The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Club Requests and Member Submissions > Post Reply
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply - US Navy Carbines

Name:

Emoticons
Smile Tongue Wink
Cry Big smile LOL
Dead Embarrassed Confused
Clap Angry Ouch
Star Shocked Sleepy
more...
   NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Powered by Web Wiz CAPTCHA version 4.04 wwf
Copyright ©2005-2013 Web Wiz
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.

Posted: Nov 29 2020 at 1:50am By UGOTGUMJOE
I own a carbine taken off a PT boat in the South Pacific in the Philippines in 1945 when the U.S. Navy gathered togather all the war weary boats in the combat zone.  Manila Bay ? They were stripped of usable equipment, tied togather in a large group and set afire !  Dozens of boats Burned to the waterline then sunk. 
   The man I purchased the gun from had been walking down a pier in Manila harbor, about to board his ship to sail back to the States, when a sailor in a landing craft tied up to the pier asked him if he wanted a souvenir....” I’ll sell you a Carbine for ten bucks...” he called out.  The LCI was loaded with guns and gear to be discarded in the ocean, so this enterprising swabbie was making a fast buck and preventing good weapons from being wasted.  My sailor paid the asking price and received a nice gun which he kept for the next 50+ years until he walked  into my Army Surplus store looking to sell it. 
   Attached to the stock is a property tag bearing marking indicating ownership to a “MTB Squadron __” along with a rack number !  Once I saw the tag, I asked the fellow a few specific questions about the manner in which he acquired this weapon, as I knew the story of the decommissioning of the PT boat fleet in 1945.   He was totally ignorant of the tag being on the stock and was not asking a huge price for his $10 prize, so I gladly paid his price and thanked him. 
   “ MTB “ is the official U.S. Navy designation MOTOR TORPEDO BOAT abbreviation from the pre-Pearl Harbor days. 

The carbine is locked away in my safe and I am wary of posting photographs of the tag lest the phony fakers decide to ‘get creative’....Sadly I cannot quote a maker or features from my memory as I write this. To lay my hands on it will require 2-3 hours of sorting and searching.  I will find it and amend this posting ASAP.  It IS a personal favorite firearm, and a real piece of History ! 

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.125 seconds.