get online much but still does shows and has carbine and garand stuff.

-------------
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/club-assistance-saginaw-receivers_topic4716.html" rel="nofollow - Club Survey Saginaw Receivers

Date Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 10:08pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99HPXZMmrc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k99HPXZMmrc

THANKS!

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Bubba-7 Bubba-7 wrote:

All of the magazines are new manufacture except the 30 round (?20 round) that came with it. 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Sep 11 2019 at 10:16pm
new news today, by buddy notices that my m1carb does not "throw the empties" anywhere near as far as his does .

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Sep 23 2019 at 7:10pm
I am putting my friends bolt in my carbine and testing again on Thrusday, one more item to rule in or out.

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Sep 23 2019 at 8:58pm
Start with your barrelled action ONLY and put your friend's parts on. You'll never find your problem unless you start from the basics. Swapping a good part into a mix of bad parts won't tell you anything. Unless you get lucky. But that's why Gawd gave you smarts.

Date Posted: Sep 27 2019 at 7:08pm
Report from yesterday: Good news! The bolt did the job. Ordered a new flat top from old stock today and it will be here Monday. I also tried tuning the mags while waiting for the bolt. Don't know if I did a good job on them as some youtubes say loop forward some say backwards. We will find out next week. have a good weekend you guys and thanks once again. 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Sep 27 2019 at 7:37pm
The only time I have ever had a mag issue was self inflicted. I had one of my carbines out last week with my trusty RUGG. Darn thing started miss-feeding. Then I remembered I had dropped that mag on a ceramic tile floor last week. When I looked at it, the right front was slightly bent inward. I pulled it out, used it and it never faltered. 

Date Posted: Oct 20 2019 at 6:24pm
hopefully (fingers crossed), finally got my replacement bolt and verified new old stock mags. I installed the bolt loaded up the mags and went to the range. 100 rounds through it with not one ftl, ftf, or fte. Seems we have rounded the bend by the way I went with a an inland round bolt (they didn't have any flats), also, they are great to deal with . two thumbs up. And thanks again to all of you for your patient help. I am going to have bunches of fun with this firearm. 

-------------
THE oldfart69

Date Posted: Oct 20 2019 at 7:38pm
They replaced the flat with the round bolt for a reason. The rounds have a larger lip on the bottom face to better strip rounds from the mag and round bolts fit tighter in the receiver channel. I have a carbine that simply does not like a flat bolt, which works perfectly in another carbine. A round bolt affords better alignment. The flat bolts may be sexy, but the smart people that built the carbines invented the round bolt on purpose.

Posted By: RClark9595
Date Posted: Oct 21 2019 at 2:02pm
This is a great post, lot's to learn here. I had a similar problem with a late Universal it kept jamming no matter what mags I used. After replacing most everything available, it turned out the magazine well in the trigger housing was badly worn out, when I put in a mag it would wiggle all around including up and down. This was an aluminum housing in a very late Universal. I found another trigger housing group on eBay, won the bid and got it, this one was also aluminum but the mags fit real tight like they should, they didn't exhibit any wear, I think it was a much earlier trigger group better quality, even looked better. When Universal moved from Florida the quality went way down. Also I think the owner before me must have shot the gun the gun to death. When I got I had to clean the crap out of it including taking a rusted and frozen gas piston out, a real pain. I had to learn just like was done here, some things aren't black and white, or even the normal bad suspects.

-------------
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net