Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Rockola marking found?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rockola marking found?
    Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 10:39am
Is this actually a Rockola marking that I didn't know about? Because it's advertised as one by an experienced Carbine person. It's Inland, right?

M1 Carbine, Sear. Rock-Ola. R marked. WWII

81MM A+(10703)
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 10:51am
I saw that sear the other day and thought the same thing. I for one trust this seller 100%, but in this case he may be mistaken. Looks like an R.I. sear to me with a light strike on the I. I think you can make it out in his pic.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 11:50am
81mm is a fine, honest gentleman.  I am sure if someone points out that it is most likely an Inland sear,
he would adjust that ad accordingly.
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 12:17pm
Eddie has been doing this since way before I was involved and wanted to make sure there is no R overmarked type I sear for Rockola that I wasn't aware of. If it's a mistake, I notice that the mistakes from very experienced sellers never benefit the buyer. Always the seller. He's selling a Cowles post war low C type III barrel band as Winchester. Is it actually for Winchester? $65. That's a serious question. Monte sells then for almost half that as post war for any maker.

I've bought from most of the experienced sellers, including Eddie once.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 12:24pm
I believe that there is a type 1 R-Ola sear that is just marked with an R.
WB and Riesch mention it as a marking.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 12:33pm
There is a lot I don't know, especially regarding earliest Rockola marks. There's a couple of R overstamps I've learned about over time, so this seriously is a learning expedition about that sear. And that was to learn if it's a Rockola or is it like the R marked front sights sellers for profit list as Rockola which are not?

The goal is learning of the markings and learning for buyers. Eddie is one of the daily quoted sources on the CMP forum for breaking up Carbines to sell in pieces.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 12:38pm
There is an R marked sear for Rockola, That one is not consistent with what I have observed.
It is in several books as well as the newsletters.
Eddy is a long time member and contributor to the club. I cannot fault him if he has not seen an actual one to compare.

I would not put him in the same category of mercenaries/profiteers we see on the internet and lately some of the forums.

If any other of the unscrupulous sellers listed it would be 100 bucks, not the 19 dollars he has it listed for.

Eddy has made errors and when pointed out he adjusts the description accordingly. 

Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 12:58pm
81MM [Eddie ] is an honest seller , he sells good USGI parts and if its not USGI it will say so in the description . I believe this sear is Inland there should be an I to the right of the R . Early Rock-ola sears Have a single R but facing a different direction .
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 1:00pm
So how about the Cowles low C post war barrel band advertised as made for Winchester? If he's a CC member and contributor I guess that really is made for Winchester then? Cause I thought it was just for any maker.

His slide prices are 111 to 121. Eddie is known for selling real items, and being honest about parts in question. I wasn't aware he is a member here or a contributor. What's his username here? I know he buys Carbines to resell in parts on gunbroker for profit and I bought an IPN front sight from him once about 6 yrs ago. He was comfortable to deal with. Not cheap though.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 1:28pm
Do not twist what I am saying. Just being a club member does not automatically mean that you should know everything carbine related. I cannot say that he read the newsletters. I said he contributed. Mostly in sharing parts observed without comment of who made them. 
Early on nobody collecting knew the breadth of parts markings. These reports from members helped fill in the gaps

Bill Ricca also sold parts for more than going price. What's your point?
Humpers sell fake parts all the time for more and they have positive reviews.
Bill also sold parts for profit, It is what he did for a living. 
I do not know if surplus sales are Eddy's main source of income, but he certainly has sold far more than the average seller.

C Cowles made parts for Winchester. I believe there is more information out there to be found as there are at least 3 C markings with a possible 4th.
Saying the C band is Winchester is like guys saying HI stocks are Inland. Technically incorrect.
I will capitulate the postwar would make it more inaccurate. 
Just the same a different seller would be asking $100 or more for the band and get it.

If you look at all of Eddy's auctions you will see some glaring errors. I am not even talking about the description. To err is human...............

One of the points of the club is to educate its members. The downside is the mercenaries that use that info to make a quick buck.

So maybe we should stay focused on condemning the humpers, inform those we can. 
I see no point in condemning our allies, especially as it has been stated several times that Eddy will correct if made aware of his errors.

Say the word and I will divert my time and I will go line by line and let Eddy know all the errors.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

If any other of the unscrupulous sellers listed it would be 100 bucks, not the 19 dollars he has it listed for.

Yeah, it's an Inland price for a Rockola marked sear? More confusing, isn't it? Would Eddy price a regular Rockola sear at $19 buy it now? And an early R stamped sear would be even more valuable.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 2:01pm
First and most important no one is perfect. Next, if there was little of or even no urge to correct carbines then threads of this nature would almost cease. I have said before and will continue to say that collectors are their own worst enemies far more time than it should be. It also amazes me that instead of changing their ways, those stubborn types just keep right on going down that same road. Yes, Eddy is a good, but even he'd tell you that things happen.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 2:05pm
Everthing isn't black or white. There are all different colors in, around and between and people fit into those colors by deed. Apparently pointing out three anomalies for newer members to learn from is likened to calling someone a humper? And I'm twisting what you said, Dan?

Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Do not twist what I am saying. Just being a club member does not automatically mean that you should know everything carbine related. I cannot say that he read the newsletters. I said he contributed. Mostly in sharing parts observed without comment of who made them.

All I can do is evaluate what you post. So he shared some parts found. So did I today, last week and weeks before that. Am I not considered a contributor then? Do these posts not inform members? Do I have to sell more parts at profit to be considered equal? Didn't say he's a bad guy. Selling parts for profit isn't a bad guy thing. It's a motive. By the reaction I'd think he was giving them away.

Quote Bill Ricca also sold parts for more than going price. What's your point?
And Madonna is an "artist". Has no bearing here.
Are you assuming something or not understanding my question wherein I asked if the sear is Rockola? I'm now asking if the low C Cowles post war band is Winchester as he states it  is. And regarding his pricing on the sear does it reflect his value for a Rockola sear? Does that support my questioning?

Quote C Cowles made parts for Winchester. I believe there is more information out there to be found as there are at least 3 C markings with a possible 4th.
Saying the C band is Winchester is like guys saying HI stocks are Inland. Technically incorrect.
I will capitulate the postwar would make it more inaccurate. Just the same a different seller would be asking $100 or more for the band and get it.

OK. Just a little pregnant then and other people are fully pregnant.

Quote If you look at all of Eddy's auctions you will see some glaring errors. I am not even talking about the description. To err is human...............

Nobody is a saint either, but from some of the hyperbole at the mere question I see you would think otherwise. He probably just got confused because it's obviously an Inland price on the Rock sear.

Quote One of the points of the club is to educate its members. The downside is the mercenaries that use that info to make a quick buck.
I'm here to learn and share what I know. Did we not get a chance to educate today on multiple items? It appears I made an incorrect assumption that everybody selling for profit can be discussed. Several currently posting on other forums were contributing CC members and I'd advise not even speaking to them. You will agree with me. They have nothing to do with this discussion because Eddy isn't them.

Quote So maybe we should stay focused on condemning the humpers, inform those we can. 
I see no point in condemning our allies, especially as it has been stated several times that Eddy will correct if made aware of his errors.

Say the word and I will divert my time and I will go line by line and let Eddy know all the errors.

PLEASE!!! Show where Eddy was condemned in my discussion. That's infuriating to see you try that, Dan.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 2:07pm
 C Cowles made parts for Winchester. I believe there is more information out there to be found as there are at least 3 C markings with a possible 4th.
I will capitulate the postwar would make it more inaccurate. 

Elaborate on this, just curious.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 2:15pm
Yes, would like to know of the 3rd and possible 4th too because learning is the purpose of this thread, not as falsely accused of for condemning someone.

Perhaps the W post war made by government contract but not for any specific maker is the 3rd or 4th?
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 3:15pm
Milling looks so rough.
For me hard to see a I, picture isn't the greatest.

Either way..... Has anyone brought it to Eddie's attention?
I'd be willing to message him if someone hasn't already.

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 4:50pm
My monitor isn't very good, but it looks like an I sitting there.

Officially, there is no condemnation intended. We're engaged in a hobby here, seeking info for our collections and to share some of that. 81mm has way over TEN THOUSAND GB feedbacks for business transactions, almost all as a parts seller. That's obviously just not our motivation. It doesn't mean he's a bad guy or that he isn't a hobbiest too, but it's still 10730 just in feedbacks.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 5:22pm
Eddy pulled the 2 items in question until he gets back home to make corrections if needed.
He's been visiting the Grandkids.

He appreciated being informed about the listings.

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 8:08pm
Thank you painter 777................................
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 8:30pm
I guess some of the info listed above will not be elaborated on meaning one will have to draw their own conclusions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>