Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

O=Overton?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: O=Overton?
    Posted: May 27 2017 at 4:50pm
I have a 2.8 Underwood with an 11-43 barrel. The only thing in the sling-well is "O".....just an O. From what I think I know, this indicates an S.E. Overton? I have no "I" or any other character...just an O.

Confirmation anyone?
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 5:15pm
I've seen more than a few O's (partial or otherwise) in the slingwells of Pedersen Brothers stocks. Usually, the O looking thing is at the 9:00 O'clock position if you can visualize that. If it really is a Pedersen Bros. stock then there's a chance it could be the original to your UEF, but who knows.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 5:39pm
I can crop a section of the well in a picture, but I can't seem to get t saved as a pix...only pasted as a word document.  I may try and attach a picture and someone can download it and zoom in. If you hold the stock up straight like you intend to shoulder it, the O is dead-center of the well about 1/3 way down the beginning of the bevel. There may be some characters after the O, but nothing in front. It's an Israel import...pretty sure of that, but it bears no import mark that I can locate. I am also pretty sure the stock could be original to the gun. It's "been-around".

I'll see if I can get a picture inserted here in a bit.

EDIT:
Nope. After I reduce the image for uploading, it's not detailed enough to zoom in on. All I can do is e-mail a full-size photo and it can be zoomed in to view the sling-well. If somebody is willing....you can PM me your e-mail address and I'll assure you it will remain private.

P.S.

I take Pederson Bros. to be a P-U. This character is definitely an O and not a miss-struck P.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 6:14pm
Zoom in on this, or download it and zoom.

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 7:05pm
If that's your stock, then you have a Q-RMC stock made for Quality Hardware.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 7:19pm
Ahhh...Hahh! That makes sense. There sort-of seemed to be some characters after what I called an O and Q-RMC seems to fit the puzzle. It still surely looks like an O though.

Thanks!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 7:33pm
Yea, I don' think the Q-RMC stamps were the deepest or most complete by far. Most of them can be read, but many are partial or almost non-existent.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2017 at 7:47pm
The box like appearance around the Q-RMC can also be a dead giveaway to the stock's identity.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 12:37am
and the picture is gone?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 7:28am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

and the picture is gone?

Don't know what happened to the picture...I inserted another one.
 Post Reply Post Reply