Forum Description: Vendor Feeback of vendors
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3394
Printed Date: Mar 18 2024 at 10:01pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Italian surplus M4 Bayonets
Posted By: W5USMC
Subject: Italian surplus M4 Bayonets
Date Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 3:15pm
Classic firearms deal of the week is Italian Surplus M4 bayonets if anyone is interested, $39.99 is a pretty good price I think.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/bayonet-m1-carbine-with-scabbard-italian" rel="nofollow - https://www.classicfirearms.com/bayonet-m1-carbine-with-scabbard-italian

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Replies:
Posted By: David Albert
Date Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 3:50pm
W5USMC,

Thank you for posting the link. I ordered two.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout

Posted By: sling00
Date Posted: Mar 28 2018 at 7:18pm
They look pretty good in their video.  I ordered one.  Thanks for the heads up.

Posted By: QHMC44
Date Posted: Mar 31 2018 at 8:49pm
Also ordered 2, as they look pretty clean, and appear to have minimal wear.  I don't know if I agree with the assertion that they are "highly collectible".   Thanks for the heads up.

Date Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 10:50pm
I received my two Italian M4 Bayonets today, so it was 8 days from order to receipt.

Both examples are A.E.T. manufactured, and dated 1950. One appears to be unissued, with a repainted scabbard, and the other was definitely used, and has some fairly minor rust that will probably go away with a good oiling. I like the worn bayonet better than the apparently unissued bayonet. I was kind of hoping that I'd get one example from each manufacturer, but it was luck of the draw.

Here are some photos for comparison:

Both bayonets are marked with "A.E.T., (crossed cannons), 1950" on the ricasso, and a serial number on the reverse. The guards are unmarked. They both have M8 style scabbards. Neither the Kiesling, nor Cole Bayonet books list this Italian M4 Bayonet, which surprised me. The Cole book covers U.S. Military knives, but I checked it because it sometimes lists foreign items associated with U.S. examples. However, the Janzen Bayonet book does list it, indicating it is a variation of the U.S. bayonet for the M1 Carbine, but was used on Beretta BM59 Rifles, as well as Beretta AR70 and SC70 Rifles. However, the date of 1950 on these bayonets precedes the rifles that Janzen mentions. The Kiesling book lists a different bayonet for the BM59, which was very much like an M7 Bayonet. So, I'm not sure the Janzen book is correct that these were used on BM59's, and their use on Carbines is not mentioned.

I hope this helps, if you're interested in acquiring any of these bayonets. I'd like to see what other folks here receive in their orders. I'm actually tempted to place another order...

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: Apr 05 2018 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by David Albert David Albert wrote:

I'd like to see what other folks here receive in their orders.

David,
I received one of the two that I ordered yesterday, it is AET 1959 marked and appears to be unissued. I expect the other one to be delivered tomorrow.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Apr 06 2018 at 6:03am
The one I ordered is AET 1957, appears to be unissued with a repainted scabbard. SN 51329. 

Posted By: richg072
Date Posted: Apr 06 2018 at 6:42am
I received mine yesterday.  AET 1956 stamped in un issued condition.  I'm new to bayonets but I think its a nice one for the $40.  I was thinking about placing an order for one more and request the FET model but I don't think they are hand picking.  I haven't heard anyone yet saying they got an FET actually.  Thanks W5USMC    for the heads up on this one! 
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=4885" rel="nofollow -
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=W5USMC" rel="nofollow -
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/search_form.asp?USR=W5USMC" rel="nofollow -
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/pm_buddy_list.asp?name=W5USMC" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: Apr 06 2018 at 6:08pm
Got my second bayonet today, appears unissued AET 1955. This one came with a modified USM8A1 VIZ scabbard. The 1st one I received was in an Italian copy of a M8 scabbard.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Apr 07 2018 at 11:19am
Received my 2 bayonets on 4/4, abouts 8 days after order.  Both are AET's one dated 1950 and the other 1956, and are in excellent, almost new shape, heavy grease on one, the other moderate.  Grip handle color varies slightly (1950 dated was lighter in color, appearing to be bakelite; the 1956 is darker, appearing to be brown plastic.  Both have the AET crossed cannons and serialized 56656 and 66702 respectively.  Scabbards are in lightly used condition, and as W5USMC points out are Italian copies of the US M8 (no M1910 belt hooks), and webbing is a tan khaki color.  Overall, worth the money.  I will post pics when I get a chance.  I did receive an e-mail from CF indicating the $39.95 price will be extended through this weekend 4/8.

Posted By: Road Rat
Date Posted: Apr 07 2018 at 8:44pm
Just for the record:  I ordered one to use as a display.  It has the AET and crossed cannons dated 1957.  Number on the other side is 44058.  It has never been sharpened and looks to have never been used.

-------------
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP

Date Posted: Apr 07 2018 at 9:28pm
Almost forgot to mention, that the blades on these don't appear to have ever been sharpened.  Here are the pics I didn't get a chance to post last time: < ="text/">p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

Date Posted: Apr 08 2018 at 8:31am
I liked the one I got I just ordered one more............

-------------
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP

Date Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 8:04pm
After I saw the serial numbers reported here for other AET manufactured bayonets, it made me question whether I had read the year of manufacture correctly on my bayonets. I had not. The font is kind of tricky...At closer examination, both my bayonets are dated 1960. Serial numbers are 130129 and 137368.

Has anyone received an FET manufactured bayonet yet?

BTW, I just ordered 2 more...They are still $39.99 right now...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Posted By: DonFromTexas
Date Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 1:36pm
Still available, I just ordered one, will show it off when it gets here.  I only had the bakelite handled one.

-------------
Retired US Army Officer

Posted By: jackp1028
Date Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 1:55pm
Ordered one. AET 1959 SN 115430 Ordered 4/6, received 4/10. Brown plastic handles, bayonet appears unused, scabbard repainted with rusty snaps and buckle tips, dirty webbing. Still a good deal.

-------------
JackP

Date Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 7:43pm
Here is the data that has been presented here so far. Some of the serial numbers are not sequentially logical, but that may be a valid factor. I'd be interested to have everyone take a close look at the date again on their bayonet to double check it, like I did, as the font for the 6 looks like a 5 from different angles.

If anyone would like additional data noted, to fill in the spaces, please post your info.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 8:15pm
David, here are the serial #'s to the 2 bayonets I have received: 1955 is 22193, the 1959 is 123875. Expecting another one to be delivered in the next couple of days. Also here is a picture of the actual M8A1 scabbard I received with the 1955 bayonet.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 8:50pm
W5USMC,

Looks like you scored on the 1955 dated bayonet and scabbard. Thanks for the additional info. I'll continue to record the data, and post a new spreadsheet once we have a few more. I ordered 2 more last night, but they have not shipped yet. I am looking forward to someone getting an F.E.T. marked bayonet in their shipment, as well as determining more about the date ranges of these Italian bayonets.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 10:00pm
I also re-upped for 2 more.  :o

Date Posted: Apr 11 2018 at 2:18pm
The second one arrived in the post today.  Also an AET with crossed cannons dated 1958. Serial #75322.  Still in cosmoline.........

-------------
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP

Date Posted: Apr 11 2018 at 6:44pm
My 3rd bayonet arrived today, another AET, 1960 serial # 163605. This bayonet is in decent shape but has been used, has a spot on the top of the blade that looks like it was arced (electrical) out on something, exactly like marks on many of the knives I carried in my time in the Marine Corps that I often used to bypass a faulty starter button by crossing connections directly at the starter.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Apr 11 2018 at 8:00pm
Here is an update to the list:

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: Apr 11 2018 at 8:12pm
Dave I like your idea. I’m going to list my serial in the am when I can get to it.   But condition I would say appears unissued. The scabbard I will need help with as I’m new to bayonets.

Date Posted: Apr 12 2018 at 6:36am
serial number 34826   scabbard I'mguessing is a copy like everyone else.  Some one scratched into the top either OER or DER? 

Date Posted: Apr 12 2018 at 5:20pm
Second one just came. AET 1959 serial 127068. Looks unissued covered in cosmoline but has some scratches I think from pulling out of scabbard. I think I lucked out on the scabbard and think it’s a real m8 but let me know if not. Has 43 stamp on back and usm81a/ v.p. co on front. I am trying pictures but they are too big

Date Posted: Apr 12 2018 at 6:45pm
Just in case you didn't have this, here's a link to Gary Cunningham's Bayonet Points #7 for Post WWII scabbards.  About 1/4 way down the page you should see the M8A1 scabbard by Victory Plastics.  At the bottom of the page you can go Back to Bayonet Points Index for just about all you every wanted to know about bayonets.  I bought his CD a couple years back.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_7.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_7.htm

Date Posted: Apr 12 2018 at 7:57pm
I forgot about the Cunningham books until they were mentioned here. They were on another bookshelf. Much information on M4 Bayonets and M8/M8A1 Scabbards was added between his 1996 and his 2015 book. He does have a section on foreign copies, but does not cover these Italian bayonets.

Latest Update:

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Posted By: James K
Date Posted: Apr 13 2018 at 12:05pm
I have a U.S. M8 scabbard by BM Co  fibre glass sheath, extended strap with wire hook if this be consistent with M1 Carbine. This came with my Inland Carbine with not a Bayonet, but a U.S. M3 kinfolksinc fighting knife which leather handle rotted away. I will keep the M3 with .050" wear on cutting edge if someone in need of a M8 sheath, PM me.

Date Posted: Apr 20 2018 at 7:02am
Looks like Midway has joined in. Can select "grade".

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019930521/military-surplus-italian-m1-carbine-bayonet-with-scabbard" rel="nofollow - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019930521/military-surplus-italian-m1-carbine-bayonet-with-scabbard

Date Posted: Apr 20 2018 at 12:52pm
I have had good luck with Midway. I had purchased three bayonets for the Swiss K31's. They ended production in 1958 and were new as unissued condition. Larry Potterfield flew B-52's in Vietnam.
"What is your flash to bang time?"
Previously I mentioned in forum that I have a M8 scabbard who ever wants it. No takers yet, just waiting for someone to e-mail me at whizwagon@yahoo.com as I need an address to send postage free and Item free also. First come first serve

Date Posted: Apr 20 2018 at 1:10pm
I ordered my second one through Midway. I like the opportunity of getting a "Select" bayonet. The one I got from CF had a pretty ratty scabbard so we'll see what a "Select Grade 1" gets you from Midway. Shipping was a little more, but still a good deal.

-------------
JackP

Date Posted: Apr 20 2018 at 2:18pm
I noticed shipping was more for one but was cheaper than CF for 2.I went with two of 'em and since shipping was covered up to some magical amount I added on a pack of foam swabs for cleaning and especially greasing rails. Q-tips might be good for babie's ears but makes a mess in rails and cam cutouts.

Posted By: DonFromTexas
Date Posted: Apr 20 2018 at 4:23pm
I got mine today, bayonet is well used but fair condition, sn 71128, 1958 year, crossed cannons, A E T maker.  Scabbard may be new, no numbers or names on it

-------------
Retired US Army Officer

Date Posted: Apr 20 2018 at 8:58pm
M8 scabbard spoken for and be in the post office Monday morn.

Date Posted: Apr 21 2018 at 10:27am
Received my second order of 2 from CF (Midway USA, is also in on the act now, 3 selectable grades 29.95-39.95).  Anyway, same overall appering un-issued condition, all are AET, all came in Italian copy M8 scabbards, also appearing to be un-issued.  Serial & dates as follows for all 4.  As mentioned dates are hard to read on some, used a printers glass to double check, and found one error listed below.
First order of 2 (CF) - These were well greased
AET - 1958 - 56656 (originally thought this one was dated 1950, due to the grease).
AET - 1958 - 66702
Second order of 2 (CF) - These had little to no grease
AET - 1957 - 45483
AET - 1958 - 62911
Hope this helps.

Posted By: arthur
Date Posted: Apr 21 2018 at 6:49pm
I received mine today from Classic....  A.E.T.  -  crossed cannons  - 1960    Wood grip     169700    WELL used like for bayonet training. Unmarked M8 type scabbard,used but nice. Will make a nice addition to my Italian 6.9 million Inland from CMP ten years ago. Did Italy get enough carbines to warrant that many bayonets?

Date Posted: Apr 21 2018 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by arthur arthur wrote:

Did Italy get enough carbines to warrant that many bayonets?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/carbinesnara.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/carbinesnara.html
~146,863  

Date Posted: Apr 21 2018 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by arthur arthur wrote:

I received mine today from Classic....  A.E.T.  -  crossed cannons  - 1960    Wood grip

Wood grip? That is interesting. Can you post some pics?

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Apr 21 2018 at 7:43pm
Go to classic arms bayonet link and look at the customer pictures pictures at the bottom of page click on the top left picture and scroll through them. There are a few pictures of wood grips.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/bayonet-m1-carbine-with-scabbard-italian" rel="nofollow - https://www.classicfirearms.com/bayonet-m1-carbine-with-scabbard-italian

Date Posted: Apr 26 2018 at 11:38am
Got 2 from Midway - Grade 1.
Both are AET. 1 is 1959, SN 104448, appears unissued with a repainted scabbard.  The other is 1955, SN 29666, appears unissued with a USM8A1 - PWH scabbard.

Date Posted: Apr 26 2018 at 5:40pm
I just received my second Italian bayonet, this time from Midway, ordered April 20 (6 days). It's a select Grade 1 and is a pristine un-issued A.E.T., serial number 116513, dated 1959 with a slightly used repainted scabbard.   

-------------
JackP

Date Posted: Apr 26 2018 at 7:30pm
I was away on a trip to FL for 6 days, and my second CF order came in while I was gone.

I received 2 more bayonets, as follows:

A.E.T.     1956     33996     M8 Copy, Unissued     Excellent condition, still in cosmoline     

A.E.T.     1957     46131     M8 Copy, Used     Well used condition, edge has dents from hitting metal     

The data is much clearer now. We've moved forward by 5 years of production, as two of us (myself included) initially misread some year markings. So, these did not begin in 1950, but probably 1955, and the serial number data now correlates by year.

Here is the latest update:

Thank you very much for your data.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 8:29pm
Has anyone received an F.E.T. manufactured Italian bayonet? I'm thinking they are probably a misread of an A.E.T. marking at this point.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 9:25pm
I agree that A.E.T was probably misread as F.E.T. CF's description initially mentions "AET Manufacture" only. It's only later in the description that they add FET. Midway's description only says "Made in Italy" and their picture shows only the AET marking. Other forums discussing the subject sales by CF and Midway mentioned only A.E.T.

-------------
JackP

Date Posted: May 10 2018 at 10:06pm
There was a mention on the CMP forum of an AEP bayonet but I bet that was misread as well. A couple of individuals there requested FET markings but received AET instead.

-------------
JackP

Posted By: New2brass
Date Posted: May 11 2018 at 9:36am
A.E.T. is Arsenale Esercito Torino which is the Turin Army Arsenal.

From my notes when collecting Mannlichers, I had a very hard time finding the fabricators, armories etc in Italy.  And if I butchered the translations I apologize in advance as I have to use google to translate.

Fabbrica d'Armi Di Terni which is Firearms Manufacturing of Terni, made Carcano bayonets. But I suspect if they made them the mark would be F.M.T. or as we carbine guys know from stocks F.A.T.

Fabbrica National d'Armi Brescia =National Arms Factory in Brescia

Fabbrica d,Armi Pietro Beretta  in Gardone, uncertain if there is a separate Gardone Arms Factory

There is a bayonet for the BM59 made by A.E.T. some were reported as A.E.P. This is similar in construction to the ones offered for sale in this thread. the ring was bigger to fit the BM59. Think these will also fit the AR15

The BM59 was a derivative of the M1 Garand which had a removable magazine. 
There are Italian made Garand bayonets with the marking AEP over a number in an oval. But these look like traditional M5 bayonets grips with larger ring then the M4.
These are believed to be Arsenale Regio Esercito di Piacenza = Arsenal of Piacenza City

Bit off topic but if anyone knows any other Italian Arsenals please let me know.

Back on topic, What I would be interested in is if the logo changed over the years on the A.E.T. Bayonets. Might help with those reported with no date as being a different manufacturer 

-------------
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/club-assistance-saginaw-receivers_topic4716.html" rel="nofollow - Club Survey Saginaw Receivers

Date Posted: May 11 2018 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Might help with those reported with no date as being a different manufacturer

New2brass,

Did I miss a report of an A.E.T. bayonet with no date in this thread, or was that information gathered elsewhere?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: May 11 2018 at 9:33pm
Probably on CMP. But i have seen threads in several places from several years ago.

I think these bayonets have been imported for about 10 years now.
Northridge and a few others have had them for about that long.

-------------
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/club-assistance-saginaw-receivers_topic4716.html" rel="nofollow - Club Survey Saginaw Receivers

Date Posted: May 12 2018 at 8:42am
Mentioned above was a M5 type BM 59 bayonet that had the AEP in oval

Here is an example of a AEP but is for the BM 59. Notice the guard has a larger hole.
Very conceivable that AEP made a M4 version

-------------

Posted By: LMTmonoMan
Date Posted: Aug 13 2018 at 10:53pm
Excellent work David, and thanks for taking the time to chart out the data. I also really appreciate the very informative replies from other members, and Dan's usual knowledge bombs that he drops in everybody's thread:)

I posted a review on the CMP forum about the Italian surplus AET 59 bayo/scabbard I received from Midway on Friday of last week for $29.99, however I'm just now discovering this thread so figured I might as well add another data point, and some pics.

Mine appears to be somewhere in between a grade 1 and grade 2 imho...as it's blade hasn't ever been sharpened, and only has slight superficial damage on the flat sides of the blade from being inserted in and out of a scabbard numerous times. The plastic grips, screws, nuts, guard, and locking mechanism/butt are all in NOS condition. It fits nicely on a carbine with a little play once fully locked in. The scabbard isn't a U.S. model, but rather the generic Italian copy that has already been discussed in this thread. It's got a rack number, and it's repainted finish has chipped away in a few small places.

The Make and Year are:   AET 1959.   
Purchased from MidwayUSA on 8/7/18.
Price was $29.99.
Serial number: 121052
Scabbard: Used M8 copy
Condition: Excellent condition, only superficial blade marks with unsharpened blade, and heavily coated in cosmoline

Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase, and would recommend this product given it's quality and price.

Front side of the full bayonet and scabbard:

Back side of the full bayonet and scabbard:

Up close markings on front side of blade (AET 1959):

Up close marking on rear side of blade:

BROKEN DOWN PICS:

Front side of Bayonet broken down:

Back side of Bayonet broken down:

Marking at the bottom of the tang near butt beneath grips (MS5V...?):

Marking in the middle of the tang beneath grips ( AET59 in a box):

Up close of the locking mechanism:

Up close of one side's weld connecting the guard to the tang:

Posted By: floydthecat
Date Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 6:34am
A.E.T  1957  42730  USM8A1-PWH (metal tip)  floydthecat  Midway Grade-1 Excellent Shape

$29.99 plus shipping

Posted By: floydthecat
Date Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 9:52am
I have a question. My scabbard appears to have had a wire-loop that has been removed. The top of the loop is stitched as if it once had a hanger. Was this common practice for those carbine-gifted allies that did not use the loop?

Date Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Was this common practice for those carbine-gifted allies that did not use the loop?

Yes, I believe the Italians removed all the wire hangers from the USGI scabbards that they received.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Date Posted: Aug 24 2018 at 9:12am
I bought another bayonet after Midway dropped the price. This one is "A.E.T. 1955, 16234, plastic grip. In a unmarked sheath. Both look to be almost new. Very happy.

Date Posted: Aug 24 2018 at 7:00pm
Here's an update to the Italian M4 Bayonet spreadsheet. Thanks to all for providing the additional information.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Posted By: zenfly
Date Posted: Aug 25 2018 at 10:19am
I bought one of these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019930521/military-surplus-italian-m1-carbine-bayonet-with-scabbard-grade-1" rel="nofollow - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019930521/military-surplus-italian-m1-carbine-bayonet-with-scabbard-grade-1

-------------
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI

Posted By: watchdog49
Date Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 11:26am
Still available from Midway advertised at "CLEARANCE" price -- ordered one today.

Posted By: GotSnlB28
Date Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 9:05pm
I've ordered a few of these and here is what I got:
Classic F.:
AET 1959 s/n 118776, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
MidwayUSA Grade 1:
AET 1959 s/n 96242, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
AET 1960 s/n 127835, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
AET 1960 s/n 142241, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard

Out of my Midway orders, I had to return 2 grade 1's. One was well used and the bayonet guard weld had separated. The second bayonet was nice but the cloth on the scabbord was very frayed and torn across the entire right side.

Posted By: zenfly
Date Posted: Aug 29 2018 at 4:51am
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

I've ordered a few of these and here is what I got:
Classic F.:
AET 1959 s/n 118776, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
MidwayUSA Grade 1:
AET 1959 s/n 96242, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
AET 1960 s/n 127835, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard
AET 1960 s/n 142241, NOS, repainted unmarked m8 scabbard

Out of my Midway orders, I had to return 2 grade 1's. One was well used and the bayonet guard weld had separated. The second bayonet was nice but the cloth on the scabbord was very frayed and torn across the entire right side.

The one I ordered looks unused and has  AET w/cross cannons, flaming bomb & 1958 on one side. The number 85382 is on the other side of the blade near the grip.

-------------
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI

Date Posted: Aug 29 2018 at 8:22pm
I've updated the spreadsheet with the latest member data.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Posted By: rwsem1
Date Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 8:10am
AET, crossed cannons/ flaming bomb, 1956, SN# 39039, unissued in cosmoline

M8 copy scabbard, chips and nicks w/ circular round sticky label '22'

Midway USA grade 1

Posted By: RClark9595
Date Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 3:17pm
Still available, I ordered one.

-------------
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.

Posted By: ranzuly
Date Posted: Sep 27 2018 at 11:58am
Got a Italian bayonet from Midway yesterday (09/26/18) sold as Grade 1, markings: A.E.T., 1960, number 146893, both bayonet/scabbard appear to be new/unissued, scabbard does not have a belt hanger, fiberglass, M-8 Style, paid $24.82, Good Buy !!

Posted By: RClark9595
Date Posted: Sep 27 2018 at 7:45pm
I got mine today only 3 1/2 days after ordering, the bayonet looks new, it has not been sharpened, the blade has been coated with grease.
A, partial box and a D are stamped under the grips can't make out what is in the box.
It has no belt hooks
No. is 103556
On the other side of the blade base, there is something there but it's too hard to make out what it is, the metal is to rough.
No Date can be seen
No Mfr. can be seen
The blade is not finished very well, has small pitting etc.
The scabbard is a repaint over chipped paint, no markings on it at all.

I have a repro. that looks better than this, the blade is smooth well finished and it has a ringed leather grip.
Scabbard is marked US M8A1 US SPEC and has belt hooks

I don't want to discurage anyone, maybe just my luck of the draw.

-------------
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.

Posted By: Glen in Fla
Date Posted: Sep 29 2018 at 4:07pm
Midway is blowing them out, grade 1 for $22 bucks and change.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019930521/military-surplus-italian-m1-carbine-bayonet-with-scabbard" rel="nofollow - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019930521/military-surplus-italian-m1-carbine-bayonet-with-scabbard

Glen in Fla

Date Posted: Sep 29 2018 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Glen in Fla Glen in Fla wrote:

Midway is blowing them out, grade 1 for $22 bucks and change.

Interesting that they are selling the grade 1's for less than they are selling the grade 2's.

-------------
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member

Posted By: CVA-62
Date Posted: Sep 30 2018 at 6:43pm
I received my Italian m4 from Midway yesterday.  It is a Arsenale Esercito Torino marked dated 1960.  Serial number 138302. Ordered a Class 1 and that is exactly what I got. Unissued.  Never sharpened, only wear on blade is from being put in the scabbard once.  Bakelite grip is in excellent condition.  Scabbard show a little wear with a little dirt, but otherwise excellent with solid fiberglass.  Worth every penny and a nice addition for my late CMP FAT Inland.  

Total cost for me out the door $30 bucks including shipping and NRA roundup.  

Posted By: Peka02
Date Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 7:10pm
  I have two. One 1957 from Classic #49149, and one from Midway U.S.A. 1959 #19372. Both have repainted scabbards. Both have a small hair line crack at the very end of the scabbard. Blades are excellent, but the grips have small marks. Both are A.E.T.

Posted By: He Dog
Date Posted: Oct 23 2018 at 10:08am
From Midway, sold as Grade 1, ATE with crossed cannons and flaming bomb, marked 1960, but 6 hard to distinguish from 5 (used 10X), brown bakelite grip.  86844   Appears unused, fiberglass scabbard.

Not correct with anything I own, but for the price...

Posted By: BER911
Date Posted: Dec 23 2018 at 1:57pm
Received an Italian M4 bayonet as a recent birthday gift from my oldest son.  He got it from an antique gun dealer down near Camp Lejeune, NC back in November.

It is marked "A.E.T. w/crossed cannon and a "1960"date.  Its is serial number 146557.

It is used, but appears in very good condition. The M8 scabbard also looks to be in very good condition.

Some photos:

-------------
Semper Fi, Bruce

Date Posted: Dec 23 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Peka02 Peka02 wrote:

I have two. One 1957 from Classic #49149, and one from Midway U.S.A. 1959 #19372. Both have repainted scabbards. Both have a small hair line crack at the very end of the scabbard. Blades are excellent, but the grips have small marks.
Both are A.E.T.

Peka02,

Could you please double check the dates and serial numbers on both your bayonets? Neither one correlates to the sequence that has been established for them.

Originally posted by He Dog He Dog wrote:

From Midway, sold as Grade 1, ATE with crossed cannons and flaming bomb, marked 1960, but 6 hard to distinguish from 5 (used 10X), brown bakelite grip. 86844   Appears unused, fiberglass scabbard.
Not correct with anything I own, but for the price...

He Dog,

I would also like to see if you can confirm the serial number and date on your bayonet. That serial number should be 1958 or 1959, from what we have seen so far.

Here is an update to the list:

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Posted By: WJH1958
Date Posted: Dec 23 2018 at 10:12pm
Thanks i've been on this site (Carbine Collectors) just for a few days -  I ordered 2 at $32.95 - sure seems like a great group here and have helped me a lot so far.

-------------
WJH

Date Posted: Dec 28 2018 at 9:21pm
Not sure under what topic it was they wanted s/n's of any of us that purchased these bayonets - i bought 2 - s/n 122794  and s/n 31094 hope this helps

Mod edit; post moved to correct thread

-------------
WJH

Date Posted: Dec 29 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by WJH1958 WJH1958 wrote:

Not sure under what topic it was they wanted s/n's of any of us that purchased these bayonets - i bought 2 - s/n 122794  and s/n 31094 hope this helps

Mod edit; post moved to correct thread

WJH1958,

Thanks for the serial numbers...Could you please provide the date on each serialed blade, and a description of condition, as well as scabbard characteristics? If you look back through the thread, you'll see a spreadsheet that has many other examples of the data requested.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: Dec 29 2018 at 3:06pm
I bought 2 ` date 1958 s/n 122794 and 1955 s/n 31094 i'll try to post some pics of both - both look as if they have not been used - hope this helped

-------------
WJH

Date Posted: Dec 29 2018 at 3:17pm
WJH1958,

Your 1955 bayonet serial number makes sense, and expands the upper serial number range for that year. The serial number you indicate (122794) that has a 1958 date does not correlate with other data. The numbers can be difficult to read...Could you please double check if serial number 122794 is 1959 dated, instead of 1958?

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout

Date Posted: May 03 2019 at 3:26pm
I just received my 3rd Italian bayonet purchased from a private seller on Ebay. With shipping it was just under $45. Condition of the bayonet appears unissued, condition of the scabbard is used and repainted with khaki colored fabric. M8 copy marked A.E.T., dated 1955, SN 12058.

-------------
JackP

Posted By: Larry D.
Date Posted: Jun 19 2019 at 2:47pm
I got mine from a private party.
It's marked A.E.T. with the crossed cannon motif, and a date of 1955.  Its is serial number 13349.
Appears unissued.
Scabbard is unmarked in any way. Green paint and Italian webbing.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net