Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

opinions on these WRA sights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: opinions on these WRA sights
    Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 3:11pm
hello all, 

New member here, I'm concerned the front and rear sights I've purchased are reproductions. They were not advertised as reproductions and were quite expensive. I'm looking for opinions if I got swindled. Thanks in advance. 

edit took new pictures with a flash

Edited by palmettopilot - Jan 14 2021 at 4:34pm
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 3:32pm
Hello, and welcome! I am a new member here as well and the long time members here have been super helpful. 

Did you buy them as a set or separately? 

The real experts here will have to chime in, but the front sight looks 100% bogus to me. 

The finish looks like some kind of paint, more consistant with what I have seen on my buddie's Universal carbine. 

palmettopilot View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by bzh362 bzh362 wrote:

Hello, and welcome! I am a new member here as well and the long time members here have been super helpful. 

Did you buy them as a set or separately? 

The real experts here will have to chime in, but the front sight looks 100% bogus to me. 

The finish looks like some kind of paint, more consistant with what I have seen on my buddie's Universal carbine. 

I purchased separate but now I'm worried about both. the front sight doesn't look like paint up close. At least not like paint on a cheap repro bayonet. I cant chip it either. It's covered in cosmoline. But I'm worried they are fakes. 
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 3:42pm
Have you compared to the sight types on this page?

I would get the cosmoline off first so that the color / type of finish will be more apparent. 

Just saw new pics you put up too. Metal looks really rough, and the color is still too black IMHO. Might be a re-finish. Does it look like there are casting lines anywhere on it? 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 4:12pm

Have you compared to the sight types on this page?

I would get the cosmoline off first so that the color / type of finish will be more apparent. 

Just saw new pics you put up too. Metal looks really rough, and the color is still too black IMHO. Might be a re-finish. Does it look like there are casting lines anywhere on it? 

it lighted up a little. Maybe a casting line on the bottom?

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 4:13pm
Get the cosmo off then retake the pictures on a flat color background. I cant tell a darn thing with all that shine.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Get the cosmo off then retake the pictures on a flat color background. I cant tell a darn thing with all that shine.

just got it clean and updated the pics. 
carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 4:39pm
The front sight looks like one of the smooth cast front sights. Not at all like the typical rough forged look of a Lyman front sight. The L also looks too deep, should be very thin lines.

The rear sight also appears to be repro sadly.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by carbinekid carbinekid wrote:

The front sight looks like one of the smooth cast front sights. Not at all like the typical rough forged look of a Lyman front sight. The L also looks too deep, should be very thin lines.

The rear sight also appears to be repro sadly.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I ordered from Riverbank armory, because they were labeled originals......good thing Navy Fed is excellent with fraud. 
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 5:53pm
Original repros. RB is well known for their fakes and that appears to be one of them.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 5:57pm
What is the tip off for the rear sight? I see really similar looking stuff on ebay fairly often. I noticed the lettering was stamped deeper on this one than on my rear sight, but anything else?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 6:29pm

What is the tip off for the rear sight? I see really similar looking stuff on ebay fairly often.

You answered your own question.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

What is the tip off for the rear sight? I see really similar looking stuff on ebay fairly often.

You answered your own question.

Zing, I deserved that one, lol
bzh362 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bzh362 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 6:46pm
Here's my rear sight on my QHMC, and under is OP's rear sight. They look similar enough given different manufacturers? What am I missing?

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 8:27pm
In time you'll be able to tell. That's the answer. Nobody is going to tell you how because it doesn't help the hobby.

It's the question that gets asked multiple times per year and the answer is, if you stay engaged for a few years you'll be able to start being able to tell. If you want real sights, don't buy on auction sights unless there's a guarantee from a seller with a reputation or selling real sights. And more importantly if you think you can collect if he's BSing you. And on ebay you can almost bank on getting BSed. Just don't bother buying there if you can't tell. There are 6 flip auctions there now, and only one is real. The rest will just lie to you that they're real USGI.

Keep in mind that some people don't want to deal with newer enthusiasts because they bang about not knowing what they're looking for and getting advanced people pitting against each other.

Now the front Winchester sight people will tell you it will be a rounded rear ear shape. That hard knee of the OP's sight isn't Winchester. Look at some Winchesters that are legitimate originals and compare the parts. You'll get better with time.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by palmettopilot palmettopilot wrote:

hello all, 

New member here, I'm concerned the front and rear sights I've purchased are reproductions. They were not advertised as reproductions and were quite expensive. I'm looking for opinions if I got swindled. Thanks in advance. 

edit took new pictures with a flash

You should put all those individual pics on one page. After loading your first photo on imgur scroll the screen down to where it says ADD another photo or something like that.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 10:21pm
For those who just want a flip sight, and know it is a repro-
just buy an IN-B from Sarco for 19.95.

They are the source of many of the sights you see sold by others on ebay , priced at $37.95 to $110 or $119.95 for thesame $19.95 IN-B sight from Sarco.

If you see an IN-B on ebay, expect it to be a reproduction! So just buy a known repro-
that way you will not pay "too much" for a reproduction. ;)
Don
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2021 at 11:23pm
palmettopilot,
Sorry I got all this started. When I seen your parts I just figured you were trying to put together a version of a WRA. So I wasn't out to pick your parts apart as being correct per serial number. I questioned your sight after a long day because the finish color jumped out at me. That and L stamped Frt sights weren't that common.

With that said, It's not a Lyman made sight. You'll hear / read about guys using the Thumbnail / Fingernail milling pattern behind the blade as to being proof it's a Lyman for WRA sight. Not the correct way to ID a Lyman. Here's what you need to look for:

1st Picture: RMC on the left. WRA on the right.
The curved side profile of the top of the outer ears and rear side is a common trait found on Lyman sights.
Note the rounder contour on the top and rear lobe of the WRA sight and the overall coarser / more aggressive milling on the complete outside to include a single full length milling line-usually near the bottom center:

Your L Sight:

WRA on left, RMC on right
See how the WRA ear has more of a rounded top and curved rear slope compared to the Rock Ola's flatter top and steeper / straighter back downhill edge:

The Thumbnail or Fingernail Milling behind the Sight Blade is often used to ID a WRA / Lyman sight. This isn't correct, though Lyman did use a larger more aggressive cutting bit, other makers can be similar.

RMC TR marked sight on top, WRA on bottom. Both show a thumbnail milling style

Here is a Niedner made sight marked N with a Thumbnail milling mark. These are often found with a raised line from the rear bevel to the back of the blade with the N stamped on it or other markings. 
Note the size and location of the Rear Beveled Shelf on the very back. These 3 examples are the same. CC Nl #32 has more info about rear sights.
To Add: Most Cast sights have a casting line that wraps around it, like wrapping a string thru one ear hole around the base to the other ear hole (Technically- Light hole)

HTH,
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmettopilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2021 at 11:26am
Charlie, 

I appreciate your vigilance and taking the time to instruct me. Those parts are on their way back and I'll hold out for authentic parts. I appreciate each and every one of you that took the time to reply to me. Thank you. 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2021 at 6:59pm
The Frt sight you returned I believe was a RIA Milled one that had the RIA Blasted off and re-finished.
Here's one still marked RIA on Auction that appears just like your returned one:

I have another PM heading your way
Ch-P777

Edited by painter777 - Jan 15 2021 at 8:40pm
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>