The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OK, I've got my silly Carbine question of the week

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OK, I've got my silly Carbine question of the week
    Posted: Apr 02 2021 at 7:21pm
Barrel band screws. How did they rig it so the screw has that "flat" after they mount it?

Reason I ask is I changed the barrel band on my Plainfield a couple months ago to a Type 2 Fulton Armory sells just because I hated the screw the Plainfield had on it.

I noticed the new one didn't have the screw flattened out like "normal" barrel bands I'm used to.

Not a big deal, I'm prepping the Plainfield for a day at the range tomorrow and thought of it. It sucks only taking 1 Carbine. Thank God for .22....my 10/22 is keeping me sane right now. I'm almost tempted to buy one of those Chiappa M-1 Carbine abortions but friends don't let friends by anything Chiappa 
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2021 at 7:53pm
There's a note on the Department of the Army Ordnance drawing for the barrel band assembly that says, "Spin to prevent disassembly". That's a note to deform or flatten the last thread of the screw after assembly. I suspect a commercial barrel band would not necessarily have that feature. I know that "original" replacement screws are not deformed and are easily removable. Just a note, my experience is that the screw will strip before the threads in the nut plate. The screw can be pretty soft (RC 20-30).
JackP
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2021 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

There's a note on the Department of the Army Ordnance drawing for the barrel band assembly that says, "Spin to prevent disassembly". That's a note to deform or flatten the last thread of the screw after assembly. I suspect a commercial barrel band would not necessarily have that feature. I know that "original" replacement screws are not deformed and are easily removable. Just a note, my experience is that the screw will strip before the threads in the nut plate. The screw can be pretty soft (RC 20-30).

I figured they flattened the last thread. I need to bring a tool home from work I use for that there 
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2021 at 9:10pm
A vise, a screw driver and a small hammer.
Put the screw driver in the vise with the tip pointing up, place the installed head of the screw on the tip of the screw driver  to prevent damaging it and give the last thread a whack with the hammer. 
A coin in the vise will also work.
Cheers
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2021 at 10:21pm
FYI, I checked my only commercial barrel band, a Universal, and found that the screw was never deformed or peened to prevent disassembly. I also noted that it was shorter than a USGI screw. I never bothered to deform the threads on the two screws that I have replaced on other USGI carbines and I never had the nut plate threads strip. I also noticed that the screws on all of my Type 1 barrel bands were not peened like the screws on Type 2 or 3's and could be easily removed. Also, they were obviously longer than on Type 2 or 3's.

Questions to Club members;

1) Are the screws on your commercial barrel bands peened to prevent disassembly?

2) Are the screws on your Type 1 USGI barrel bands peened to prevent disassembly?

3) Have you ever had a stripped nut plate on a Type 2 or 3 USGI barrel band that could not be fixed by just replacing the screw?

4) Have you been able to correct a stripped screw by only replacing the screw?

JackP
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2021 at 11:22pm
1) I've only had two commercial type 2 and both were not peened
2) I have had numerous type 1 bands across manufacturers and none of them has had a peened screw
3) One type 2 I bought had the peened screw removed, a new screw did the trick but it wasn't as tight as an untouched one. Also had one type 3 where the nut plate was totally stripped and a new screw wouldn't work. Embarrassingly this was my doing a number of years ago, I had my head somewhere else and before you know it the screw was through and the threads trashed. Only a $15 replacement band though..
4) never had a stripped band screw.
I did buy a box of USGI surplus parts and there were some NOS short band screws in there. I was surprised to find the ends were peened already... That did not make sense to me. Perfect finish and had never seen a screwdriver. I needed one and ran them through a die to clean them up, that worked.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2021 at 11:25pm
@JackP, Type 1 band screws were not staked (peened) that's why lost swivels are so common. Screw staking started with the Type 2 bands.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bungalow Bill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungalow Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2021 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Questions to Club members;

1) Are the screws on your commercial barrel bands peened to prevent disassembly?

Not on my Universal. Just a regular screw with a normal slotted head, not the oddly shaped one that works with an empty cartridge case. 
 Post Reply Post Reply