Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oilers Marked II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oilers Marked II
    Posted: Sep 17 2018 at 3:29pm
I have an oiler marked "II" that has a cap with a straight knurl instead of the checkered knurl typically seen. I just assumed it was a reproduction but since have seen others on Ebay described as "early" USGI. Is this is correct?
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2018 at 11:13pm
Considering it was made by International Silver I would expect it to be like all the others made by them. As to it being early I do not believe it has ever been documented.
Ebay sellers are not a good source for research. Some research how to tell a story that sells better. Pictures would help.

Edit to add; the cut in stock with oiler and sling attachment patent shows a knurled knob.

There is a wide tabbed cap oiler which is seen for sale advertised as the very early to fit I cut stocks. It is not a carbine oiler and does not fit the stock.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 10:02am
There are fake II oilers on the market, the font being a key tipoff.

While some eBay and GB sellers aren't the best source of information, the stuff they sell can be. There's plenty of stuff to look at on both sites, more than forum based sites like this one and others for instance. I have seen lots of unusual carbine related items (real and not) on eBay and GB that made me wonder enough to check one source or another, if I didn't already know. One early lesson I learned is the more sources perused , none them are perfect, the better.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 10:44am
Here are some pics. This oiler is blued, not parkerized. It has a fiber washer. Also, note the flat on the end of the dispenser, all my others are plain. Like I said, I just assumed this was a repro because of the straight knurl and wanted a second opinion. I am not really looking for an "II" oiler to add to my collection, just curious.

JackP
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2018 at 4:01pm
There's a repro on https://www.worldwarsupply.com/cart/Carbine-Sling-Oiler-1 that looks like your pics and I've seen them on eBay.  M1 Carbine oilers do not have the tip of the rod flattened and the cap edges are knurled in a checkered patter, not straight cuts. The top and bottom of the I on originals, be it any of the International Silver oilers, are a straight intersection where these appear to have a taper where they intersect. 

As for the wide tabbed cap oiler New2brass was referring, here's a site with them for sale which provides a good picture.  I have seen others trying to sell them by quoting a book (no name mentioned) that states them as early M1 Carbine oiler.  These are for the M2 Hyde-Inland sub machine gun.  https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1386

BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2018 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

There's a repro on https://www.worldwarsupply.com/cart/Carbine-Sling-Oiler-1 that looks like your pics and I've seen them on eBay.  M1 Carbine oilers do not have the tip of the rod flattened and the cap edges are knurled in a checkered patter, not straight cuts. The top and bottom of the I on originals, be it any of the International Silver oilers, are a straight intersection where these appear to have a taper where they intersect. 

As for the wide tabbed cap oiler New2brass was referring, here's a site with them for sale which provides a good picture.  I have seen others trying to sell them by quoting a book (no name mentioned) that states them as early M1 Carbine oiler.  These are for the M2 Hyde-Inland sub machine gun.  https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1386

Jackp's pictures sure look a lot like the pictures of the ones being sold by Worldwarsupply.com.  Coincidence or fake...I am to new at this stuff to say for sure, but I would lean towards Jack's being a repro.
Semper Fi, Bruce
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 1:13pm
Based on my research, Inland Manufacturing Division of GM was the manufacturer of oilers marked "II" and International Silver was the subcontractor. In early 1943, International Silver requested to eliminate prime contractor markings from the oilers. From that point on, all oilers were marked "IS" only.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 2:37pm
Jack, I have an oiler that is identical to yours. Straight knurl cap and blued finish. It is either a 1942-1943 International Silver (Inland) original or a reproduction for the same period. I will keep researching in an attempt to answer if this oiler is real or repro.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 6:11pm
Oilers marked II were made by International silver as a subcontract to Inland.

There is no evidence of any other subcontractor making oilers under contract to for the prime manufactures. 

I am sure someone will point out the SW for Winchester. According to Bill Ricca these were made by Stanley Works, but not for Winchester.
It is uncertain if spares or for the greasegun.

As to the II oiler pictures, Sling00 posted a convincing argument that these were in fact repro
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 7:09pm
Dan, Thanks for the reference to Sling00. As you stated, pretty convincing argument that these "II" oilers are reproductions.
 Post Reply Post Reply