Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post WWII Howa Parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post WWII Howa Parts
    Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 12:55am
Is it known if any of the parts 'Made' by Howa for maintaining/rebuilding US Carbines were marked in any way?

Howa In the 1946 - 1949 time, the Government of Japan received with approval from the US military to use the M1 / M2 carbine and M1 Garand was in charge of the production of maintenance and replacement parts. At this time, the US Army Armed Forces Department trained and supervised personnel of the Toyokazu Industrial side so that they could manufacture parts with the same quality as the home country, and also provided equipment. After that, he continued to produce parts for the US military.

Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 9:35am
Charlie, Not sure about any small parts but stocks have been observed marked HML (Howa Machinery Ltd.)

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Howa.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 10:57am
USGI spec rear sights had the Howa logo on them
 opposite side ....060

There is another thread about USGI receivers with Howa serial numbers. The Thai police style rear sight will not fit a USGI receiver.

Edit to add: Charlie, did you look at the footnotes where that website got some of its information?
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 3:29pm
If it's of any value ....

Several books I have on post War Japan that discuss their industry during that time indicate for many years after the war the few companies allowed to make military type firearms, firearm parts, and ammunition for export were not allowed to put any markings on them that identified Japan as their point of origin. An example was the carbines Howa made for the Thai Police.

However, during the Occupation of Japan the Occupation laws and agreements forbid the manufacture of anything firearm related. Unless they were contracted to do so by U.S. Office of Military Government run by the U.S. Military. If a part was made for use by the U.S. military the company followed the guidelines of the U.S. Military. Which were sometimes altered slightly given the circumstances at the time.

What I've seen is items Howa made for the U.S. Military and NATO usually have markings on them in keeping with post WWII markings guidelines. Items made for use in Japan have whatever marking Japan dictated. Items made for commercial export for use in sporting or hunting have the Howa markings.

This can be seen on the three web pages we have on Howa's carbines. The sporterized carbine model they first came out with in 1960 is the one depicted on the web page. There is also info there on Howa trying to find a U.S. company to import them and sell them. Without success given the profit margin, prices the WWII GI carbines were being sold for here, and the profit margin for those who sold commercial U.S. made carbines.

Hope this helps.

Jim
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 8:07pm
I'm trying to just concentrate on the parts Japan (Howa) made for the US Arms, Post WWII under the Supervision of the US.

1946-1949 Howa
Under the US Army Ordnance:  trained and supervised personnel of the Howa owned Toyokazu Industrial site so that they could manufacture parts with the same quality as the home country (US), and also provided equipment. 

Korean War,
1952 Howa and other Japanese companies continued to produce for the US military.
To include:
MK2 Hand Grenades, 81mm Mortar and Airplane parts, tanks among many misc other items.

Korean War ended in late July 1953.
I've seen NSN (National Stock Number) 1005-716-2080
This being the number for the Winged (Rotary ) Safety.
I often see it in a brown wrap, 1 per package. Unmarked as far as maker.
Have seen Rotary safeties in the brown wrap dated 10-63, 11-63, 12-63.
From these 1 per pack in the wrap came H.T. Safeties.
But have also seen same marked wraps with different maker marked safeties in it.

Thoughts being...
One of the most common late War/Post War parts used to upgrade US Carbines was the Winged (Rotary Safety). We know this from known makers of these post WWII Safeties. This part swap was carried on up to Vietnam, maybe beyond.

Could it be possible that the Winged (Rotary) Safety marked H.T. was a product of Howa from Howa's Toyokazu Industrial site ?
This is my best guess...........

Just To Add:
Picture of the Facility used to make the Thailand Police Carbines Improved Model 300's (M300) in 1966.
10,000 sold:

FWIW,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2023 at 12:47pm
Hello everyone!

I'm replying to an older post, but I think it is worthwhile - I have looked over my unmarked postwar M2 stock that I received from JG Sales last year, and determined that it may well be a Howa stock made during from the 49-52 period (according to what I read on the carbine collectors page). This is one of the NOS/unused and "naked" stocks that has an unmarked buttplate in identical detail as the one shown on the uscarbinecal30 page:

It also has an unmarked recoil plate, which I am not sure if it is cast or milled. It doesn't have any of the visible casting mold "lines" and appears totally smooth. But it also doesn't really have that machined/milled appearance - is it more than likely a casting? I read that postwar plates are usually cast without markings.

It has a Type 2 recoil plate screw, and the barrel band retainer is the smooth-sided type without that line down the center.

My thoughts are that this was a stock built in Japan by Howa meant for replacement on either Japanese-issued carbines, or depot rebuild program American carbines that would have been used during occupation or the Korean War era.

I look to others with knowledge to offer any observations on these postwar Japanese stocks and parts to chime in, if they wish. 

As Sergeant Schultz would say - "I know nothing! I know nothing!"

By the way, I bought the stock as a replacement for the commercial carbine I own. It is a 2014 or 2015 made by Auto Ordnance/Kahr Arms.

Thanks!
Adam
Yesterday, it worked. Today it is not working. Windows is like that.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2023 at 1:52pm
Adam, absent any markings, what is it that you used to determine it was made by Howa?

if only by the buttplate, did you also compare to the Israel Arms International buttplate that is lower down on the buttplate page?

Some pictures of the stock and parts may be helpful
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2023 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Adam, absent any markings, what is it that you used to determine it was made by Howa?

if only by the buttplate, did you also compare to the Israel Arms International buttplate that is lower down on the buttplate page?

Some pictures of the stock and parts may be helpful

That's a great question. I based a lot of my understanding on the butt plate, which is identical in appearance to the Howa photo. None of the other plates match the diagonal pattern that looks like this one, with the same missing "diamonds" or dots on the right side, for example. Photos would be great, but I don't have the gun out right now to photograph. I'll certainly update with those when I can.

The IAI plate has very different raised "dots" than the one on my stock, not similar. 

Ultimately, I think the stock was a post-war replacement/spare made for military use rather than a civilian-made (Iver Johnson/etc) stock. If you go back to one of my other posts, I did put some pics up. Sorry they are not the best quality. 

But yes, it is my goal to get some decent photos up to illustrate.

Adam
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2023 at 8:41pm
Adam,

Adam's Prior Post

Howa manufactured:

• M2 carbine military stocks for U.S. Army Ordnance in the late 1940's early 1950's - we have one example and pics

• M1 and/or M2 carbine military stocks for the Japan Self Defense Forces in the 50's and 60's - we've seen no examples

• M1 carbine military stocks for the Thai Border Police in the mid 60's - some of these did return with the Thai carbines and we may have seen examples but have no means to confirm they were made by Howa as the importer replaced many from several different sources

• M1 carbine military stocks for Japan's cap-firing M1 carbine replica "Model Guns" made by Rocken in 1969, some of which were sold under the CMC name in 1971 - I may have one of these I acquired several weeks ago. It has an NPM buttplate Rocken may have added as they also used surplus U.S. GI carbine stocks.

• Several different sporting stocks for their .30 carbine Model 300 sporting rifles made in the 60's, 70's, and 80's - we have pics of several examples

I assume they made spare stocks for most of these.

It would make sense the buttplates they used for all of their M1 and M2 military stocks had the same pattern as those they made for the U.S. military but we haven't been able to confirm this.

Howa responded to an inquiry by Larry Ruth and later by me that they have no info on any of the carbines they manufactured other than the sales brochure for the Model 300. Yet, off and on they have posted and removed pics of them on their website.

Looking at the pics you posted prior it appears your stock has some consistencies with the U.S. Ordnance stock Howa made but we'd need more and better pics to confirm this. When you can, it would be much appreciated. If you need help with what to take pics of or formatting the post so the pics are larger than the forum software can do just let me know via a pm or email.

Jim
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2023 at 9:08pm
Charlie,

I'm sorry, I didn't see your 2019 post until today. I don't recall getting a notification for a new post to this list.

I haven't seen the HT marking on anything Howa. It's possible they were contracted by the U.S. military to make rotary safeties in 1963 but I haven't seen any variation of their name with the letter T. Those I've seen have been HML, HP, and/or the Howa three circle logo, and/or the Japan UN country code (60) absent the rest of the NSN part number.

Wish I could do a research trip to Japan. But a dozen other places too. For a short time we had a forum member located in Japan but he hasn't responded to my inquiries.

Jim
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2023 at 12:17am
Jim, 
I will try and get pics!

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2023 at 2:36pm
the 60s dated packaging I believe to be mostly, if not all, re-packaged items.  Refinished and repacked  with the possibility of NOS. Not enough info to say for sure, but I would not use the dates for manufacture time frame.
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2023 at 4:47pm
Hello,
I am coming back with more photos of the possible Howa stock with Howa buttplate that I purchased frmo J&G Sales online last year.

Jim (thank you!) explained to me how to use web hosting sites to upload and share photos, so I am trying that out now. Haven't figured out how to get the image in smaller size to display, and then link you to the bigger pic on the image server just yet. I'll get better at it. Til then, you just have to click my links to go see the pics.

First off, here are some pics of the possible Howa buttplate.

I will fix this post if the images don't link properly. I'm new to this game!

Adam

Edited by W5USMC - Aug 26 2023 at 5:04pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2023 at 5:37pm
Adam, I also got a butt plate exactly like yours on a stock from J&G, think it came on a pot belly SA stock. Pictured in below thread.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2023 at 5:58pm
Hello all,
  This is the completely unmarked and unused stock that came attached to my possible Howa buttplate. Another way to think of this stock, is that it just may be a Howa-manufactured stock. I am new to posting photos, so bear with me. 
(And thank you to Jim and Wayne for helping me attempt to properly post pics!)

Details of the stock to follow:
Recoil plate pics.

Receiver/barrel channel pics, Buttstock end pics, Nose end pics to come next.

Also, other detail pics - so you can see the chatter marks and such from how the stock was drilled out.
I just hope the images come through right!

Adam
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2023 at 8:44pm
Adam, can we please see a few pics of the area just forward of what's shown above? Showing the area 4' or 5" to either side of the M2 selector opening along with the inside of the stock at the front of the opening for the trigger housing.

Thanks much

Jim
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2023 at 9:55pm
Jim,

let's see if these pics help with what you are asking. 

adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2023 at 10:04pm
I've got a few other stock photos that might show more detail on determining if it may be Howa or not. Again, I know nothing about the provenance of this stock other than from what I saw in photos - the buttplate matches the Howa example. This is an unissued unused stock. Devoid of any markings I can find.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2023 at 12:53am
Adam

I think it's a Howa stock. I wish I'd taken more detailed photos of every nook and cranny but I've seen enough to say I think it is. That wood, it's grain, and the almost like it wasn't sanded down properly (not sure how to describe it). I haven't seen anything like it other than the Howa stock Dan now has.

Let's see what Dan has to say when I takes a closer look at the one he has.

Thanks for all the pics.

I'd ad my pics but wanna wait til Dan gives the okay.

Jim
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2023 at 9:34am
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

Adam

I think it's a Howa stock. I wish I'd taken more detailed photos of every nook and cranny but I've seen enough to say I think it is. That wood, it's grain, and the almost like it wasn't sanded down properly (not sure how to describe it).
Jim

You are spot on about the wood finish - this is a stock that had that dry, open grain look and texture. Never been sanded, never been coated in any sort of linseed oil or beeswax or varnish finish. 

You will notice, however, in a few of the above photos I took a difference between darkness of the stock. Before I reassembled this stock with the A/O gun parts, I did rub it down with a beeswax mix. Actually, I can't exactly recall if it was that or SnoSeal, but it is just meant to be my user gun stock and I did not want it to be so dry.

Thanks for your observations  - I appreciate the history lesson!

Adam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>