Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NPM Flip on Early Inland ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NPM Flip on Early Inland ?
    Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 3:58pm
Recently came across a post on another forum with a Inland 147,90x barrel dated 2-43.
It has a NPM flip sight on it.
Base marked RN, Leaf appears to be marked RN.
Owner believes it to be Original. 

Haven't got the best pictures posted for view.
I'm taking in to account that NPM didn't ship out there first 1000 carbines until 2-13-43 and finding no records that I'm aware of until Inlands use of other makers flip sights until the early 5,0 mil range.

I do see flip sight parts / assemblies being integrated from NPM to Inland in March of 44.

Possible field replacement because of a damaged original?
Undocumented transfer....? 
Another thought is the pictures lacking detail and hiding stakes.... Or filled stakes.
Could it be possible that another Prime maker had requested and received rear sights from NPM. Then if this other Prime maker had a request from Inland for rear sights, the NPM sight could have been mixed in with that delivery.

It does look like it's been on a long time, but I find it unlikely the original. I have never seen a report of one this early with another makers sight.

I zoomed on this picture along with another member who circled a spot.
Reply was it is a Shadow.

Am I missing something?

Little help and opinions welcomed.

Ch-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 5:14pm
I think it's wishful thinking to believe this sight is original to this carbine. Six Carbines of the Month in this Date/Serial Number range have "W-I" marked leafs with unmarked bases (CCNL 237-4 & 5, 256-3, 276-2, 304-7, 343-13). Several others have unmarked leafs (CCNL 116-6, 144-4 & 5, 331-5) but there are none from other prime contractors.

Nice pictures, though.
JackP
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 7:07pm
Picture 1 circled in red shows the shadow cast by the spring. Picture 2 shows what looks like a circular mark on the dovetail and the light shadow is cast on the rear sight above the dovetail.

I’d like to see better pics of the rear sight RN marking and machining for comparison purposes. Page 2 in Newsworthy section might also help.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 7:09pm
Jack,
I call those strategic pictures. I looked over the COM's along with Newscotlanders write ups on Inlands 1st and 2nd serial number blocks. And the noted part transfers to Inland from NPM.
A few years ago I talked/messaged with Newscotlander about a Inland near this range with a different makers flip on it. He made things pretty clear that it didn't happen, except of course in to the 5,0 serial range. And I do own a 5,0 with a UEF flip.

The owner of this one above has dug his heals in. When I asked for better angled pictures thru PM he refused. 

"Wishful thinking" nails it down pretty well.
It may be a possibility IF it was a early replacement for a damaged original flip..... But what are the odds of 2 flips being R and R'd without showing on the dovetails or any staking having to be done ?
It just doesn't seem to pass the smell test.

As always appreciate your input,

Charlie-P777 
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 7:23pm
March of 43 NPM was not in postiion to be shipping parts to other makers, that said if maker of RN made sights for Inland very plausible just a mix up and very plausible for field repair, barracks repair or maybe interchangability test--no idea--no go pros back then to see what happened--it is a $200 sight either way!
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 7:21am
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 8:44am
I would think that a 147xxx carbine would have a black oxide finish and not a phosphate finish. The carbine shown above appears to have a phosphate finish which throws doubt into the originality of the NPM flip sight. More photos of the barrel and receiver below the wood line would be helpful.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

Maybe I'm just "dense", please explain.

Whenever and by whom the sight was installed, it has been there for a while!
Don
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 10:54am
300 dollars would be the value of that particular RN flip sight versus someone else in an earlier post saying it was worth 200.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by NewScotlander NewScotlander wrote:

I would think that a 147xxx carbine would have a black oxide finish and not a phosphate finish. The carbine shown above appears to have a phosphate finish which throws doubt into the originality of the NPM flip sight. More photos of the barrel and receiver below the wood line would be helpful.

I fully agree with your comments. Most all my Inland notes have been copied from you.

The owner, Seems like the type of guy not worth the effort.
Hate to say that, but surely you've come across similar types.
Sometimes you just gotta move along.

My Father used to say "If you play in it your bound to get it on you and end up smelling like it."

Appreciate your reply Chris,

Charlie-P777
 Post Reply Post Reply