Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [8.00%]
10 [40.00%]
13 [52.00%]

Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POLL: Search Box Location
    Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 2:51pm
New Search Option

Guests may now vote in this poll.

In an attempt to make searches easier we installed some new search boxes. The forum built-in search function has its limitation to the forums.

The new search boxes:
USCarbineCal30 will search the USGI carbine web pages as well as the forum
M1CarbinesInc will search the commercial pages
BavarianM1Carbines will search the Bavarian pages

Being that the web pages have their own addresses it is not possible to have an all in one search. The benefit is that narrower search results will be less.  That make things easier to locate.

The poll questions are related to the location of the search boxes above and below the toolbar.

Above the Toolbar

Below the Toolbar

Please note that this is the view on a computer. If you are looking on a mobile device the display can change from device to device. 

On a mobile device, you can change the look by scrolling to the bottom of the page and choosing 
View in: Mobile / Classic 

Also if you set your device to auto rotate and turn the device sideways it may change how it looks on your device.

Discussion is always welcome.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2019 at 10:40pm
bump

67 views, only 9 votes
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2019 at 10:51pm
Those who didn't vote default to "does not make a difference"
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2019 at 9:11am
I didn't get to vote, but the current design looks the most reasonable.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2019 at 9:44am
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

Those who didn't vote default to "does not make a difference"

But it does help show number of members that took the time to give input!

Anyone else not able to vote?

With the newsletters the forum traffic is higher.
For those wanting to vote, You must be logged in.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2019 at 9:49am
Can a person post if they are not logged in? I noticed I'm not logged in on this visit, but was able to post my message after being denied to vote.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2019 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

But it does help show number of members that took the time to give input!

Sorry, I should have worded that post different.

Rea the survey format, with what tenOCEE added maybe the surveys should indicate a person needs to be logged in to vote. The number of visits of those who did not vote obviously likely included those who didn't log in and tried to vote, maybe more than once.

My vote on where to indicate ya gotta be logged in to vote is somewhere where it doesn't get lost in the instructions some may not read if the questions are straight forward. Especially when the questions are above the instructions. Which is not a suggestion to put them after the instructions. Being before the instructions has definite benefits in making things simple for voting.

Rea the survey on the question of where the search boxes should go, it's clear from those who have voted the preference, if there is one, is below the bar. Below the bar those with no preference can work with it.

I like that the search boxes are now centered on the width of the page. Though obvious which search button is used with which site search I think it would be helpful to add something that separates the three from one another. Rather than extending the space between each one enough to create separation a divider of some type that doesn't require much horizontal space.

Placing the 3 within a <table> command having an outline of 1 or 2 pixels then giving each of the 3 their own column within a single row would put a line around each one that separates them from one another without adding much horizontal space. Which might be compensated for by slightly shortening the width of each search box.

Just thoughts. No reply or explanation necessary or expected.

Jim

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2019 at 8:42pm
There is not an option of where to place the poll. The first response is the only place to explain what you are trying to achieve.  The questions are limited in length. 

I modified it so if you are not logged in you can vote.
Obviously going forward it may be best to scrutinize having non logged in people vote.

Logging in does help us know you visit.

We are still looking into the format. I figured let's pick a location to better shake down the code and how it effects the display.

I agree we need a separation for the boxes.
 Post Reply Post Reply