Print Page | Close Window

hand guard with metal insert SR

Printed From: The Carbine Collector's Club
Category: The Club
Forum Name: Club Requests and Member Submissions
Forum Description: Submissions, Spotters Reports, Documents, Sharp Eyes Dept.
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2644
Printed Date: Apr 18 2024 at 3:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: hand guard with metal insert SR
Posted By: sfal7418
Subject: hand guard with metal insert SR
Date Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 7:07pm
will post a pic soon....have a Winchester stamped along with Ord bomb...handguard....it is strange in the fact that it has a small metal piece inletted into the underside....towards the front where you see them slotted for a M3........but it doesn't go thru the wood...(cant see it from the top)....a stiffener perhaps?...
Thanks for any help/input
Al

Replies:
Date Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 7:07pm
forgot it is a 2 rivet

Date Posted: Nov 02 2016 at 3:35pm
my bad....4 rivet

Posted By: floydthecat
Date Posted: Nov 02 2016 at 6:41pm
For the short time that I have been participating here on the forum and the lengthy amount of time that preceded that doing research, I have come to learn that about anything is possible and there is always an anomaly out there someplace. Some one could have added that support I suppose, or it may turn out that a participant has another answer or suggestion. I have seen examples of more than a couple with split stocks and hand guards. I have myself considered lining the interior of a hand guard with fiberglass reinforcement, especially if it's not collectable, rare or has a makers-mark. I think the best answer (in terms of a shooter) is to obtain an M2 pot belly and a late hand guard. They are much, much stronger.

Posted By: Charles
Date Posted: Nov 04 2016 at 7:00pm
Rather than fiber glass, may I sugest a product made by Minwax. It's called " High Performance Wood Hardener"

-------------
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Date Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 6:25am
i understand the fiberglass and other ways to reinforce the handguard.....my thoughts were that this was done at the factory. ...as the job is very "clean"  and old.....was wondering if anyone else has seen one of  these before
Thanks Al

Posted By: floydthecat
Date Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 8:07am
The arsenal personnel sure knew what they were doing when it came to stock repairs. I'm sure most everybody here has seen some of the fixes on hand guards and stocks and it's just hard to believe some of the patches they applied. That's back when quality really meant something.

Date Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 2:10pm
Thanks for all the input..... but this handguard hasn't been repaired....I was thinking it  was made this way
Thanks Al

Posted By: Lupus Dei
Date Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 6:59pm
Pictures?

-------------
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums

Date Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 7:51pm
If it looks as though a nail was driven in and excess was ground off, it could be a threaded dowel to repair a crack. This has been common practice in furniture and gun stock repair. A small hole is drilled and then a slightly larger threaded dowel is scrude in by means of an electric drill. Without a picture, I am only guessing.

-------------
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Date Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 6:35am

Date Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 6:41am

Date Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 6:42am
some pics sorry about the duplicate.....
Thanks again
Al

Date Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 8:29am
That one pic. that looks like a mini horse shoe with two tiny holes at the ends of the metal, looks like a tiny staple. Could you take a really close up picture of it pleas. Also,  if it is a staple, it is holding two pieces together. look for a seam nearby. 

-------------
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Posted By: New2brass
Date Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 9:11am
Very interesting. Clearly looks like it was being cut for a M3 carbine.
Though there is a W on it the letter next to ord bomb is a M.

Pic of top please to see profile.

Date Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 9:29am
will post some more pics when I return home.....yes it is a M....for (modified?)....not sure....love the story 1 part can tell.....or make you think about
Al

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 2:25pm

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 2:26pm
Thanks for any input /help
Al

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 3:08pm
Sorry, I thought you wanted to discover what the metal was about, we seemed to have been side tracked.

-------------
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 3:15pm
Charles, I am trying to learn about the metal insert......not sure what it is you saw....I don't see any staples in it.....which pic....the 2 half circles opposite the ord bomb are impressions
Thanks Al

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 3:22pm
The bottom portion of the first pic. and the top portion of the second pic.

-------------
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 3:33pm
Are you referring to the 4 rivet hold down piece of metal?

-------------
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 3:39pm
not the 4 rivet.....the metal insert towards the front.....here is a pic of what appears to be a  "M" stamped....if this is what you were referring to....
Thanks Al

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 3:57pm
If you could take a really sharp photo and circle the piece of metal with a grease pencil.

-------------
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 4:03pm
you can clearly see it in the pics I posted today...it's just under 1 1/2" long and just under 1/2" wide inlayed in cut out
Thanks Al

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 4:13pm
Charles.....you got me thinking.....and I will be damned.......I put a magnet on it and it doesn't stick...as it does of course stick to the 4 rivet tab.....now iam not sure what its made of.....plastic?.....looks like phosphate coated metal.....it is glued in that cutout....and the hand guard is not split.....
Thanks Al

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 4:15pm
Are you talking about that curved piece of metal held in place with four rivets sticking slighty beyond the end of the hand guard?

-------------
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 4:17pm
no the other end

Date Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 4:53pm
That piece of metal with four rivets holding it to the hand guard inserts into a slot at the breech.

-------------
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Posted By: New2brass
Date Posted: Dec 09 2018 at 8:25pm
Al, 
Sometimes answers get found out if you wait, Though not a decisive answer we can say your handguard was not a one-off fix.
I was at a gun show and a seller had about a hundred similar handguards that look just like yours.
All had 4 rivets. Almost all had the ordnance bomb which was probably to accept the veneered section.
he back looked to be cardboard but the top was a wood grain.
Many marks such as U, M , SJ , W, P1, OI, PU. Some had numbers as well as letters. Here is the thing, we know some handguards were updated to 4 rivets from 2, however you can usually see the cutout where the old cut was and new cut started.
Further, some marks looked legitimate and others suspicious like the PU and SJ. Then there is the mystery of the M.
Many of the cuts for the barrel bar that mounts the sniperscopes were crudely cut. I am thinking these were made up overseas. 

-------------
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/club-assistance-saginaw-receivers_topic4716.html" rel="nofollow - Club Survey Saginaw Receivers

Date Posted: Dec 28 2018 at 8:41am
Wow thanks for the info....love the history
Al

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net