Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.04 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Topic - Collector Grade Books Signed LR Collection
Posted: Dec 21 2022 at 7:03pm By Marty Black
In regards to New2brass's post "Here is the first box of books I mentioned," scroll down until you see two softbound booklets - one in blue, one in beige - entitled "Guide to Collecting the M1 Carbine," by Robert Gibson.

From a purely historical (for me, very sentimental) standpoint, this is THE booklet to have if you are interested in the history of collecting the carbine. This booklet was published in 1976, before the Carbine Club existed, and before Larry Ruth - or anyone else for that matter - had written a book about collecting carbines. Except for small articles in the NRA's "American Rifleman" magazine, we had nothing to help us understand the carbine and guide us in carbine collecting.

Robert Gibson was the first to give carbine enthusiasts something factual to sink our teeth into. It is 62 pages long, and I still refer to my copy from time to time. It is dog-eared and full of handwritten notes that I scribbled in the margins. But I love it and respect Mr. Gibson for writing such an interesting and informative guide by himself so early on.

Robert Gibson was the first carbine collector author/pioneer, whom no one has ever heard of! :-)

PS: Dan Pinto has reminded me that Paul Wahl wrote the first civilian carbine manual/guide in 1964, but as I remember, it wasn't geared toward collectors. I discarded my copy, but carried my Gibson book to every gun show.

Regards, mb

Edited by Marty Black - Dec 21 2022 at 8:13pm

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.141 seconds.