The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to the M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the M1 Carbine
    Posted: Nov 01 2021 at 10:59pm
I've been shooting the better part of 40 years. So much so, I have a fairly diverse and pragmatic collection of modern and black powder firearms, as well as pulled the trigger on a fair amount of training.

I have recently drawn an interest in US military and US military type firearms. Probably because as I've grown older, I am drawn to older things.

After recently obtaining an CMP M1 and M14 clone, I've saw a civilian M1 Carbine for what I presumed to be a better than reasonable price based upon a quick web search, and the impulse bug bit me after the shop's gunsmith told me that after he cleaned and tightened it up, it ran properly with 10 rounds.

So I picked up a Universal, Gen 3 carbine with a few boxes of ammunition.

It was my hope to make it a bit more authentic by attaching a bayonet lug and bayonet, as I did with the M1 and M14, but it would seem from everything I read to date, that the USGI Barrel Band and Bayonet Lug probably won't fit on this rifle. If I am mistaken, someone please let me know.

In any event, I'm happy to be here and looking forward to learning a bit more about this rifle.
Matt_X View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt_X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2021 at 8:44am
Welcome.  I can't help you too much with the specifics of your Universal, but the first thing I'd do is see how it runs.  
On a standard barrel, changing the barrel band involves the somewhat difficult procedure of removing the front sight.  You could look through old ads and sales brochures but I suspect the Universal was not offered with a bayonette barrel band.    The reason so many of the originals have the bayonnette type band reflects the large number that went through post-WW2 rebuilding programs, not original manufacture.  Only a relatively small percentage were originally made with that barrel band, and only a few of those got into the hands of troops before the cessation of hostilities.

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2021 at 9:07am
The type III band will fit, but the bayonet might not. The position of the front sight will not allow it to lock into place. The gen-3 front sight being secured with a set-screw might allow some adjustment, but I think some of those were set with adhesive as well. I’d first loosen the set screw and see if the front sight will move. I had to split one on a Universal to get it off.  
Steelhorse View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2021 at 10:09am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

The type III band will fit, but the bayonet might not. The position of the front sight will not allow it to lock into place. The gen-3 front sight being secured with a set-screw might allow some adjustment, but I think some of those were set with adhesive as well. I’d first loosen the set screw and see if the front sight will move. I had to split one on a Universal to get it off.

Thank you for the information.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2021 at 6:09pm
I am fairly sure Universal made a bayonet lug. I may be thinking a type 2 band for the heavy barrel?

The comemorative carbine on the universal pages has a t3 band and comes with a bayonet.
Then again might be a regular sized barrel
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2021 at 6:48pm
The gen-1’s I have had/handled were early enough to wear a pinned and keyed USGI style front sight, but due to the placement, would not allow the bayo-catch to fully engage over the t3 lug, which were post-war USGI. I have only closely observed/handled one with a set-screw mounted sight, which would not accept the bayo either. The bayo guard slams against the front of the sight and the catch wouldn’t latch over the lug.

This is only my experience and we all understand a t3 band is the best for shooting accuracy regardless of bayonet use, so it’s wise to install one if for only that reason…maybe. I just wouldn’t purchase a t3 and install it until I knew it would fit.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image