Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OG inside a square

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OG inside a square
    Posted: Jun 17 2016 at 2:13pm
     I recently purchased a Standard Products M1. There is an OG inside a square on the stock, right in front of RRA. I know RRA is Red River Arsenal, but I can't find any information on the OG. I'm new to carbines; this is only my second one, so please excuse my ignorance. One thing I did find interesting, the butt plate is marked PM-IP. Thanks in advance.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2016 at 2:59pm
I'm away from my reference books at the moment, but IIRC, it's an Ogden Arsenal rebuild marking.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Tony70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2016 at 3:42pm
Thanks for the information. The stock is a Standard Products, so I'll assume it's been rebuilt twice. The more I learn about carbines; the more it makes me question everything about them.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2016 at 8:53pm
As stated, OG is for Odgen Arsneal. Arsenal information here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html

The buttplate is for an Irwin Pedersen.
Tony70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2016 at 10:24pm
Thanks to you as well. I perused this site pretty well and somehow missed that.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2016 at 7:26am
You're welcome and welcome to the forum. I've missed things on Jim's carbine site as well. Lot of fantastic info to digest. Some look down on arsenal marks, but not me. The marks show where a carbine has been. Just wondering, but has your stock been sporterized?
Tony70 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2016 at 9:54am
The stock hasn't been sportorized. Someone put a very light coat of poly on it. The stock retains the Standard Product marks. Both of my carbines are rebuilds, each have the RRA mark. Both guns are in excellent condition. The Standard Products has a 12-43 Underwood barrel that is the best I've ever seen. I'm fine with rebuild marks. I want a gun I can shoot, handle, and take apart without fear of hurting the value. Not to mention, I don't want to pay the price for a all original type 1.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2016 at 7:31am
I, too, appreciate rebuilds. They can be had for less and especially in the M1A1 world, are a real money saver.
 Post Reply Post Reply