Print Page | Close Window

Moldy Carbines

Printed From: The Carbine Collector's Club
Category: The Club
Forum Name: Newsworthy Items
Forum Description: Newsletters and Featured Carbines
URL: http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1076
Printed Date: May 23 2022 at 12:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Moldy Carbines
Posted By: Lupus Dei
Subject: Moldy Carbines
Date Posted: Dec 21 2015 at 9:07pm
uploads/CCNLs/CC20163Moldycarbines.pdf" rel="nofollow -
-  Moldy Carbines



MOLDY CARBINES RECEIVED AT SPRINGFIELD ARMORY, 5 MARCH 1947

Thanks to Billy Pyle for submitting the below photo of a crate of carbines (with #1 bands) with mold
issues, as received from an overseas depot. The USA 2-84 and 2-82 designations in the caption refer to
“Oil, Rust Preventative, Light…or Heavy.” See Newsletter 379 for more information on this subject.





-------------
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums



Replies:
Posted By: New2brass
Date Posted: Feb 16 2016 at 12:06am
I have had an issue with a light mold in a few stocks that had a grease like substance on them. I wiped it down and removed what I could but it seems to come back. I keep humidity low.
Was it due to animal based protectant? Any hint on how to prevent its return?


Posted By: OAMAAM68
Date Posted: Feb 17 2016 at 10:15am
Dan, I've gotten some like that. I think ones that came with the mold may have had more Raw Linseed Oil applied to them previously than the wood could absorb. Acetone is helpful in removing the old excess RLO on the surface. I put moldy stocks in the sun to sweat out excess RLO, wipe with acetone and return to the safe. As you wrote, keeping the humidity low is the best way to prevent mold.


Posted By: Charles
Date Posted: Aug 06 2019 at 1:27pm
When we were living in the Philippines, all of the closets and small rooms used for storage had lite fixture on the floor, always on to prevent mildew on our shoes.  

-------------
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA



Posted By: blackfish
Date Posted: Aug 06 2019 at 3:23pm
It's well known that linseed oil makes great fungus food! How to prevent the outgrowth? Probably add some toxic metal or other material to RLO


Posted By: Glen in Fla
Date Posted: Aug 07 2019 at 4:10pm
I'm on the east coast of Florida, just a couple miles inland, so humidity & mold is a normal problem here.
I have a goldenrod in the safe and go through it 2-3 times a year and wipe everything down.
The goldenrod is a big help.


Posted By: David Albert
Date Posted: Aug 07 2019 at 9:09pm
As OAMAAM68 mentions, put the stocks out in the sun on a hot day, so that they sweat out the linseed oil, and then wipe them down with acetone. You will want to repeat the sun treatment for as long as the oil sweats out of the stock. I did this to a bunch of surplus rifles back in the 1980's. Use a dehumidifier in the room where they are stored.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
Past President, The American Thompson Association
American Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
Contributing Writer, Small Arms Review Magazine
Eagle Scout, NESA


Posted By: New2brass
Date Posted: Aug 08 2019 at 2:52pm
Might work to remove mold, fungus. But....

the acetone will remove the upper layers of RLO and dry out the wood in short order. The cellulose may collapse.
You would need to oil to protect.

I have heard of sun method of removing cosmoline. The RLO polymerizes so I dont see how it leaches out unless it breaks the bond.
I will have to try it out.

BTW, the sun is a natural disinfectant.  It will kill the mold. It can then be wiped off. Use breathing protection is dealing with mold as it may have ill health effect


-------------
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/club-assistance-saginaw-receivers_topic4716.html" rel="nofollow - Club Survey Saginaw Receivers


Posted By: David Albert
Date Posted: Aug 08 2019 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Might work to remove mold, fungus. But....

the acetone will remove the upper layers of RLO and dry out the wood in short order. The cellulose may collapse.
You would need to oil to protect.

I have heard of sun method of removing cosmoline. The RLO polymerizes so I dont see how it leaches out unless it breaks the bond.
I will have to try it out.

BTW, the sun is a natural disinfectant.  It will kill the mold. It can then be wiped off. Use breathing protection is dealing with mold as it may have ill health effect





Yes, after you get out all the oil and grime that leaches out from the sun treatment, and after you wipe it down with acetone, then you have a starting point for a new wood treatment of your choice to be applied. The sun technique really works well when you have a stock that has soaked up decades of oil and grime. You can literally just wipe it off, clean it up with acetone, and go from there. It will also get rid of the mold. Try it when it's 100 degrees outside. You can just about sit in the shade, drinking a beer, and watch the sun do the work for you.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

-------------
NRA Life Member
Past President, The American Thompson Association
American Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
Contributing Writer, Small Arms Review Magazine
Eagle Scout, NESA



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net