The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie with a Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2019 at 9:27pm
"assigned to support the 21st ARVN Div as an FO for them way down south in the Mekong Delta, little place called CaMau, very interesting climate and terrain."

No thank you!  That was bad "Ju-Ju" down in the Delta!

I fired a mission from the New Jersey in late 1968 up around Cua Viet...used 1st ANGLICO as my liaison. That was an experience I'll never forget.  I was in a "danger close" proximity to the target and the ship was about 20 miles away.  They put the first 16" HE dead center of the target area!  The next 23 rounds were just icing on the cake. Thumbs Up

Semper Fi, Bruce
USMCFO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USMCFO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2019 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by BER911 BER911 wrote:

"assigned to support the 21st ARVN Div as an FO for them way down south in the Mekong Delta, little place called CaMau, very interesting climate and terrain."

No thank you!  That was bad "Ju-Ju" down in the Delta!

I fired a mission from the New Jersey in late 1968 up around Cua Viet...used 1st ANGLICO as my liaison. That was an experience I'll never forget.  I was in a "danger close" proximity to the target and the ship was about 20 miles away.  They put the first 16" HE dead center of the target area!  The next 23 rounds were just icing on the cake. Thumbs Up

That is an incredible experience. Never had the pleasure of calling in a 16 inch Naval gun, but if I remember my training, those 16 inch projectiles weigh around 2,000 pounds, basically a one ton bullet, that is close to what my car weighs, incredible, thinking about a bullet weighing as much as a car being so accurate. A testament to your bravery and ability as an FO, Danger Close situation, and testament to the gun / turrett crew on the New Jersey, their skills were incredible, lauching a 2000 lb projectile like that off what is basically a floating / moving platform using technology from many decades ago.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2019 at 9:53pm
Yes, they were just over 2000 lbs projectiles.  Each shell was like having a old VW Beetle hurled 20 miles through the air.

You are correct in your assessment...the ship was moving at about 20 knots while firing the salvo. Amazing technology for the late 60's when you stop and think about it!  

Semper Fi, Bruce
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 8:16am
Here is what my photo looked like when it was taken in January 1968.  My friend Dan brought it back to it's original look with the work of his magic.  Looks great.  Thanks Dan!

Semper Fi, Bruce
USMCFO View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USMCFO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by BER911 BER911 wrote:

Here is what my photo looked like when it was taken in January 1968.  My friend Dan brought it back to it's original look with the work of his magic.  Looks great.  Thanks Dan!

Outstanding Photo!  Thanks for posting. 

Semper Fi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image