Forum Description: Carbine Related
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3266
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 2:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: CMP QUESTION
Posted By: fhmfire1
Subject: CMP QUESTION
Date Posted: Jan 11 2018 at 1:57am
Does anyone know how to go about buying from the c.m.p. ? What would i need to do ?,How do i get proof of cmp afiliation 

Replies:
Posted By: sling00
Date Posted: Jan 11 2018 at 6:45am
Welcome to the forum.  Go to CMPs sales page which has rifle sales and the estore links.  As for requirements here's a link:
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/" rel="nofollow - http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/
Sounds like you may have been there already since you are looking into the proof of CMP affiliation. They have a searchable listing  http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch" rel="nofollow - http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch

Your local FOP probably counts. Another simple one to join is the Garand Collectors Association.

Regards

Posted By: New2brass
Date Posted: Jan 11 2018 at 12:32pm
The Carbine Collectors Club is a CMP affiliated organization.

We no longer charge dues, but ask that members be a part of the club by submitting spotters reports, data sheets, article submissions or just by being active on the forums.

With the possible release of the 1911s we are getting a sharp rise in people joining the forums. As in the past when anything became available with the CMP.

All the work done by the club is on a volunteer basis, no one makes a dime. The maintenance of the CMP affiliation Roster is a tremendous amount of work.

With that we would love for anyone that joins the forums enjoy them at their leisure and zero input from them is fine. However we are not going to add everyone to the list that just wants free access to the CMP. We ask that you do participate. Further it is on you, the member, to make sure your registration information is complete and accurate. The CMP requires a physical location and does not accept a PO Box for sales of firearms. This information is not displayed to members!

We can recommend our brother organization theGCA.org which collects dues as well as a few other avenues if someone needs a quick fix.

There will be more information on CMP information to follow in it's own thread once available.

-------------
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/club-assistance-saginaw-receivers_topic4716.html" rel="nofollow - Club Survey Saginaw Receivers

Posted By: soylentBlue
Date Posted: Jan 11 2018 at 4:22pm
If you like the Garand, the GCA Journal alone is worth the price of membership.  Quality paper, lots of pictures, detailed articles.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2018 at 5:42pm
Thank you the Garand is my and my 11 yro sons dream rifle.Of course he knows more than I do about them

Date Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 6:54am
So just curious how long do i have to wait till in can use my affiliation with the club and how do i put it on the order form 

Posted By: richg072
Date Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 2:44pm
Hopefully you weren’t looking at either a Winchester or IHC Garand as they sold out already. Ugh. My form is mailed already but obviously it’s scrap paper now. If it wasn’t so unnecessary involved trying to figure out the application and meeting all their requirements I might of got it in weeks ago.   Oh well learning experience I guess, just frustrated because when you search broker some guys are selling the ones they got from cmp for double or more 🤔. Amazing how they increase value instantly

Date Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 3:11pm
I'm only looking for a shooter ,dont really care about the value of it when I get one gonna shoot it i can't shoot anymore I just don't want to spend 1200 - 1400 for one camp listing field grade for 630 bucks

Date Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 5:58pm
Try posting a WTB in the WANTED sub-forum.  Never know who might have one.  If not face to face, do you have a C&R or someone with a FFL to handle the transfer?  Something to think about.  Also, have you been watching the CMP Forum?  They have a lot more traffic than here.  You can watch for for a shooter which pops up every now and then in the $800 +/- range.  You can also post a WTB over there.  Be sure and look it over and ask all the questions you can.  Check the seller feedback on the individual as well.

That's probably more than you wanted to hear. 

Posted By: Uncle Mike
Date Posted: Jan 13 2018 at 9:47am
Hi, here's an article I wrote that has some information that may be of interest to you. It was written for a different audience and you may or may not agree with the conclusions.  If you want a first Garand I would order a Service grade. They are listed as $730. There are not a lot of choices at this time. It's winter and you have some time to get your paperwork in and prepare for the Spring shooting season. Feel free to contact me, regards, Mike

https://survivalblog.com/the-cmp-americas-civilian-armory-by-uncle-mike/" rel="nofollow - https://survivalblog.com/the-cmp-americas-civilian-armory-by-uncle-mike/

Posted By: BEBIII
Date Posted: Jan 20 2018 at 9:05am
Originally posted by richg072 richg072 wrote:

Hopefully you weren’t looking at either a Winchester or IHC Garand as they sold out already. Ugh. My form is mailed already but obviously it’s scrap paper now. If it wasn’t so unnecessary involved trying to figure out the application and meeting all their requirements I might of got it in weeks ago.   Oh well learning experience I guess, just frustrated because when you search broker some guys are selling the ones they got from cmp for double or more 🤔. Amazing how they increase value instantly

My paperwork for a WRA was sent the day before they sold out. I should have been paying closer attention...they were up there for quite a while. Oh, well...

I keep fantasying that an e-mail from CMP sales will pop up announcing that they have received a new batch of carbines to be available first-come first-serve. I was out of the country on vacation and missed the release two years ago. 

Date Posted: Jan 20 2018 at 2:27pm
The carbine sale was a hit or miss.  A friend of mine got a nice Bavarian.  I got what I'm pretty sure is a CMP spare parts IBM mixmaster.  But it does have a nice ROCK-OLA Undated M-1, T-2, barrel and an S'G' notched trigger.  I'm guessing the CMP is covered up with prepping for the 1911 sale.  That'll put the carbine and IHC Garand sales to shame.  

Posted By: GotSnlB28
Date Posted: Jan 21 2018 at 6:42pm
Outside of auction carbines, I'm not aware that the CMP has any left or is expecting any.
If you got one in the last sale you were lucky. Orders far outnumbered available rifles. I had my order in the first day and didn't get one (not a big deal)

Posted By: m1a1fan
Date Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 9:06pm
Here's a form that may help. If you are a member of a shooting club, check, they might be affiliated. Lots of options. Hth.

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch" rel="nofollow - https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch

Posted By: sleeplessnashadow
Date Posted: Jan 24 2018 at 3:26pm
"The Carbine Collectors Club is a CMP affiliated organization."

"We no longer charge dues, but ask that members be a part of the club by submitting spotters reports, data sheets, article submissions or just by being active on the forums."

A little background though New2Brass summed it up nicely.

The Carbine Club was founded in 1976 by a small group of acquaintances who had a mutual interest in reconstructing the history of the .30 caliber carbines. It was set up as a co-op as opposed to the traditional organization structures. There was no president, no officers. Only an editor for the newsletter that served as a means of sharing information. The dues existed only to cover the cost of the printing and mailing of the newsletters.

The editor was a non paid volunteer who enlisted the aid of other members to help make the newsletter and mailings happen. By default, the editor became the de facto "president" but enlisted the assitance of other members in making organization decisions.

When the Carbine Club became affiliated with CMP the job of coordinating with CMP and providing a list of the members defaulted to the editor. The Carbine Club was the least expensive and easiest means of gaining access to CMP. Without having to do anything other than pay the newsletter fee. Hundreds of people "joined" the Club who had little or no interest in .30 caliber carbines. Which was contrary to the reasons the Club existed. Also contrary to why CMP granted the Club affiliation status.

One of the biggest frustrations of any editor is getting the material with which to construct a newsletter. It comes with the "job". Being the editor placed the Club editor at ground zero for seeing who contributed to the co-op and who didn't. With the understanding that some contribute more than others and even the occasional minor contributions are of value in a cooperative effort to reconstruct the history.

CMP affilitaion put the non-paid editor in a position that became an unpopular ongoing struggle on top of the responsibilities of an editor producing a newsletter.

The last newsletter was published in October 2015. With the newsletter having been the focal point around which The Carbine Club existed, The Club ceased to exist.

I'd been pushing for a move to the internet for the Club for a number of years. For a variety of reasons, some of them valid, there was much resistance to this suggestion. With the end of the newsletters I offered to bring my websites together as kind of a memorial to the Club to show and share a small percentage of what the members had accompished with their collective. In the form of a basic to medium level reference site.

Most people are unaware that every book that's been published on the .30 caliber carbines, other than the government published manuals or copies thereof, the author(s) have obtained a significant portion of their material from the cooperative efforts of the members of the The Carbine Club. This is also true of many articles authored and yet to be authored. A few of the above have been by authors who joined to obtain information and shared nothing in return.

I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with running a club or any other organization. The limitations of my people skills are not my strength. I believe in pooling our strengths instead of our weaknesses.

After the last newsletter was published and it was fully realized the Club was at it's end a couple people stepped up to the plate to keep it going in the form of this forum. The Carbine Club gave birth to what you now see as The Carbine Collector's Club.

The basic concept hasn't changed, this is meant to be a cooperative effort to reconstruct more of the history of the .30 caliber carbines. But add to this the benefits of the internet, sharing information and helping anyone who is interested. With no dues and at no cost to anyone.

How to go about membership for CMP affiliation is no easy challenge. Especially given the ease with which thousands of people could join the forum and hope to gain access to the benefits of CMP affiliation.

The decision on what to do has been a struggle since this forum started on 01 Jan 2016. I am not the shot caller on this. I think the potential for abuse is far greater than encountered by The Carbine Club editor. To a degree CMP "affiliation" should be avoided. In support of both CMP and The Carbine Collector's Club.

Whoever makes the decision on what to do is in a lose/lose situation. The editor shouldn't have been put in that position. The group that puts all the time and effort into this forum and trying to continue the Club shouldn't be put in that position.

Jim

Date Posted: Jan 25 2018 at 8:45pm
Let me start by saying thank you for all the hard work that people have up into this club.I for one am very much interested the history and the story of the carbine.I recently purchased my first carbine even though its a commercial copy it still means alto to me to have someplace to look for information on it and others . I also learn something new every time I sign in to this forum .l plan on using what I have learned to someday purchase the real thing .Thanks again

Posted By: sleeplessnashadow
Date Posted: Jan 26 2018 at 9:35pm
Thanks fhmfire1

It's slow going doing the research, organization and web page building. But it is a constant ongoing project with much more to come.

I need time to update the commercial carbines and "Bavarians" but it will happen over time.

Jim

Posted By: KevinG
Date Posted: Jun 07 2018 at 9:02am
I just went through it.
Go to the CMP ( Civilian Marksmanship Program ) website and they have a check list
  • checklist
    • Proof of Citizenship: Passport
    • Join a club: CMP has a list
    • Marksmanship: Show proof or if u r 60 or over, u don't need it.
    • Permit/Ship to: Check NY state laws. If you have a pistol permit, provide it. And have a gun shop to have you purchase shipped to. Unless u have a FOID license.
    • Forms: Complete 1A Purchaser ID
    • Forms: Complete 2A  ( If its your first time through CMP, Have it Notarized ) Certification
    • Forms: 3A Purchaser/Ship to Info
    • CMP has a checklist...print it out and go over it again.
    • Make a complete copy of the whole package for yourself
  • You can do this complete form on line and print out.
  • Submit to CMP and they will inform you if complete or if any corrections, adjustments need to be made.
  • And be patient.  :-)

-------------
THANKS,
KEVIN

Posted By: New2brass
Date Posted: Aug 21 2018 at 11:55am
*NOTICE*

CMP updated affiliation going in this week! If you wish to be considered for list you must go to "members control panel" then click on "edit profile"and verify your mailing address. The fields may have changed since you joined
"address for CMP roster" put street address
"Town/city, state, zip"    
"Last name, first"  if putting middle initial or name  put after first name without comma. 
None of this information in these 3 fields are displayed or available to members!
Please use commas. Please do put in order as listed

As stated above that the club is dependent on its members sharing of information, submissions etc.
For that we offer CMP affiliation. If you are a lurker that has not posted or submitted anything please consider being involved for the next roster submission.

To be considered for the list you must have:
correct information as stated above, any omissions may preclude you from list
 at least 10 points which is displayed in your profile or:
If you submitted a data sheet 
Purchased a complete set of newsletters through the forum

If you meet this criteria then please post here you updated info. You can PM me but I am sure box will fill up fast
You can also email me Dan@uscarbinecal30  (dot) com

Certain courtesy may be extended on an individual basis

-------------
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/club-assistance-saginaw-receivers_topic4716.html" rel="nofollow - Club Survey Saginaw Receivers

Posted By: Abel4287
Date Posted: Sep 25 2021 at 9:44pm
thank you for the info on the requirements I have been a member since July  this year and have been quite active I feel. I have just put in in for a CMP purchase would I been on the list to full fill my requirements for my purchase?

-------------
USMC 2111

Posted By: cpttuna
Date Posted: Sep 10 2023 at 11:41am
If you are located in Toledo, you are only a short distance from the CMP north store at Camp Perry. You can take all your paperwork with you to the store. While they are processing you , you can shop and actually pick out a rifle. They are open-Thurs, Friday and Saturday. I take us6 east to 53 I get on 53 towards Port Clinton. When you hit Rt 2, go west about 3 miles to Camp Perry.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net