The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Latest eNewsletter Release Available! Check the Newsworthy Items Section

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new to me plainfield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to me plainfield
    Posted: Apr 12 2019 at 10:18pm
Hi guys, I have a new to me plainfield m1 carbine. I am onlyt having one issue right now and hopefully it it is a mag issue not a headspace issue. If I load 1 round it ejects perfectly, anything more and on occasion it is having failure to extract from the chamber. I do not have any facilities to measure headspace. Anyone out there have any tips to share with this newby? thanks in advance
THE oldfart69
W5USMC View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2019 at 11:04pm
A few possible causes.
Check the extractor claw for damage or excessive wear.
The extractor spring could be broken, weak or missing.
Dirty or pitted chamber.
Short recoil, does the gas piston move freely.
Gas port clogged.
Operating slide arm twisted or bent.
What ammo are you shooting, is it possibly under powered.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
bonnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2019 at 8:52am
Adding to what W5USMC posted.

As old as a Plainfield is and not knowing the history of it why not go ahead and replace these old parts with new?
A new recoil spring, extractor with spring and ejector with spring are not very expensive. I would use only USGI parts and stay away from so called "high speed" replacement springs.
You would also need a bolt tool to disassemble/assemble the bolt, which is good to have anyway.

A good recoil spring should be aound 10.25" in length. 10" or less and the spring is wore out

A 9mm bore brush make a good chamber brush for the carbine.

A few decent USGI 15 round magazines and some good commercial FMJ ammunition.

Does not sound like a headspace issue to me at this time.

I have had several Plainfields in years past and these are decent commercial carbines.
oldfart69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

A few possible causes.
Check the extractor claw for damage or excessive wear.
The extractor spring could be broken, weak or missing.
Dirty or pitted chamber.
Short recoil, does the gas piston move freely.
Gas port clogged.
Operating slide arm twisted or bent.
What ammo are you shooting, is it possibly under powered.
 first thanks for your service.
I am using either remington 110g sp ammo, or aquila 110 fmj right now. that is all that seems to be at my lgs's . I have dies, powder, and 110g fmj bullets and am planning to use  allaint 2400 powder as soon as it all gets here.  The recoil spring is 10 ¾" long. The guide rod was caked with crud and now is clean and flitzed, Gas port looks good operating  looks in good alignment with the gas block and the assembly moves freely. I cleaned the chamber with Hoppe's #9 then swabbed it our and used my moto tool with a 90 degree attachment to flitz out the chamber (but have not yet returned to the range) . As I said in my first post, I have ordered 2 new factory mags, they are not here yet. I think the old 40 round mag that came with it may be the issue as it cycles fine with a single load.  Thant is about it for now, will return to the range next week then all the bits and pieces are here and installed. Thanks for all your help.
THE oldfart69
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2019 at 3:17pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

40 round magazine? That might be the problem.
JackP
oldfart69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfart69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2019 at 1:30am
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

40 round magazine? That might be the problem.

sorry, 30, old fingers sometimes miss keys. 
THE oldfart69
 Post Reply Post Reply