Forum Description: Questions and Answers
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1506
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 7:48am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: M1 Stock
Posted By: aschaefer
Subject: M1 Stock
Date Posted: Jul 12 2016 at 7:39am
Would you have any information about this stock manufacturer. I suppose it is a commercial replacement stock, but so far I could not find any information.

In case the marking cannot be seen clearly, it says:    SILL

Replies:
Posted By: Lupus Dei
Date Posted: Jul 13 2016 at 8:48am
does it have the bridge in channel?

-------------
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums

Posted By: sleeplessnashadow
Date Posted: Jul 14 2016 at 9:43pm
Sile was a stock maker in Brescia, Italy. All kinds of stocks for many different firearms. They started manufacturing .30 caliber carbine stocks for the M1 Carbine not long after the end of WWII for various police and military (self defense forces) for countries in Europe who received carbines from U.S. Forces and the Military Assistance Program. At some point they also manufactured M2 and M1A1 stocks. They also sold these stocks commercially throughout Europe.

The photo below was sent to me by a carbine owner in Germany. He inherited the stock and carbine it was on from his father. I've been looking for carbine stocks made by Sile and better pictures of the carbine stocks for a number of years without success.

In October 1959 a company named Sile Distributors incorporated in New York at 7 Center Market Place in NYC. This location was next door to the John Jovino Gunshop. In 1959 John Jovino was owned by Frank Albanese. Louis Imperato married one of his daughters and inherited the John Jovino Gunshop in the 60's. He ran it for many years. His son, Anthony Imperato, still runs it today at a different location. Louis Imperato and his son Anthony have owned and been involved in a number of gun businesses over the years. Including buying Iver Johnson, moving their assets to New Jersey where they bought Plainfield Machine and made carbines in the name of Iver Johnson 1977-1983 and again in AR 1987-1991. Louis started and Anthony now runs Henry Repeating Arms.

I don't know what involvement Louis Imperato had with Sile Distributors in NY but he was involved. Whether he was the owner or a partner in the enterprise. Whatever the case, Sile Distributors imported many different stocks and grips manufactured by Sile in Italy from 1959 into the 1990's. It appears Sile Distributors changed hands and moved to Meriden, CT in the 1980's.

I have several of the Sile Distributor catalogs but they don't include carbine stocks. I've attempted to locate more info on Sile in Italy without success. The town shown in the image above is a small town and can be toured on Google Street view. The company is no longer in business. I need to remind myself to communicate with a few of the Italian gun companies that have been around awhile and see what I can learn. I keep forgetting with so much else on my plate.

I'm fairly certain Sile made some of the stocks we've found on the carbines returned from Bavaria and Austria that were used by the police/gendarmerie there. Those stocks are excellent quality. A few I have may have been made by Sile but don't have the name. I've only seen the name on commercially sold stocks.

Probably a few people here who know far more about Sile Distributors in NY and CT. Many of the different stocks and grips are sold on Ebay. Haven't seen a Sile carbine stock there yet.

I'd be very interested in seeing a few more pics of your stock. Both sides and from the top. Also a better pic of the Sile/Sill name if possible.

Jim

Date Posted: Jul 17 2016 at 12:48pm
Thanks for this great information about the M1 Stock. The more I look at it the more I get convinced that you are right with the SILE company. 
Here are some more pics that I have taken today. 

Posted By: sleeplessnashadow
Date Posted: Jul 17 2016 at 7:12pm
Thanks for sharing the pics. Sometimes if you take a small light that can be maneuvered inside the stock and try different angles of light from different direction, including reflective light with the beam reflected off the marking the small details may show up. May not. Looks like the center line in the E the tip is visible. Don't need a different pic, just information for your eyes.

Thanks again

Jim

Posted By: Charles
Date Posted: Jul 24 2016 at 7:01am
Not that it will help locating it but it looks like an M2 stock to me.

-------------
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Date Posted: Jul 24 2016 at 10:10am
Yes, it has the cutout for the selection lever.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net